Little Creek Down Today

tbgator

Banned
Went out this morning in search of Creek Monster. Everyone was of the same opinion last night that birds should be gobblin crazy this morning. Well, so much for opinions. Heard one bird gobble one time way off. Hunted 3 different spots an hour at the time and managed to fire up one hen. I decided to go back to Creek's domain and sit out my last hour there at 11:00.I decided against taking a decoy and boy was that the right call. Set up and soft called for awhile. I was watching a skidder lane that runs off the club road down to the creek that the birds frequently travel. I noticed fresh gobbler tracks in the club road as I was walking in. Thought maybe just maybe he was still around. I decided to give it up if I hadn't had any response by 12:00. At about 11:50 I took out my Scott's Cutter and threw out some loud cuts and yelps. Bingo, I heard a gobble several hundred yds out. Went back to clucking on my slate but loud. He gobbled again but closer. I knew he was coming. At about 12:30 I had him inside 100 yds. I clucked 3 times and he gobbled 3 times. I shut up and watched his direction. Shortly I saw him coming down the hill through the thick pines toward the club road. He hit the road and went into strut. I started purring at him at 50 yds and he broke strut and came down the lane looking for me spitting and drumming the whole way. It was an awesome sight watching him in and out of strut and drumming as he moved closer. When he hit a good shooting lane at 15 yds I let him have it and he took a full load of 3.5's to the head. He had a nice rope at 11.5 inches and 1" spurs, weighed 20 lbs. Kinda surprised at the spurs but all I was seeing was the beard.You never know. It wasn't Creek today but it was a good midday textbook hunt. Makes ya feel better about stayin out there late. Left there and went to another property with confidence and low and behold I spotted another good bird at 100 yds walking through some open pines at 3:00. Sat down in the road and hit the slate 3 clucks and he took off like he had seen a ghost. Musta had a bad experience recently with a slate cluck I guess cause he was call shy.Close to two but no cigar. It was a good day.

Attachments

• DSCF0736.jpg
    DSCF0736.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCF0738.jpg
    DSCF0738.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

blindhog

Good rope!! I know you deserved this one! You been huntin' hard! :banana:
Persistance, Patience, .....POW!

Settle down now and concentrate on CM #1. :bounce:

Arrow3

Nice bird!! :yeah:

GobblingDawg

Good bird with a good hunting story to go along!

Go Dawgs and thank God for turkey season,
GobblingDawg

sman

Congrats!!!

Bet you thought it was the creek monster with that big ole beard. I know you want to get him. It is kinda like you bought a lottery ticket and missed the big money by one number, but you still won some money. Nice bird, next one I want to see on here from you is "THE CREEK MONSTER".

tbgator

Banned
Congrats!!!

Bet you thought it was the creek monster with that big ole beard. I know you want to get him. It is kinda like you bought a lottery ticket and missed the big money by one number, but you still won some money. Nice bird, next one I want to see on here from you is "THE CREEK MONSTER".

I am still trying to locate ole Creek Monster. He has either changed roost locations, gone silent, or been killed.He gobbled alot late in the season last year so maybe he will crank back up. I still haven't lost hope he is around. I saw him about a week ago but I haven't heard him on the roost since week before opening day.Had I not had my 4 yr old grandson with me I would have jellied him then.One of those come around a curve in the road and there he stood looking away.Gun on my shoulder and grandson hollering look, look !!!!!:bounce:I've never seen a turkey that big move so fast.