Change of Address

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We've been moving into my old home place, and I've finally got some internet hooked up down here after over a week. When we moved in last weekend, there was about 4"-5" of snow, and zero temps. Memorable move to say the least. I was lucky to get internet service out here where I'm at. I found a local company that does fixed wireless beamed from mountaintop towers. I found a place on a ridgetop on my property where I could see the towers on top of Chambers Mountain, so a guy came out and climbed a bunch of my "free range organic utility poles" and strung a cable through them down to the house in the holler. I've got a start on the kitchen and the rest of the house, but still got a ways to go before we're completely settled. Anyway, here's some of the stuff we've been eating that I've had time to document.

Wake up, Arlo, we're moving!

arlo.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
First real meal: Granny breakfast in Granny's kitchen, where my grandma and grandpa and mom have cooked thousands of meals over the years. Mostly cooked in generational family cast iron, with biscuit dough cut with my mom's old biscuit cutter:

breakfast4.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some more stuff: Blackened chicken po-boy with homemade remoulade and such.

poboy.jpg

Stir-fry with cilantro-lime rice. Sorry, no plated pics:

stirfry.jpg

stirfry2.jpg

Deer steak and gravy, fried taters and cornbread the way my Mama used to make them:

deersteak.jpg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
We've been moving into my old home place, and I've finally got some internet hooked up down here after over a week. When we moved in last weekend, there was about 4"-5" of snow, and zero temps. Memorable move to say the least. I was lucky to get internet service out here where I'm at. I found a local company that does fixed wireless beamed from mountaintop towers. I found a place on a ridgetop on my property where I could see the towers on top of Chambers Mountain, so a guy came out and climbed a bunch of my "free range organic utility poles" and strung a cable through them down to the house in the holler. I've got a start on the kitchen and the rest of the house, but still got a ways to go before we're completely settled. Anyway, here's some of the stuff we've been eating that I've had time to document.

Wake up, Arlo, we're moving!

View attachment 1285637
How many stitches did it take to get Arlo to "move"?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Would loved to see some pics of the old home place. Pretty cool to be living in the house that was occupied by your grandparents and parents.
My grandpa built it with his own hands. I'll post some pics when I get situated. Nothing big or fancy, just an old house, but it means the world to me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How many stitches did it take to get Arlo to "move"?
He has adjusted a lot better and faster than I thought he would. He was ten years old this Wednesday, and he's been living in the previous place since he was about a month and a half old. He was already familiar with this house, though. We brought him down to see Mom often.

ryork

Moving is never fun even when it is a good thing which this certainly sounds like that is the case. Congrats on being finished. I would like to build on my Mom's/Grandparent's land before too much longer. Great looking food as usual.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the saddle! How’s the fishing access compared to your last place? My recollection is you were on the river. I’ve got nothing here without driving so a guy can get jealous.
I just moved a couple hundred yards down the road.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Great thread! Glad you're getting settled in. I think it's awesome that you're grandpa built it. My sister and her hubby built their house too. Used wood on the land and did all the work themselves. It took a while and I remember her kitchen was on the back porch for a long while.