Jody Hawk... one heck of a fellow

B

Beagle Boy

This post is thank my buddy Jody.

Jody and I turkey hunt the same piece of dirt. He'd been on some good gobbling birds this spring, and I had been struggling somewhat.

I PMed him yesterday and told him I was headed out for an evening hunt. Two minutes later my phone rang at work, and he tells me to get a piece of paper and a pen... he was going to put me on a place he knew I'd kill a bird. I started not to even go - kind of hated to go and hunt a bird Jody had been fooling with - but I said what the heck. He's nice enough to do that, I'll take him up on the offer.

I get to the area about 5:30, and there's two birds gobbling to crows. For the next hour and 45 minutes I do very little soft calling, clucks & purrs. That joker gets 50 yards from me and is gobbling on and off. I pretty much shut up. He knew just where I was at, but he wasn't going to close the distance.

As he eased off, I was able to move and stay very close to him. He'd gobble at crows, thank goodness. That really helped me to stay close.

Finally, at 7:15 three jakes jump all over this turkey. I hear wing beats and fighting purrs; it was awesome. They chase him by me at 50 yards. He's on a dead run and goes out of sight. Over the next 90 seconds I hear him running in the leaves. He makes a big loop, comes right in my lap and clucks one time... as if to say, "I'm getting my tail whooped by these young birds, let's get outta here... :hair:"

That just shows you that gobbler knew where I was at all along.

If it weren't for those jakes, and Jody Hawk, of course, I wouldn't have killed that bird. Kind of funny, watched a jake at 10 yards on Tuesday. My dad said those jakes were paying me back.. :bounce:

He's the biggest gobbler I've ever put on scales, 21 pounds, 9 3/4-inch beard and 1 1/16-inch spurs.

Jody, you're a good friend for doing what you did. I've never had anyone call me up and say go to this exact spot for a bird. You know as much as I do how hard those birds can be to kill.

I thank you my friend, and yes, I owe you a bird.

Proverbs 22:9, "A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor."

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Congratulations to both of you and Jody way to help a man out......It's rare to find folks like you in today's Me,My selfish World.

Post some pics if you got em.

Robert

Handgunner

Way to go Brad!!! And my hat is off to you Jody for lookin' out for a buddy like that!

But, we need pictures! :D

Arrow3

Congrats Brad!! That Jody is a good ole guy for sure!!! I knew that was a good bird that Jody was on...I went in there one morning with him....I could tell the way that bird acted he was gonna be a good one...Lets see some pics!! :yeah:

B

Beagle Boy

Congrats Brad!! That Jody is a good ole guy for sure!!! I knew that was a good bird that Jody was on...I went in there one morning with him....I could tell the way that bird acted he was gonna be a good one...Lets see some pics!! :yeah:

Brandon, was all alone, no pics. :cry:

My wife is even in Atlanta for the weekend. I'll take a photo of the spurs when she gets home with the digial camera. I wanted a picture of that bird bad... I started to drive to Monroe :bounce:

Jody Hawk

Brad,
I figured that you'd get him. He was right there in the area where I said he would be wasn't he? :bounce: That ole bird's habits was his demise. He loved that area (wonder why :bounce:) and roosted in the same spot every night. I came so close Thursday morning but he hung up and I never could get him to come on in. Yesterday morning he threw me a curve ball when he didn't gobble from the roost. He had started attracting lots of attention, I'm sure you saw all those boot tracks in the roads.

I'd already planned to take the family out yesterday evening so when you mentioned an evening hunt, I knew just the place. I have to work all weekend and I'd rather my buddy kill him than the rest of those folks running all over the woods down there. I'm glad you got him, if I couldn't kill him, I wanted you to kill him. You always go the extra mile to introduce youngsters to turkey hunting. I remember several years ago when you could have been busting heads yourself but you were trying to get your niece a bird. I know sometime in the future I'll be struggling to hear one and maybe you can put me on one. Congrats again !!!!

kevincox

Brad, I can do that for you as well with a deer but turkeys are a little harder to come by! Congrats

Greg Tench

Congrats. Jody Hawk is a fine feller. There durn sure aint many people who would do what he did.

turk2di

Jody is indeed a jewell! Not many hunters will do that. Frankly, i have done it for anyone that asks, & no bird i ever killed brought me more joy & pride than someone killin a bird i put them on, im sure Jody knows that feeling too! People like Jody are 2b cherished!

B

Beagle Boy

Brad,
I figured that you'd get him. He was right there in the area where I said he would be wasn't he? :bounce: That ole bird's habits was his demise. He loved that area (wonder why :bounce:) and roosted in the same spot every night. I came so close Thursday morning but he hung up and I never could get him to come on in. Yesterday morning he threw me a curve ball when he didn't gobble from the roost. He had started attracting lots of attention, I'm sure you saw all those boot tracks in the roads.

I'd already planned to take the family out yesterday evening so when you mentioned an evening hunt, I knew just the place. I have to work all weekend and I'd rather my buddy kill him than the rest of those folks running all over the woods down there. I'm glad you got him, if I couldn't kill him, I wanted you to kill him. You always go the extra mile to introduce youngsters to turkey hunting. I remember several years ago when you could have been busting heads yourself but you were trying to get your niece a bird. I know sometime in the future I'll be struggling to hear one and maybe you can put me on one. Congrats again !!!!

Jody, you just keep opening the door :banana:

I just can't help but post this picture... Shelby Reed, first bird, Burke County, 2006.

Attachments

• Shelby Turkey 004 adjust.jpg
    Shelby Turkey 004 adjust.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 429

Big A

That is a great story. Jody I don't know you, but people like you are the reason why hunting is the great sport it is.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Jody, you are the man.. Even if your a Tech fan!! :bounce:

Awesome experience! We still want to see the pics!!

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Brandon, was all alone, no pics. :cry:

My wife is even in Atlanta for the weekend. I'll take a photo of the spurs when she gets home with the digial camera. I wanted a picture of that bird bad... I started to drive to Monroe :bounce:

Heck you could have drove to jasper Id have taken the pic.:whip: