Win some, Lose some

sportsman94

Thought yall might appreciate a story this morning. This story started a few days ago when my catch pole started acting up. It wouldn’t tighten all the way or release cause the rubber coating had split and was getting caught inside of it. I cut off as much of the rubber as I could and thought that would do it until my new ketch pole replacement cable came in. Fast forward to this morning where I started off with a bobcat where everything went swimmingly with the pole. Next come to a coyote. Get it in the box, but can’t get the pole to release. The rubber was stuck and no amount of pulling was setting it free. After wasting 5 minutes I decided I would cut the cable and move on. Came up to another coyote and figured I would pin him down, grab his scruff and his tail/back leg, and throw him in the truck. This is where things went south quickly. The pinning went smoothly, grabbing the tail/scruff went smoothly, then I stepped on the levers and let him out of the trap. As soon as that trap opened up that bad boy spun around and grabbed me on the arm. I dropped the neck, but held on to the foot/tail. Pinned him again, and finally wrangled him into the truck. Spent a couple hours getting some post exposure rabies vaccine started and now I’m back home

IMG_9377.jpeg

The culprit

IMG_9379.jpegIMG_9380.jpeg

Toliver

Ok, not being involved in this particular outdoor pastime, I have questions.

1. Why are you wrangling live coyotes into the truck?

2. Do you do something with them alive opposed to dead like skinning them.

Hopefully them rabies shots ain't as bad as I've heard. Hope you get healed up quick.

Heartstarter

Wow! And I thought my Wednesday morning meeting didn’t go well. You got me beat! On the upside, you had a decent mornings catch! Hope you heal up quickly!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Dang bud ! Hope that heals up quickly ! A friend of mine down your way had the same thing happen several years ago . He said he found out they aren’t worth keeping alive for what he went through .

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Ok, not being involved in this particular outdoor pastime, I have questions.

1. Why are you wrangling live coyotes into the truck?

2. Do you do something with them alive opposed to dead like skinning them.

Hopefully them rabies shots ain't as bad as I've heard. Hope you get healed up quick.
There is a pretty good live market for coyotes . They are used in fox pens for running hounds . Not gonna get rich but it will help pay for some of your expenses and gas doing something you love to do . They aren’t worth anything dead . And trapping is an expensive hobby

sportsman94

Dang bud ! Hope that heals up quickly ! A friend of mine down your way had the same thing happen several years ago . He said he found out they aren’t worth keeping alive for what he went through .
I’m gonna plan to always have a second catch pole handy in the future I believe. I keep two pairs of most everything, but only had one of those. This one was just a fighter. Must have known I was gimped up cause getting him out of the truck and into the pen was almost as bad with a catch pole as it was without one this morning. I’ll be happy thinking about the dogs chasing him!

Doug B.

Wow dude!! That looks nasty. I have never been bit, but all of the close calls have happened so quick that there's not much time to react!!! And usually when you don't expect it. I'm glad it's not any worse than what it is. Be careful out there!!!!

Toliver

There is a pretty good live market for coyotes . They are used in fox pens for running hounds . Not gonna get rich but it will help pay for some of your expenses and gas doing something you love to do . They aren’t worth anything dead . And trapping is an expensive hobby
I never knew that. That explains a few of the trapping videos that pop up from time to time where they're pinning them down and grabbing them. I thought they were just showing off for the camera. That'll be my learned something new today.

That said, just don't try that with a squirrel. You may not make it out alive. Just sayin...

sportsman94

I think I would have killed him after that. Did the hospital not want to test him for rabies?

The health department and animal control paid me a visit wanting the coyote. Prior to I asked the doc at the hospital and she said she recommended getting the 4 series vaccine regardless of the test results since I will be exposed to animals on a regular basis (wishful thinking!). Seems like I would have 2/4 of the shots prior to them being able to test it most likely so I figure I’ll just get the shots and not worry about a test. It was just a coyote being a coyote and a trapper being a dummy

furtaker

The health department and animal control paid me a visit wanting the coyote. Prior to I asked the doc at the hospital and she said she recommended getting the 4 series vaccine regardless of the test results since I will be exposed to animals on a regular basis (wishful thinking!). Seems like I would have 2/4 of the shots prior to them being able to test it most likely so I figure I’ll just get the shots and not worry about a test. It was just a coyote being a coyote and a trapper being a dummy
Hope everything turns out ok. I rarely hear of a rabid coyote anyway.

sportsman94

@sportsman94 now that your part coyote can I get you to ride along with me and sniff out good scent post locations:ROFLMAO:::ke:
I told a fella today that I was hoping it would give me some Spider-Man like coyote senses and make me able to catch them better! It’s funny, I believe any of the other coyotes I’ve caught this week would have been docile enough to not have any issues. I just picked the wrong one cause that’s the kind of luck o have.
This one from today wouldn’t hardly look at me. She would have been a much better candidate for hand to hand combat.

IMG_9386.jpeg

Doug B.

I told a fella today that I was hoping it would give me some Spider-Man like coyote senses and make me able to catch them better! It’s funny, I believe any of the other coyotes I’ve caught this week would have been docile enough to not have any issues. I just picked the wrong one cause that’s the kind of luck o have.
This one from today wouldn’t hardly look at me. She would have been a much better candidate for hand to hand combat.

View attachment 1288698
Keep practicing! Eventually you will learn all their moves and be able to handle the baddest of the bad ones! ::ke: