Why living in Town Stinks

Dogmusher

I've always had land. Sometimes a lot, sometimes just a few acres (except for a brief time in an apartment). And I kept lots of dogs. But when I got transferred down here, we were pretty much forced into suburbia. I hate it. Nice house. Nice neighbors, but they are way to close. We have no sleddogs now, just the collie, the corgi and the belgian sheepdog. But even they are country dogs and all the noise and people drives them nuts. I have to put bark collars on them when they are out in the yard. Their kennels are in the basement, and they are quiet there. But I am desperate for huskies again. And beagles. Oh my, do I want a couple of bunny busters. But I don't have the room and can't risk the noise.

Do any of you who have hounds live in neighborhoods? If so, what do you do about noise?

JuliaH

Wow... you have spoken my sentiments exactly!! I am out in the country and love it... and my dogs will sound off anytime without a single complaint :) If the city ever finds us too close, we may move again...farther away!

Anyhow, my only suggestion would be bark collars or medically debarking them. There are a couple young ladies here who have some sort of a husky mix, and he is huge, and they are trying to rehome him.

Maybe, even in suburbia, there may be dog parks or something where your babies can play in peace :)

Julia

Dogmusher

Oh, I'm not against debarking them. I've had sleddogs debarked in the past. For now the collars work ok. We have a half acre back yard, so they get to stretch their legs and we have a nice undeveloped subdivision (one benefit of the housing slump) nearby where we can walk them. But it's not the same as when we could just open the door and let em run. I'm in a hunting club and they can run there for a few weeks yet, but it's an hour and a half away, so it's not practical for regular running.

JFS

Ackworth's not Midtown. Seems like there ought to be some space out there, isn't there? When I was looking for a boat I went to a number of places out there where it was unusual not to have a pack of dogs roaming the yard.

ABAC33

well i just moved 3 of my beagles with me into a neighborhood right outside of adairsville. they used to be out in the country at my uncles where they could bark anytime they felt the need. the first week was rough at night with my youngest beagle. i ended up putting a shockin collar on him and nick him when he woke me up. i've just purchased a bark collar and have not used it yet, because for the last week they have been silent all night (wood:smash:). so i hope they have come accustomed to the sounds and will learn to cope with there new home. they used to be kept in a kennel, but now they are in a privacy fenced backyard, so they get to stretch their legs a little more now.

Jody Hawk

I live in the county too but houses are building up all around me. I have a 3 acre lot and keep my beagles in the woods behind my house. I seldom hear them out there but when I do, I can scold them and that's the end of it. Just yesterday, my neighbor was complaining of dogs barking but I don't believe it was mine. If it was, shut your windows and turn on a fan. :bounce:

I live in a yuppy neighborhood, and we raise bloodhounds. I have plenty of neighbors that hate my dogs, but I dont give a rats ____. We cannot afford property and a home, so we are in the neighborhood right now. We would've already sold and moved out if the economy was not like it is. I HATE NEIGHBORHOODS AND I HATE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATIONS. I was raised on 28 acres. This is the first and last neighborhoiod I will ever live in.

UGA hunter

We cannot afford property and a home, so we are in the neighborhood right now. We would've already sold and moved out if the economy was not like it is. I HATE NEIGHBORHOODS AND I HATE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATIONS. I was raised on 28 acres. This is the first and last neighborhoiod I will ever live in.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!!!! I think you took my story! I'm out of this neighborhood at the first chance I see!!! :banginghe

Dogmusher

I live in a yuppy neighborhood, and we raise bloodhounds. I have plenty of neighbors that hate my dogs, but I dont give a rats ____. We cannot afford property and a home, so we are in the neighborhood right now. We would've already sold and moved out if the economy was not like it is. I HATE NEIGHBORHOODS AND I HATE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATIONS. I was raised on 28 acres. This is the first and last neighborhoiod I will ever live in.

Have you had any trouble with the HOA? I hate that, too. We can't even put up a garden shed without permission. And surprisingly, in many instances, HOA rules trump State or National laws. We were in too darned big a hurry to get moved. It was necessary. Until the housing demand changes, I guess we're stuck.

The bark collars work great. I'd used some cheap ones in the past that didn't work much at all. But these seem to be more comfortable and get the job done. The only down side is, the dogs learned very quickly when the collars are it's time to be quiet. Remove the collars and it's freedom. Of course even that has an upside. People do not come to our door or in our yard without being well warned. My wife feels safer with the dogs than with our alarm system. They would probable let me take a serious whuppin', but I pity the fool who would try to mess with Mamma when the dogs are around. :bounce:

GA DAWG

I live on over 200ac..Its pretty much fenced in with houses from subdivisions..I know its 200 ac but I've still had the idiot neighbors around me call the law for dogs barking...I hate it for them..Mine tree squirrels during the day and coon at night.SO,GET OVER IT!! I'm thinking about building me a running pen for coon..See what they think about that LOL........