fella in rowan county, nc seen baby turkeys.....

brucemacgee19

my buddy called me today and said that he was hunting when into the field came a hen with her gaggle of turkey poults........ now I'm not a rocket scientist or anything, but when did she get bred? if the poults were two weeks old, then she got bred atleast 6 six weeks ago right? how in the world did that happen when there wasn't any gobbling going on till 3 weeks ago? I though the gobblers always came in heat or rut first, then a week later the hens got hot, then two weeks after that they go to laying? they should be laying now here? woody's need to give me some insight on this matter.

gamechaser

Bruce a couple years back I hunted a place near plains ga. and had a gobbler sounding of the roost within 50 yrds of my climbing stand. There was a hen coming up the logging road yelping and clucking. i watched him fly right down to her then she shut right up. Did they breed Idon't know, but i had heard birds gobbling around this time before. Iwas deer hunting and it was the second week in january. the first time i set foot on this property me and 3 other guys were walking thru fresh clear cut and saw to male birds fighting. it was the week after deer season ended.

huntmstr

Banned
It's very common in FL, parts of GA and SC for turkeys to start gobbling in January and, in certain pockets, bread out well before the season even starts. The drought we had also put animals in panic mode and started their breeding cycles way early this year as well. Our rut started around Oct 23 this year and I was seeing bucks chasing does all over the place 2 weeks prior to the normal onset of that activity. Central FL and lowland SC are notorious for turkeys doing the same thing. It's one of the reasons the Osceola is so tight lipped and hard to call...he's all but done by the time the season starts in most of the state.

brucemacgee19

how's the best way to kill them when they are like that? I'm open for suggestions. I haven't even hunted up here because sc has been so good I just keep going back. but if the birds are gonna quit up here, I might need to put some time in here first ...... I'm stumped

brucemacgee19

so this early breeding thing happens but I don't need to change to much to still be able to kill? or does anyone do anything different? or is it a big secret that no one wants to tell?

huntmstr

Banned
I usually revert to deer hunting them (being where they frequent and waiting them out). You will still get some two year olds that want to come to calls. Jake gobbles work well along with lots of purring and soft calling. Stay away from too much cutting and clucking...unless he starts to hammer it. Then it's on for sure!