Is catching animals in traps without bait a marketable skill?

Toliver

My wife seems to have a knack for it so I'm just wondering if I could rent her out.

I got home today and was still on the phone so I sat in my truck for a while finishing the conversation. She came out to the driveway which is a bit unusual but I just figured she had dinner ready and was seeing what was taking me so long to come in. She came over and peeked through my windows but knew if I was on the phone still it must be important so she didn't interrupt.

I finally finished and turned off the truck. I opened the door and heard a chittering that shouldn't have been where it was. I looked around and there was a squirrel in a cat trap. I just rolled my eyes and called my wife to ask her why there was a squirrel in a cat trap sitting on top of the trash can. And it was not happy. It was growling and running around in the trap like it wanted to get it on and didn't care with who or how big they were.

It seems the woman had put the trap out in the back yard and set it but was going to come back later to bait it. And why this squirrel was even in that area is the first question since I've never seen them there. But the better question is what possessed it to enter a wire trap with no incentive.

Oh well. Time to release it.

Now in the meantime my dog was in the back seat of the truck watching this squirrel with great interest even before I knew it was there. I let her out figuring this is a good opportunity for "leave it" training. I put her in a down stay and then commenced to the release.

Or so I thought. With the dog watching from one side and the wife from the other, I opened the door. And the squirrel played dead. I didn't even know that was a thing with squirrels. So she asked if I wanted a stick. Well I ain't sticking my fingers in there. I've seen what a squirrel can do to a Hickory nut with them teeth and my flesh is a bit softer than said nuts.

So I poke it with the stick figuring it would take off out of the trap and run up a tree. Wrong. The fight was on. With one hand holding the trap door open I was locked in mortal combat with this very unhappy squirrel. It locked on immediately with those teeth and wouldn't let go. I tried just pushing it out with the stick. I tried shaking the trap really hard. It was holding on tight determined to stay in this trap. Then I realized during the affray one of its back feet was stuck in a hole. Claws on one side pads on the other and twisted.

Couldn't just push it out with the stick. Too complicated of a procedure with it all twisted in there. I'll just use my fingers to turn it and get it back over the wire and untwist it. As soon as I touched it it swung around and nearly got me.

I finally managed to get the foot free. A few more pokes with the stick and it reluctantly ran out and into the trees.

I told my wife no more unbaited traps set in the back yard where there shouldn't be wild animals to start with inside the fence but where she has caught several rabbits, an armadillo and now a squirrel all in said unbaited wire live traps. I'm afraid she's gonna catch a badger or a wolverine or something. Then she'll just have to release it by herself. That squirrel was all I could handle.

Now if anyone wants to rent her for helping on your trap lines just PM me and we'll work out pricing and scheduling.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My wife seems to have a knack for it so I'm just wondering if I could rent her out.

I got home today and was still on the phone so I sat in my truck for a while finishing the conversation. She came out to the driveway which is a bit unusual but I just figured she had dinner ready and was seeing what was taking me so long to come in. She came over and peeked through my windows but knew if I was on the phone still it must be important so she didn't interrupt.

I finally finished and turned off the truck. I opened the door and heard a chittering that shouldn't have been where it was. I looked around and there was a squirrel in a cat trap. I just rolled my eyes and called my wife to ask her why there was a squirrel in a cat trap sitting on top of the trash can. And it was not happy. It was growling and running around in the trap like it wanted to get it on and didn't care with who or how big they were.

It seems the woman had put the trap out in the back yard and set it but was going to come back later to bait it. And why this squirrel was even in that area is the first question since I've never seen them there. But the better question is what possessed it to enter a wire trap with no incentive.

Now in the meantime my dog was in the back seat of the truck watching this squirrel with great interest even before I knew it was there. I let her out figuring this is a good opportunity for "leave it" training. I put her in a down stay and then commenced to the release.

Or so I thought. With the dog watching from one side and the wife from the other, I opened the door. And the squirrel played dead. I didn't even know that was a thing with squirrels. So she asked if I wanted a stick. Well I ain't sticking my fingers in there. I've seen what a squirrel can do to a Hickory nut with them teeth and my flesh is a bit softer than said nuts.

So I poke it with the stick figuring it would take off out of the trap and run up a tree. Wrong. The fight was on. With one hand holding the trap door open I was locked in mortal combat with this very unhappy squirrel. It locked on immediately with those teeth and wouldn't let go. I tried just pushing it out with the stick. I tried shaking the trap really hard. It was holding on tight determined to stay in this trap. Then I realized during the affray one of its back feet was stuck in a hole. Claws on one side pads on the other and twisted.

Couldn't just push it out with the stick. Too complicated of a procedure with it all twisted in there. I'll just use my fingers to turn it and get it back over the wire and untwist it. As soon as I touched it it swung around and nearly got me.

I finally managed to get the foot free. A few more pokes with the stick and it reluctantly ran out and into the trees.

I told my wife no more unbaited traps set in the back yard where there shouldn't be wild animals to start with inside the fence but where she has caught several rabbits, an armadillo and now a squirrel all in said unbaited wire live traps. I'm afraid she's gonna catch a badger or a wolverine or something. Then she'll just have to release it by herself. That squirrel was all I could handle.

Now if anyone wants to rent her for helping on your trap lines just PM me and we'll work out pricing and scheduling.
We all like seeing pics. Great story

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Pm sent ! But you better be careful , a woman that can trap and will come to deer camp and pick up her man’s deer and butcher it is got to be hard to find !

Toliver

Pm sent ! But you better be careful , a woman that can trap and will come to deer camp and pick up her man’s deer and butcher it is got to be hard to find !
Nah. There are probably plenty more where she came from.... Canadian mail order bride magazine clearance section.

BTW, I didn't know of all the animals she has caught in that trap with no bait. She said there has been at least 5 possums.

I haven't even shared the stories, or maybe I did and forgot, about the coon and snapping turtles she's killed with a kid's hoe from Home Depot.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
No need for photographs I have the entire video in my mind's eye

oldfella1962

Maybe the animals are attracted to her scent. :unsure: I mean that as a compliment BTW.

DannyW

Great morning laugh, thanks!

Toliver

Sounds to me like you have chosen a real winner in a wife. The only part I am a little skeptical of is that you were able to put her in a down stay before all the fun began.
The dog was certainly impressed I was able to pull that off. But it's really simple... I just threaten her with immigration and she obeys.

:yawn: