Poison Ivy, Poison Oak

rubicon_in_ga

Can somebody please explain to me why a) no matter how many times I hear 'three leaves, let it be' I still have a hard time identifying poison ivy in the woods, and b) every time I see a hairy looking thick vine on a tree, I immediately assume it's poison oak?

Also, can somebody explain why I've been in the woods all my life (29 y/o), and (knock on wood) never been affected by poison ivy or poison oak? I'm sure I've walked through poison ivy a thousand times, but I've never gotten an itchy rash, splotches, or anything else.

Wonder why that is?

frankwright

Just do a Google search for "poison Ivy,Poison Oak" etc and you will find pictures of the leaves during different times of the year and also the vines.

It is very common for someone to go their whole life without catching poison ivy and then get a terrible rash. Your body changes and your tolerance to the poison can depend on how many times you have come in contact with it.

I had it two or three times as a kid, really bad cases and then I did not get it for 25 years even though I was always in the woods. Now I have had it three times in the last 10 years bad enough to go get a shot and pills.

I try to be careful, especially when looking for a tree to climb but sometimes it gets you anyway.

TreeFrog

Check poison ivy/oak out on the internet or have someone who knows what it looks like show you some. Once you know what you're looking for it's pretty easy to identify.
As for the rash, you're might be lucky and not be "allergic" to it. Some people don't break out after exposure- I am also one of those lucky people. However, don't think that you can't just because you have not in the past. Always treat it with respect. I know I have been in contact with it many times without ill affects but if I must mess with the stuff I wear the proper clothes/gloves and wash immediately. So far, so good...

westcobbdog

rubicon you are really lucky not to get this stuff as it is everywhere. I get it really bad and poison ivy puts a hurtin' on me 3x worse than poison oak. I have read the oils can stay active on say a shovel or a rake for years!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Frankwright is right.

That's punny.

When I was a kid I could wade in the stuff all day long with no problem. Now almost all I have to do is look at it to get a nasty rash. Then again 60 year old skin can get pretty thin.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Lousy Stuff!

As much as I love the outdoors I have been allergic to this stuff all my life. I use technu soap to get the oils off promptly if I even think I been near the stuff.

I usually have to get prescription steroids and sometimes an injection for a bad case.

That being said my Grandpa would walk in front of me. Pull it up by the roors and toss it out of my way. Some folks just aren't allergic to it.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Poison Ivy grows as a vine. Poison Oak is usually a little bushy plant with leaves that look a lot like white oak leaves, but are arranged in 3 leaflets like poison Ivy.

The one to really watch for is poison sumac. It seems to be the most potent. When you rub against it and get the sap (oil) on you, it turns black and looks like you got some grease or something on you. If you are in wet, swampy areas you might run across it...it's good to know what it looks like. Do a google search.

Probably 90% of people are allergic to urushinol (the "poison" in poison ivy, poison oak, wax tree, and chinese laquer tree)...the more times you are exposed to it the more likely you'll break out. There are a few people that seem to have an immunity, but a high percentage of people just haven't been sufficiently exposed yet to cause a problem.

I don't seem to have problems with it, but I try to avoid it as much as I possibly can.....no point in pushing my luck.

firstwatch

I never had a reaction to it in 26 years until last deer season. I knew what is was and didn't think it would get me, but it did. Technu works!

chevyguy

Poison Ivy grows as a vine. Poison Oak is usually a little bushy plant with leaves that look a lot like white oak leaves, but are arranged in 3 leaflets like poison Ivy.

The one to really watch for is poison sumac. It seems to be the most potent. When you rub against it and get the sap (oil) on you, it turns black and looks like you got some grease or something on you. If you are in wet, swampy areas you might run across it...it's good to know what it looks like. Do a google search.

Probably 90% of people are allergic to urushinol (the "poison" in poison ivy, poison oak, wax tree, and chinese laquer tree)...the more times you are exposed to it the more likely you'll break out. There are a few people that seem to have an immunity, but a high percentage of people just haven't been sufficiently exposed yet to cause a problem.

I don't seem to have problems with it, but I try to avoid it as much as I possibly can.....no point in pushing my luck.
This is an informational post, all good information.

A little bit more I can add is, it may not break you out into a rash and still have an affect on you. I used to get sick to the stomach when I touched poison ivy, even run a small fever.

He is right, you don't grow an immunity to it, the more you get it, the worse it will be.

packrat

Ivy, Oak

I Get It Every Year Bad. Worst Time To Get It Is During Winter While Sap Is Slow In The Dormant Vines. Been Plowing And Planting Foodplots For Two Weeks. Started Breaking Out Saturday, Got A Shot On Monday And It's Still Popping Up. Going Back To Doc On Thurs For Another Shot. I've Had It So Bad Before That It Has Left Scars. But I Ain't Giving Up My Hunting, Fishing Or Trapping Because Of It.

Slug-Gunner

Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac....

.... to those individuals that have ever experienced and suffered through the itching and painful rashes associated with contact of an oil called urushiol (you-ROO-shee-ol) from these plants.

It is the "oil" from the leaves and stems of these plants that cause the rash we associate with poison ivy/oak/sumac. This oil can be transfered to you by direct contact with the plants or indirect contact thru your clothing, shoes, tools or someone else who has come in contact the urushiol oil from these plants. It normally takes from 24-48 hrs after contact with this oil on the skin to start getting first the rash, then the blisters. On people who are "sensitive" to it, the rash can start in as little as 4-12 hrs. The KEY ELEMENT in preventing PI/PO/PS rash and blisters is immediate cleansing of the exposed skin and clothing/tools as soon as possible after exposure.

What this means is to:

1. Decontaminate both yourself and your clothing ASAP (As Soon As Possible) after returning home from ANY AREA you may have been exposed to them.

2. Decontaminate your clothing, shoes and tools first since you don't want to decontaminate yourself first, only to expose yourself again by handling your clothing and tools.

a. Wash your 'exposed' clothes in the washing machine separate from any other normal clothing items. Use dish soap and a sponge to clean your boots and tools off. (It would be safest to discard the sponge when finished.)
If your wearing tennis shoes, just drop them in the washer too.

b. If you are pretty sure of exposure, you might even want to wash your clothing TWICE in the machine, using plenty of detergent and stopping the machine to let it soak for 15-30 minutes during the wash cycle to allow the detergent time to break the urushiol oil down.... restart the washing machine and let it finish its cycle.

3. The easiest method for yourself is to take a HOT BATH using plenty of soap (like Octogon Soap). Wash and rinse once and then soap up a second time and let the soap remain on the skin for 3-5 minutes before rinsing it off.

Here is a web site that has some warnings about various "home remedies" which have proven dangerous or can cause more injuries than the original PI exposure.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/warnings.html

NOTE:
This subject was covered in detail last year on Woody's Campfire. Do a 'search' for "Poison Ivy/Poison Oak/Poison Sumac" to find this archived discussion.

One of the items I found useful from that discussion was the suggestion to use the Octogon Soap to wash with. The Octogon Soap is made using old soap-making techniques, and is basically a lemon-scented lye soap. When used within 4-6 hours after exposure it has prevented me from getting even a mild rash, while my (hard-headed) :banginghe teenage son didn't use it and came down with a "classic case" of PI/PO lasting a few weeks. He now believes that Dad is smarter than him and actually follows my suggestions more often now. :huh: :bounce: :D ;)

You can find the Octogon bar soap at smaller country stores and 'Mom & Pop' stores. It normally sells for around $0.80 a bar there. You can also do a 'search' on your IP for it, but it sells for around $1.80 a bar + S&H online.
Wash normally with it the first time and repeat lathering up a second time, waiting for about 3-5 minutes before rinsing it off. Pat yourself dry with a FRESH CLEAN TOWEL.

The TechNu products work very well and were originally developed for military use in chemical warfare as a 'decontamination agent'. The only problem is that they are quite expensive compared to the Octogon bar soap and other decontamination methods available. The KEY TO TREATMENT is in doing it ASAP after any 'possible exposure'.

I hope you find this message helpful.

scoop069

If your body tolerates it alittle, you can touch it without getting it. But if you fall on or step on some how and crush the leaves or vines, you are done. The key to getting rid of it is to dry the rash up. CALAMINE LOTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Mc

Never had it. Never want it and stay as far away as possible. But I have walked tru it many times.

pivey2s.jpg

TwinGlock40z

i haven't had any since i was 14 years old. all of them will make my eyes swoll shut. i used to get it bad. i know what sumac,ivy, and oak look like and i watch out for it and stay away.

my best friend was helping someone burn some land and he inhaled the smoke from one of them...hospital said it was oak because of symtons and what not. well he had to go to the e.r. it messed him up bad son. he thought he was dying. they had to put a tube down his throat and everything cuz his throat was so swollen he couldnt breath.

greyghost

Leaves of three leave them be, Ok now for the best stuff you can use Tech-Nu get it at allmost every pharmacy place the best thing about this stuff is after you have walked through it use it I think it claims 8 hours. I know I have used it at least that long after being exposed . You take a cool shopwer to rinse off the oil that has cotacted you skin . I have been in the woods with other people walked thorugh it in shorts in the summer they get it & break out I want because I have went home swhowered in Tech-Nu. this stuff works!!!!!!!! ok now if you do get it and I have had and caught had it in the winter from the hairy vines that are on trees the best thing to dry it up is Ivy Dri, burns like crazy when you put it on but the best thing also is you can scracth the blisters and rub it in it is about the quickest thing I have found to dry it up. Last year the worst I have ever got poison Oak was in the summer I rode through some vines cut my arm and the Poison oak got in the cut man it was bad finally gave up and got a shot.

Last edited:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I don't usually get it unless cutting vines off trees. Then I just get minor rashes, if any. I rub my arms down with vinegar if I get into it and it keeps me from getting it.

magnum62

I'm highly sensitive to it. I always have been. When you first start to break out in a rash, wash with dawn dish liquid. (it helps to remove the oil). pat dry. I use technu too. Rubbing the inside of a banana peel on the rash soothes or eliminates the itch. Also salty ice water will help soothe it.
I'm a little leery of taking any more steroid shots. If I can catch it in time, this treatment will get rid of it in a couple of days.

Nothing but a Cortizone shot works for me. I get it once or twice a year, and I just go to the local doc-in-a-box, pay my $40 copay, and get a shot. It's gone in a day or two.