Deer Repellent

Status
Not open for further replies.

YankeeRedneck

Isn't funny all deer season we try to attract deer now I have new trees growing in my Henry county yard and the deer think it's the salad bar !!! What works best Ivory soap or hair ??? Any suggestions ??? Thanks....

quikdrw63

I have heard that the hair works wells
I have seen motion activated sprinklers that are supposed to scare the deer away, plus I guess that it waters the yard for a couple seconds

Jake Allen

What has worked best for me is about a 3' circle of 5' fence.
Plan on keeping it around the trees for a couple of years.

crackerdave

Jake's suggestion sounds good for trees.
A DNR man whose main job was advising folks on keeping deer out of their gardens told me this,and I can say that it works when nothing else short of a bullet will: Put up a single strand electric fence 18" off the ground and put small wadded or folded pieces of foil with peanut butter on the wire about every 8 or 10 feet.The deer will touch the foil with his tongue or nose,and the jolt will go directly to the brain and knock said deer on his haunches.The fence might get knocked down during this process [make sure there are no wives,kids,or P.E.T.A. members watching when this happens!:bounce:] but if you immediately put the fence back up,that deer won't be back.He'll also have an aversion to peanut butter for the rest of his or her days.This is what I use,and it works.I've tried all the other things - hair,soap,etc. etc. and this is the only thing that really works.
You can get a fence charger at Tractor Supply that will run for over a month on 4 "D" batteries,or longer on the lower voltage setting.I think it's about $60.

The electric fence will work pretty well, as will mechanically excluding them with fencing, which is the only sure fire way. I've used pieces of aluminum screen for the PB because it's more durable. Make sure there are no dogs around.

Anything else, hair, Irish Spring, coyote droppings,--they will get used to.

They will even get used to a dog. Dog's have to sleep too.

hunter_58

What has worked best for me is about a 3' circle of 5' fence.
Plan on keeping it around the trees for a couple of years.

thats right, we use the concrete reinforcing wire, and leave it in place forever.

YankeeRedneck

Thanks Guys for all the replies, I think I will try some of the fencing. Maybe electrical fencing will keep the dogs out of my yard also !!! Ranger Dave, if I use the peanut butter will the tree rats go after it ?? Did you go thru alot of it ??

jason4445

Spray human urine around. A old timer I knew had three or four acres next to one of these 1200 acre deer lease land. Near his property line they put up an huge food plot and corn feeders. This guy laughed when he talked about how much they worked the plot, all sorts of tractors, fertilizing, spraying, planting all summer long.

This guy about two months before deer season would start peeing in a five gallon bucket on his back porch. Let it sit to build up some power. Then about a week before deer season he would put some in a two gallon hand pump sprayer and at night would cross over to the food plot and just beyond it start spraying in an angle towards his land. He would continue to do that every two or three days.

According to him, the deer smelled the urine on their way to the plot and ran away from the scent right on to his land. And man if he did not have some monster bucks on the wall proving it works.

So you don't want deer around - spray urine around ever two or three days.

crackerdave

Thanks Guys for all the replies, I think I will try some of the fencing. Maybe electrical fencing will keep the dogs out of my yard also !!! Ranger Dave, if I use the peanut butter will the tree rats go after it ?? Did you go thru alot of it ??

I'm not sure about the tree rats - with the wire being 18 inches off the ground,I guess they could reach it - but they'd only do it once!:bounce:
The peanut butter lasts a long time.I cut 4"x4" pieces of foil and fold the peanut butter in so the rain doesn't wash it off.Fold the top inch or so to make a tab to hang it on the fence,and fold that tab onto the wire real tight or it might fall off.Like a dummy,I picked one up that had fallen off and proceeded to hang it back on.Yipes!:hair:
25 ought six's suggestion about using aluminum screen wire squares for the peanut butter seems like a good idea,except for the rain washing it off quicker. It took me about half a jar for 400 feet of wire - I buy the cheap stuff.
My fence charger is a Zareba B10LI and it will charge up to 10 miles of wire [so it says] and it runs on either a 12 volt or 6 volt battery,or 4 "D" batteries.I use the D's and they last a month or more on high power,probably twice that on low power.Be sure and keep the weeds/grass cut under the wire,or it'll short it out and it won't be effective.
Let me know how it goes,in a p.m. so I don't get scolded by the mods.:)

YankeeRedneck

I'm not sure about the tree rats - with the wire being 18 inches off the ground,I guess they could reach it - but they'd only do it once!:bounce:
The peanut butter lasts a long time.I cut 4"x4" pieces of foil and fold the peanut butter in so the rain doesn't wash it off.Fold the top inch or so to make a tab to hang it on the fence,and fold that tab onto the wire real tight or it might fall off.Like a dummy,I picked one up that had fallen off and proceeded to hang it back on.Yipes!:hair:
25 ought six's suggestion about using aluminum screen wire squares for the peanut butter seems like a good idea,except for the rain washing it off quicker. It took me about half a jar for 400 feet of wire - I buy the cheap stuff.
My fence charger is a Zareba B10LI and it will charge up to 10 miles of wire [so it says] and it runs on either a 12 volt or 6 volt battery,or 4 "D" batteries.I use the D's and they last a month or more on high power,probably twice that on low power.Be sure and keep the weeds/grass cut under the wire,or it'll short it out and it won't be effective.
Let me know how it goes,in a p.m. so I don't get scolded by the mods.:)
Thank You very much sir, I will let you know how it works..

JW2

I worked a farm up north for a while, we used both soap and hair. The problem was, eventually they got used to it.

YankeeRedneck

Spray human urine around. A old timer I knew had three or four acres next to one of these 1200 acre deer lease land. Near his property line they put up an huge food plot and corn feeders. This guy laughed when he talked about how much they worked the plot, all sorts of tractors, fertilizing, spraying, planting all summer long.

This guy about two months before deer season would start peeing in a five gallon bucket on his back porch. Let it sit to build up some power. Then about a week before deer season he would put some in a two gallon hand pump sprayer and at night would cross over to the food plot and just beyond it start spraying in an angle towards his land. He would continue to do that every two or three days.

According to him, the deer smelled the urine on their way to the plot and ran away from the scent right on to his land. And man if he did not have some monster bucks on the wall proving it works.

So you don't want deer around - spray urine around ever two or three days.
O.k. I really like this idea I would have to hide it from the girls they would freak if they found my pee bucket !!

BlackSmoke

dont waste your money on fencing or any of that. get a bar of Irish Spring, or any other soap with a lot of fragrance. take a knife and walk around the area you want to keep them out of and start carving. just leave shavings around the perimeter and it should keep them away. no need to spend money if you dont have to. just my .02

YankeeRedneck

Thanks guys for all the replies I'll try them out and let ya know what happens.......

SCPO

i live in city and got tired of deer eating my garden. they really loved my okra. i put up a electric fence with 2 strands of wire. you can get everything you need at lowes. looked out yesterday and 2 small bucks were looking over back yard fence at garden. guess they waiting till beans get ready. think i will try the peanut butter trick.

The AmBASSaDEER

I saw some "deer spray" at homedepot next to where the bug spray is.
Have no idead if it works, just remember thinkin to myself:crazy:

win280

We just tryed milorganite for our food plots. The peas,soybeans and lalb lab are doing well. The milorganite helped them get established. It costs about $11.00 @ home depot for a 40 or 50 lb. bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts