Blue Ridge Area House Options - fishing

TampaFly

salt guy from Florida. Thanks in advance for any insight here

Going to be in the Blue Ridge area this summer. My only input was the house had to be on the water, and we had to go before 7/4 so it’s hopefully not too hot yet.

What would you suggest as best option for being able to fish in June?

Fightingtown (upstream or closer to TN), upper toccoa, below the dam? I also found one on Noontoolta Creek south of aska rd, but not sure how it’d be that far downstream?

I’ll be calling the shop in town to set up a morning of fishing, but not really sure how much I’ll be able to sneak out outside of that one morning, so hoping I can find a the best spot to be able to fish behind the house.

Also, best bet for the kids to catch some trout? Are trout ponds still a thing like they were when I was a kid?

Geffellz18

If you’re staying on the river, you should have ample opportunity to fish right there given there’s clear access to the water and the flow is normal. I’ve fished the black mountain trout pond one time and had a blast. There were several families fishing when we pulled up and no one was catching anything. We asked the helper what the best bet was to catch a few and he informed us. Using nothing but patzke fireballs/gold glitter-We had about 10 dough bellies on the bank in a matter of about 5-10 minutes!
Well before that from Blue Ridge though, I’d fish Rock creek where the hatchery is. That time of year, you shouldn’t have any issue with catching several as that’s prime
Stocking season. It’s been several years since I’ve been up that way, but I’ve never personally gone to Rock Creek and not caught at least one fish that I recall.
Dockery Lake is another good option too for the kiddo’s.
My go to for these streams/lakes is a bright orange rooster tail w/ gold blade. When I’m having no luck with anything else, it usually comes through with knocking the skunk off for me!

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

Try to get a house downstream of the dam if you want to fish the Toccoa River, because the Toccoa can get too warm upstream of the lake.

Also, make sure you have the right to fish on the property where you will be staying. In Georgia, you can't wade onto private property without written permission.

You can float down the Toccoa and fish, but make sure you have a boat that can take pretty rough water.

There are plenty of trout streams on National Forest nearby.