A Narration of Saturation, Envenomation, Gratification, Inundation, and Satiation

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It rained here all week last week. Several inches. Last Sunday I headed out to do some fishing, or try to, after a day or two without soaking rain.

I headed across the ridge into one of my favorite creeks in the Smokies. It was really high, and still a bit off-color. I rigged up a nymph rod, and decided to try dredging some weighted nymphs with split shot. I stepped into the creek, and was about swept off my feet. The current was crazy. I carefully started working my way upstream.

Most of the places I usually fish, I couldn't even get to. About five minutes in, I was wading up the edge of the creek, and made a greenhorn mistake. I was studying the current seams in the next overflowing run when I reached up to push an overhanging branch out of the way, and ducked under it. I stuck my head right into a nest of bald-faced hornets. They were not happy about this. They swarmed out and stung me about ten times on my head, neck, and right arm. Felt like somebody driving 16-penny nails into my flesh with a clawhammer. I ran upstream through knee deep water, sliding on slippery rocks, flailing at the hornets with my hat and trying to avoid breaking my $400 fly rod. I finally got away from them, and sat down on a rock. There was blood trickling out of my right wrist and the back of my head from the force of the stings. Within a couple minutes, I could feel the venom spreading through my body, vein by vein. Numbing, burning. I half expected Sam Elliot to step out of the bushes and say, "Dang, that hurts, don't it?"

I began to get dizzy, and felt like I was about to throw up. I knelt in the creek and stuck my head under the cold water as long as I could hold my breath. And repeated it a couple more times. I took a box of snuff out of my pocket, and plastered it on the stings. As I was walking back up the road toward my truck, I saw a big bunch of broad-leaved plantain on the side of the road. I picked several leaves, chewed them up, and poulticed them onto the stings. I sat on my tailgate for about half an hour until I started feeling a little better. I started to just pack up and go home, but I figured I drove over here to fish. As Lone Watie told Josey Wales, I decided to Endeavor to Persevere. I stood up and put my pack back on.

I fished for half an hour, dredging nymphs through the familiar holes where I usually catch fish, but that were now almost unrecognizable and unwadeable with the high water. This wasn't working. I decided to head upstream. I drove to the head of navigation in the valley and parked at the trailhead. Maybe this trail will take me to better things.
trail.jpg

To be continued...

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Don't sound like much relaxation was had amid all the excitation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

turkeykirk

I was fishing on a mountain stream one time. A couple of hornets hit me on my neck. Felt like I was hit with a hammer. Not fun.
Glad you was able to stay on you for feet.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hiked a couple miles up a tributary and the water was still high, but at least it looked fishable here in places. Instead of the usual hitting the creek and fishing everything on the way up, this was more a pick a short fishable stretch thing, then skip to the next one past the unfishable torrents.

creek2.jpg

I saw a few small yellow stoneflies flitting about, so I started out with a yellow Stimulator. The fish would come up and slash at it, but wouldn't eat. So I switched to a small yellow Haystack, which is an old traditional hackle-less pattern that rides low on the water. It's the predecessor of today's paradun patterns. This was the ticket. I now started catching fish in almost every fishable run I could find.

I worked my way up for awhile, and caught about a dozen of these:

bow1.jpg

bow2.jpg

And a couple dozen of these:

speck1.jpg

speck3.jpg

speck2.jpg

And one of these:

brown.jpg

Just as I landed the brown, it suddenly got dark as night, and the limbs started swaying. Thunder rumbled. I was at least a couple miles from the truck, so I headed back that way pretty quickly. I had gotten maybe a quarter of the way when the sky opened up and the storm descended on me. Rain poured in torrents, and lightning struck down. By the time I got back to my truck, I was as wet as a person can be. I took my shirt off and wrung about a gallon of water out of it. I did happen to notice two nice fat chaneterelles growing right beside my truck, the first ones I've seen this year. I grabbed them, took my rod down, jumped in the truck, and headed back home with the heater going wide open.

To be continued...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't had any trout in a while, so I kept four of those fat little rainbows, two each for my wife and me. I baked up a cake of cornbread, fried up some taters with bacon and onions, and dredged and fried the trout, along with my two chanterelles. It was delicious, a good compensation for some of my woes and troubles of the day.

trout.jpg

Knowing then what I know now, would I have gone out fishing that morning? Yes, absolutely. I think I would wade a little further out around that overhanging limb this time, though, and maybe pack some rain gear. :)

Fin.
rhodo.jpg
elk.jpg

whitetailfreak

If a man doesn't get into a hornets nest from time to time he hasn't done much trout fishing in the mountains. I always try to look before grabbing a overhanging limb but those softball sized nests are easy to miss. Those suckers can ruin a day on the creek in a hurry but looks like you made a great day of it anyway. Good looking vittles also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If a man doesn't get into a hornets nest from time to time he hasn't done much trout fishing in the mountains. I always try to look before grabbing a overhanging limb but those softball sized nests are easy to miss. Those suckers can ruin a day on the creek in a hurry but looks like you made a great day of it anyway. Good looking vittles also.
You're gonna go clear all the hornets along our creek before we go camping here in a couple weeks, aren't you? :bounce:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve had that happen to me more than once. My wife is feeling your misery as see got stung over a dozen times yesterday by yellow jackets. First time I’ve seen a nest not in the ground.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve had that happen to me more than once. My wife is feeling your misery as see got stung over a dozen times yesterday by yellow jackets. First time I’ve seen a nest not in the ground.
Pretty common around here. I think we have several species of yellowjackets here. One kind usually builds nests like hornets.

Taxman

Ugggg! I need to replace my Epipen!!! Thanks for the story. Thank goodness your ok. A myriad of potential tragedies in just a few
moments:((.

Big7

The Oracle
I haven't had any trout in a while, so I kept four of those fat little rainbows, two each for my wife and me. I baked up a cake of cornbread, fried up some taters with bacon and onions, and dredged and fried the trout, along with my two chanterelles. It was delicious, a good compensation for some of my woes and troubles of the day.

View attachment 1236575

Knowing then what I know now, would I have gone out fishing that morning? Yes, absolutely. I think I would wade a little further out around that overhanging limb this time, though, and maybe pack some rain gear. :)

Elk?