Got the sad news today - I have my lease one more season.

buckshed

Had over 900 acres that I hunted which was primarily family land up until 2016...down to 2 tracts which total 230 acres with a lot of development surrounding the land...so now bought my own 40 acre tract surrounded by large landowners.

ucfireman

I’ve leased an old farm from a private family since 1997. The ole man passed several years ago, the wife passed about a month ago. Their only living child inherited everything and she plans to build a house and let her daughter move into the old home place.

Had a ton of good hunts, kilt some good bucks and turkey on it, cut a bunch of hay there, raised a few cows there, too. Got 4 ponds I need to wear out……stocked 700 cats in one several years ago. We do get to fish it a few more years.

My son grew up over there, and his 3 year son got to go hunting a few times with us there. Those folks were very good to us - we started out paying $9 per acre in 1997 and they went up to $12 in 2005 and we’ve paid $12 since.

This was only 10 miles from my house!!! We are lease hunting now.
Let them get the house and farm up a running, then approach the new owner, Granddaughter, and see if they would be willing to trade some predator control for hunting rights. Noone wants coyotes or armadillos all over their farm.
Or if she is single and has children, maybe offer to teach the woodsmanship, or even her.
Just a thought, you may only miss a year or two.
Yeah that is a let down for sure. Bought 30 acres in Olgelthorpe County, GA last year and leased the 50 acres that is adjoining my land. Now the 50 acres is for sale and had a great Duck Swamp too. Owner said I can hunt it for free until sold. Sort lived , but I still have mine and I'm blessed. Good luck on your new hunting grounds.
I would be trying to figure out how to afford that 50ac if I were you.
All I have is smaller tracts with houses next to me, I would love to expand my acreage.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Hate it for you Chris. I got the same problem all around me. The country ain't the country no more. The Yankees is comin'! The Yankees is comin'!

:emoji-puke.gif:

furtaker

At the least the property isn't going to be developed for housing like 150 acres near us is going to be. A developer paid over 2 million dollars for that property. Another big housing project coming soon, just what everyone around our area needs. Hate it for you that you lost that land though.

I will take a goat farm over a housing development any day.
And some weirdos call that kind of stuff "progress". :crazy:

Redbow

And some weirdos call that kind of stuff "progress". :crazy:
I can tell you that so called progress is booming here on our part of the NC coast. If I were younger I would vacate this area and get started doing so today. If you like living near the coast stay inland for 10-15 miles or so, if you like hordes of people every day on the highways and everywhere else then get as close to the coast as you can, you will have them.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Hate it for you Chris. I got the same problem all around me. The country ain't the country no more. The Yankees is comin'! The Yankees is comin'!

I did get some good news today……..the 1997 F250 farm truck……7.3 .diesel……..she told me to come get it. Title is in the dash. I’ve been trying to buy that truck for 5 years lol

Said her Mom wanted me to have it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I did get some good news today……..the 1997 F250 farm truck……7.3 .diesel……..she told me to come get it. Title is in the dash. I’ve been trying to buy that truck for 5 years lol

Said her Mom wanted me to have it.

So it's not all bad news. :rockon: I'm sure I can squeeze you in for a hunt or two on my place if you haven't found a spot by next season.

Triple C

All too common thread these days and most likely will get worse. I know many can't swing it right now but if hunting will be a big part of your future then try and put a plan in place to work toward buying your own piece of ground.

One of the best decisions I ever made 13 years ago and was sweating if I could pull it off by going in to debt at the time to make it happen. All worked out. And, barring something unforeseen, hope to add more land holdings in the years ahead.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Heeeey……..hit me up lol you know I be there!

I’ll get a place…..need to get you over, too.

We can do a turkey hunt because now that deer season is over all the turkeys will disappear. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We can do a turkey hunt because now that deer season is over all the turkeys will disappear. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I got a bunch of them. For about 8 more weeks or opening day of turkey season, whichever comes first. :bounce:

rstallings1979

All too common thread these days and most likely will get worse. I know many can't swing it right now but if hunting will be a big part of your future then try and put a plan in place to work toward buying your own piece of ground.

One of the best decisions I ever made 13 years ago and was sweating if I could pull it off by going in to debt at the time to make it happen. All worked out. And, barring something unforeseen, hope to add more land holdings in the years ahead.
Yeah besides the land we inherited I was able to buy another 330 acres. Still owe a little on a 183 acre tract but I bought it after a clear cut for $1200 an acre back in 2015 and replanted it shortly after so I have around $1450 an acre in it. It is a good looking hunting tract now.

I paid off the other tract last year. One of the best decisions I ever made was to buy that property. I have had opportunities to buy more and the debt scared me. I regret not buying just about every tract I considered buying now.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I’ve leased an old farm from a private family since 1997. The ole man passed several years ago, the wife passed about a month ago. Their only living child inherited everything and she plans to build a house and let her daughter move into the old home place.

Had a ton of good hunts, kilt some good bucks and turkey on it, cut a bunch of hay there, raised a few cows there, too. Got 4 ponds I need to wear out……stocked 700 cats in one several years ago. We do get to fish it a few more years.

My son grew up over there, and his 3 year son got to go hunting a few times with us there. Those folks were very good to us - we started out paying $9 per acre in 1997 and they went up to $12 in 2005 and we’ve paid $12 since.

This was only 10 miles from my house!!! We are lease hunting now.

Always hate hearing this. Good luck brother

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

My dad just said to me a few days ago that when he bought his little place down the road from you 25 years ago he seen more deer in his yard every day than vehicles come by . Now he’d be afraid to guess how many vehicles come by

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
And I got a bunch of them. For about 8 more weeks or opening day of turkey season, whichever comes first. :bounce:
You gotta get in there and killem while the killing is good!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My dad just said to me a few days ago that when he bought his little place down the road from you 25 years ago he seen more deer in his yard every day than vehicles come by . Now he’d be afraid to guess how many vehicles come by

That pasture next door to me used to be a soy bean field. Now it's McMansions and I bet not a one of them is owned by anybody from Troup county.