Endurance

trout maharishi

I've been to Big Will's final resting place in Townsend. Walker's valley is as pretty as it gets in the GSMNP. Years ago you could drive to the end of the road and spend the day alone fishing up to the cascades and maybe only see a couple of hikers. Hoping all the other problems work themselves out. Fear of the unknown can be difficult to deal with. I'll pray for all invloved.

Last edited:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
That was deep in more ways than one.

It seems it getting harder by the year to find some solitude in this world. Its a shame.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Nice read, I first learned about fly fishing in those very hills and mountains. My Great Uncle, Bill Stevens ran the Chamber of Commerce in Gatlinburg in the 60s on through the 70s and was mayor there for a time. When he was old and retired, he used to talk about how he was kind of sad about the role he played in the commercialization of Gatlinburg. He was one of the original developers of Chalet Village (my family had a Chalet there when I was growing up) and helped with getting the Ski Lodge there. Dolly Parton spoke at his funeral up there when he died, he got her her first "gig" at the ski lodge. He was a passionate fly fisherman and hosted a local fly fishing show about fishing in Gatlinburg and in the Park on the local channel. He even got me a job one summer at the "World of the Unexplained" in the game room they had....where all the stoners hung out and played fooseball. Over my fireplace I have a print by a local artist up there, a Terri Waters (I think that is her last name, hard to read her signature) named "Bill's Heaven" of him fly fishing in one of the Park's creeks. I still have one of his old fly rods and a collection of trout flies he gave me, even a fly he tied that looked like a kernel of corn for fishing the river in town, was a "gag" fly I think because I never saw him use one....fly fishing was his passion and when he was in the Navy shortly after WWII he always carried a fly rod with him on his tours around the Pacific. One thing I will always cherish is I got to take him saltwater fly fishing prior to his death about 15 years ago where he was able to catch redfish after redfish all day (he had saltwater fly fished a lot before though). He loved it, but he always preferred chasing those trout in Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina, even though he had fished Iceland, Scotland, various remote pacific islands, all out west and the Caribbean to name just a few places his fly fishing passion took him.

Last edited:

hawkeye123

Man, that is awesome writing , felt like I was in those cool streams w/ you. My days and life sounds a lot like yours 0600 to 1800 every day. Need to get up to mtns bad. all my old spots up in Rabun Co are super crowded also, what can we do?, lakes are all crowded now so I night fish, might hafta move to Idaho or Montana, but then have to deal w/ brutal winters, can't stand to see beautiful mtns & beaches so crowded and litter everywhere!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that is awesome writing , felt like I was in those cool streams w/ you. My days and life sounds a lot like yours 0600 to 1800 every day. Need to get up to mtns bad. all my old spots up in Rabun Co are super crowded also, what can we do?, lakes are all crowded now so I night fish, might hafta move to Idaho or Montana, but then have to deal w/ brutal winters, can't stand to see beautiful mtns & beaches so crowded and litter everywhere!
I'd say the crowding is 10x worse on a lot of those streams in Montana and Idaho than it is here.

hawkeye123

I'd say the crowding is 10x worse on a lot of those streams in Montana and Idaho than it is here.
Yeah, prolly right , we are filled up w/ Yankee transplants, they have the dang liberal Californians !! Population density is what I want to get away from Steve, Northern Al ain't too bad.. LA ain't too bad either around Dothan. Bama is a red state too

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, prolly right , we are filled up w/ Yankee transplants, they have the dang liberal Californians !! Population density is what I want to get away from Steve, Northern Al ain't too bad.. LA ain't too bad either around Dothan. Bama is a red state too
They also have us. People coming from all over the country to fish there.

Latest posts