Scout N’ Trout

BigBass123

Not sure what section to put this one under but got closer to a fish than a turkey so putting it here.

Started the morning out dark and early heading to a nearby WMA to go see if I could hear any turkeys gobbling. Unfortunately already raining by 5:15 AM rather than it holding out until noon like the forecast I saw yesterday predicted.

Started out driving through a clear cut towards a decent saddle connecting a drainage to a flat creek bottom. Parked the truck and as soon as I got out, a headlamp? started shining at me from right where I wanted to be. Kind of unusual in that it was flickering a bit and then looked like the guy started a small fire. No clue what the guy was doing.

Last time I was out there, I ran into two tweakers so not sure if that’s what I saw. Didn’t see a single other vehicle out there.

Went to another hillside to listen to a creek bottom with no luck. Did jump a couple snipe or woodcock, not sure. Went straight up in the air and I could see the long beak before they took off.

Around 8:00 I decided to head up another 30 minutes to the NF.

Drove to end of the road, tied on an orange stimulator with a black nymph onto my 4 wt and hiked about a quarter mile.

Saw a pool I liked that went under an overhang and connected with something on the nymph first cast. Didn’t stay on long before getting off. Casted a bit more in there but no luck.

Continued down the trail a bit and came to another nice looking spot with two converging plunge pools. First cast had something about 6” come up and grab the stimulator. Hooked up but lost it as well.

Continued down aways, fording the river twice. That water is still freezing for anyone wondering.

Made it maybe about a mile before I ran out of time without any other bites. Looked promising and I did have the two hits so I’ll be back when I have more time in maybe a month or so.

First trip ever fly fishing without losing a single fly, so maybe needed to get deeper as well. All in all though I’d count the day as a win.