Ft. McCallister State Park

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
The wife and I just returned from 8 days of camping and fishing at Fort McCallister and MAN did we have a great, relaxing visit!

We arrived about 11AM on Friday the 3rd and got our pick of the tent spots. We took the one the farthest away from the bath house, ramp and any other amenity that would attract others!

During the week we no one within 4 campsites of us.

DSC04385.jpg

We had a "pull through site" so we could keep the boat trailer and truck near the tent with no trouble.

Here's the "Camp Cook" hard at work:

DSC04378.jpg

We had vacuum sealed marinated meats for the week in meal size packages but stopped by the Publix in Richmond Hill to pick up or other groceries so we wouldn't have so much to pack along.

Nothing like a crockpot full of red beans and rice and cornbread patties!

DSC04384.jpg

And of course we grilled some fresh fish from time to time!

FlounderRedandSpecontheGrill.jpg

(That's a couple of flounder a red and a spec. Pic quality due to camera phone.)

We headed down Redbird Creek every morning to fish or sometimes just do little sightseeing.

DSC04390.jpg

DSC04396.jpg

Like my Fred Flintstone Rod Holder?

DSC04392.jpg

We had great weather including a couple of great thunderstorms and one all night steady rain. I'd forgotten how great it could be to be outside in the weather!

Other than a few gnats it was an awesome, awesome trip!

I sure don't look forward to digging my desk out from under the paper pile tomorrow!

Randy

Man that sounds great. Makes me look forward even more to next week. I'll be at Skidaway SP next week for a kayak tournament we have in the area on Saturday the 25th. Of course I won't have a great camp cook like you did. I'll eat at resturants a lot and simple sandwiches otherwise.

Oldstick

I love that place too plus Skidaway Island also.

Did you get any pics of the coons that cover up the campround every night, unless they have trapped them all since the last time I went?

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
When we were going through the pics when we got home was the first time we realized that we did not take any coon pics.

At one point, setting around a rip snorting fire, eating peanuts, we had 7 head of coon fighting over the center of the camp! It got a little 'nervy' at that point!

The campground host told me that they had recently trapped 'about a hundred' but you sure couldn't tell it.

firstwatch

that place is eat up with coons. when we went, there had to be 15 at our site at one time

Oldstick

There were climbing all over the table and licking drops from the water spigot with us sitting right beside talking.

crackerdave

They're natives - we're not!:rofl:

Sure sounds like a great trip to a great park,Jeff.I'd like to give it a try!

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
We're heading back to McCallister next Wednesday for the Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm going to try to fish though I just looked at the tide charts!!:hair:

I'm also going to the Altamaha Waterfowl hunt on that Saturday to enjoy insects, gators, mud and sky busters!:cry:

I was excited about the adventure until I read some of the threads in the "Wings" forum!:cry:

I guess I'd better be sure to pack my big boy drawers!:bounce: