you guys will not believe this

hawglips

Banned
I got a phone call yesterday from my brother out west who just had to report on the strangest thing he's ever heard of with wild turkeys.

Keep in mind, this guy has been the death of over a hundred turkeys, and has been involved in the trapping and releasing of hundreds more, and has raised penned birds for ages. So he's heard of or seen a lot of strange stuff.

Anyway, one of his hunting buddies was hunting a mountainous area that turkeys are not generally known to be in. These are merriams.

He had seen a lone hen a couple days earlier, and went into the area and did some cold calling. Eventually, a lone hen came in to him. She saw him, and instead of being alarmed, she squatted down into the breeding posture. :hair: He was standing up, and so he just figured he'd play the part. So he squatted and put his arms down like he was strutting, and did a spit-n-drum for her. She just sat there in the posture, and so he eased over and lightly touched her on the back. She jumped up, and went over further and squatted again. So, he kept "strutting" and eased over to her, and got real close (while she remained in the breeding posture) and grabbed her and picked her up. :huh:

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
if the hen was that desperate, i'd take it as a sign there are no real gobblers around for miles!

hawglips

Banned
if the hen was that desperate, i'd take it as a sign there are no real gobblers around for miles!

I'd bet you are right.

hawglips

Banned
could it have been a tamed hen? that is funny in more ways than one.:bounce:

Keep in mind, the guy telling me this has handled many hundreds of wild turkeys. He tells me it was a typical merriams hen in appearance, and was in a wilderness location far from anything except a highway. I just figure you have a case of a hen that has never seen humans, and has no toms around anywhere.

sman

He wasn't collecting and eating mushrooms while he was hunting was he?

hawglips

Banned
There is an interesting article in T&TH that Lovett Williams wrote in his usual Biology column, about predation. One point he made in passing is that humans haven't been predators on turkeys long enough for them to develop an innate instinctive association of us as predators, so they have to learn it, or see us acting like a predator. With that in mind, if a turkey never saw humans, and then encounters one not acting like a predator, but rather sounding and acting like a turkey, one could imagine it not making the predator association at all...

abolt2506

man thats cool!! However the jokes just keep coming to mind!1

bobcat

they didnt do more than whats being told did they !!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cpowel10

Well If i was alone with her, in the mountains, nobody around, no one would know.....I might have to take her up on her offer:bounce:

I just creeped myself out

Latest posts