Permission Slip

turkey foot

I read in one of the threads that the game warden asked for a permission slip .Is this a law or rule that you must carry one on your person ? The lease I belong to in Harris county does not provide members with a permission slip, is it something we realy need?
How I long for the days in the mid sixties when I could hunt whereever I wanted in Georgia without having to pay lease fees and never seeing a posted sign on every other tree.

Granted there werent nearly as many deer in those days, you really had to work to get your venison, but I sure prefered those days to what hunting is now.

Toliver

To be on your own lease you don't have to carry written permission. It is a good idea however to have some type of membership cards. If you're just hunting on someone's land where it's possible you'll be questioned, you need written permission. Especially if the landowner has an agreement with the game warden to prosecute people for hunting without permission.

Toliver

Yes. And video footage of you signing the closing papers.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Toliver said:
Yes. And video footage of you signing the closing papers.

Are you sure? I thought legislation was just passed that allowed a simple photograph to cover this. ::huh: I think it was challenged in a recent court case and eventually struck down. The lawyer argued the interpretation of "video footage", saying that it could also be considered a polaroid or still picture. Passir vs. State of Georgia was the court case. A fellow by the name of Trey S. Passir (a French fellow, I believe) was arrested by the game warden for hunting on some private property previously owned by Yuron Meland. Mr. Meland had just recently sold the land to Mr. Passir. All that Mr. Passir had was a polaroid of the signing, which the officer refused to accept, even though the picture clearly showed Mr. Meland, Mr. Passir, and Mr. Passir's lawyer, Sonny V. Beech, shaking hands with the closing papers in clear sight on a nearby table!

Anyway, I may be wrong! ::huh: :rolleyes: :)

Toliver

No doubt the work of a trial lawyer screwing things up for the rest of us.

short stop

PLEASE -----HEED MY WARNING FRIEND ! If you hunt on private land you better get written permisson from the owner . Not to say they wont always remember you but ----IF a land owner all of a sudden changes his mind telling you can hunt a tract today ----TOMMOROW YOU ARE A TRESSPASSER . Sometimes busy people forget what they say-- or forget to tell all parties involved''land managers, relatives or other friends " . Its alot easier to show proof than answer ?'s from the WARDEN ---or alot of angry people you dont know .SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE TRUST ME ! SS :banginghe It takes longer to Build the bridge than it does to BURN it .

Last edited:

Hntr130

As far as I know there is a law against not having written permission. Most of the game wardens I have talked to tell me that if the land is posted you must have written permission on you. If the land is not posted then you only have to have verbal permission.

I would think it would solved a lot of problems by having something in writing from the landowner or lessee of the property to protect yourself.

Happy Huntin

Randy

Here is my take. If a Man says I can hunt his property and then he has me arrested for trespassing. Trespassing will be the least of his worries! I am still a believer in a man's word! If he gives it to me I take it. If he breaks it. We both have got problems. Some how I still want to hang on to the old "man and his word way of doing things."

Maybe I am out of touch with the real world.

Randy

NO! You have to write me a permission slip to hunt your land! :bounce:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
In Georgia...........

a landowner can swear out an affidavit with the DNR that allows :) a warden to arrest anyone caught on said land without contacting the land owner...........I have done this on my personal farm.............on "exhibit B" of the form, you list those folks that you have granted permission to hunt..............ANYONE else is fair game.

Slug-Gunner

It's What We Teach in Hunter Education

In Accordance With GA General Hunting Regulations (page 8, left column):

UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES:
Hunt without landowner's permission including power line, gas line, railroad and other rights-of-way. Written permission must be obtained if so posted.

According to the Captain of the Thompson DNR HQ, this also applies to family members (relatives) of the landowner that DO NOT RESIDE ON THE PROPERTY. This WRITTEN PERMISSION must be carried on the person WHEN THEY ARE HUNTING ON THE PROPERTY.

If you are hunting on a lease that is "posted" NO TRESPASSING and/or MEMBERS ONLY, then a "group letter" listing all authorized members can be carried or furnished to the local DNR office. Any authorized guests of members or the landowner need to have WRITTEN PERMISSION TOO or be in the presence of an authorized member.

Like someone else mentioned, it's much easier and quicker JUST TO PRODUCE THE "WRITTEN PERMISSION" SLIP, than it is to stand, explain, argue, and otherwise "get very upset" over this requirement (and probably ruin your hunt for the day).

:rolleyes: :eek: :speechles :banginghe ::huh:

Last edited:

mpowell

i've only carried a permission letter with me on once piece of property i hunted years ago. the landowner did have problems with individuals he had previously let hunt who still felt they could hunt the land even though they no longer had permission. sheriff's deputies were told to be on the look out for the poachers so i carried the letter just in case. never needed, though, but i did have a run-in with the poachers and told them they needed to stay off the land. never saw them again even though i bet they'd show up when i wasn't around.

JerryC

Here's a permission to hunt/fish form that I adapted from the one the VDGIF uses in Virginia. I made a couple of minor changes and plan on using it on places I have permission to hunt. I changed it to release the owner from liability for guests of mine, too. It isn't 'official' but as far as I know there isn't any 'official' document for us to use.
My Permission to Hunt form in Word doc

Last edited:
D

dave

short stop said:
PLEASE -----HEED MY WARNING FRIEND ! If you hunt on private land you better get written permisson from the owner . Not to say they wont always remember you but ----IF a land owner all of a sudden changes his mind telling you can hunt a tract today ----TOMMOROW YOU ARE A TRESSPASSER . Sometimes busy people forget what they say-- or forget to tell all parties involved''land managers, relatives or other friends " . Its alot easier to show proof than answer ?'s from the WARDEN ---or alot of angry people you dont know .SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE TRUST ME ! SS :banginghe It takes longer to Build the bridge than it does to BURN it .

Good advice ...... Years back I hunted a family farm. The owner gave me verbal permission. I even shared venison with him on numerous occasions. One day a warden stopped me as I entered the property and asked for written permission. I didn't have any. The owner had fallen ill and was in a nursing home. His son and daughter knew nothing about our agreement and had reported me to the warden.

The son and daughter agreed not to prosecute, however they told me not to come back. I agreed to get my ladder stands out and stay out.

To this day I believe that they think I was tresspassing.

Be careful, and get all agreements in writing!!! Most landowners like getting a list of your contact numbers and a release from liability anyway. It works to protect both you and the landowner.

D

dave

I like it

JerryC said:
Here's a permission to hunt/fish form that I adapted from the one the VDGIF uses in Virginia. I made a couple of minor changes and plan on using it on places I have permission to hunt. I changed it to release the owner from liability for guests of mine, too. It isn't 'official' but as far as I know there isn't any 'official' document for us to use.
My Permission to Hunt form in Word doc

JerryC .... thanks! I can incorporate the pledge from your form to mine and spice it up.

Toliver

Speaking from experience, I can assure you that you WON'T convince any law enforcement folks that you have permission to hunt private property unless you can produce written permission. Saying, "But the owner said I could" will only get you a mean look and a "Uh huh, yeah right. Now Leave" from the officer. Unless of course the owner filled out that affidavit that coon dawg mentioned and then you're just going to jail.