Boots....

Atlsooner

I think it's time for a new pair of hunting boots. Any suggestions from anyone about what kind or what your preference is. Any input or suggestions is really appreciated. :cheers:

dixie

boots

Rockys or LaCrosse either one are hard to beat. I like the rocky bear claws but Lacrosse is a good boot to.

CPiper

Cold or hot weather?

Its gotta be waterproof and have the capability to wix sweat away from my foot!!

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
If you're looking for a leather/camo heavily insulated boot for cold weather then the Timberlake is a real good one. I've had a pair for years now w/o any problems, though I think I paid almost $200 for them way back when.

I like my Rocky snake boots also for warmer weather, though I've only worn them a couple of years during the earlier part of the hunting season so far.

Burl E.

LaCrosse Alpha (Burl E.)burley if you are looking for rubber type boot. If not a rocky boot of some kind. Has anyone tried their sneeker boot?

Atlsooner

Cpiper....that's what I'm at a cross roads about. Ideally, get one pair for both warm and cold weather. Insulated or non insulated :huh: Dang, decisions decisions.

Atlsooner

Milton, I can't afford the big bucks like you :D My wife hides my wallet when I go shopping for hunting stuff.

dixie

Wal-mart

I wasn't gonna post this, but what the heck, the warmest, dryest pair of boots I own, is a pair I got at wally world two years ago, LONG story about why I had to have them, but for warmth, dryness and comfort, I love them, I think they were 25.00 I have a pair of bear claws and Lacrosse buckmasters and that cheapie pair is warmer and keeps my feet dryer on a cold morning than either of them.

duckbill

dixie said:
I wasn't gonna post this, but what the heck, the warmest, dryest pair of boots I own, is a pair I got at wally world two years ago, LONG story about why I had to have them, but for warmth, dryness and comfort, I love them, I think they were 25.00 I have a pair of bear claws and Lacrosse buckmasters and that cheapie pair is warmer and keeps my feet dryer on a cold morning than either of them.

What kind(style) were they, Dixie?

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
I like my Durashocs if Im walking alot.

Hogtown

I previously had used Rocky 1000 gram boots for cold weather and LaCrosse rubber bottom/leather tops for warm weather. I still use the LaCrosse, but I've changed my cold weather boots and now use Schnees pac boots - they are great - well made, reasonabley priced, warm, and dry. I want to pass on a warning to the Rocky wearers. I had a problem with my $180 insulated Rocky boots in that they squeaked like a rusty hinge. The local Rocky dealer told me that he had received numerous complaints about the same problem from a bunch of customers. The dealer had called Rocky and they were aware of it. It was an R&D problem with the sole - the next year the soles were redesigned. I called Rocky to asked about some remedy for the situation: Can they be resoled? - "No"; Can I trade them in? - "No, you're 60 days past the 6 mo warranty"; Can I get a voucher to defray the cost of new boots? - "No". Bottom line is they basically told me bite down/tough luck/buyer beware/suck on it. I threw away those boots and one other pair of Rocky boots, swore to never buy another pair, and most importantly to talk bad about Rocky until the day I die. So ya'll have been warned. They are pretty good boots, they are reasonably priced, but if something goes wrong you are on your own.

Nick_T

Banned
In my boots year round for atleast 10hrs. a day, best ones I've found for comfort and durability are Cabelas Outfitter Series if your need an all leather boot. Granted that they're not the cheapest ones out there, but out of all the ones I've tried over the years these outlast every one of'em. I get the non-insulated Gore-Tex 9", they wear awesome.

Nick T

CPiper

For Cold Weather I have a pair of LaCrosse Burley 1200's and when I wear em I use a bootie sox that is 400gr thinsulate with goretex - keeps my foot ultra dry and warm.
I HATE the ankle fit on them things ... HARD to get on and Iv pulled my ham string 6 times gettin em off.
I also have a paid of 2000 gram thinsulate boots. They were bought through a "discount catalog" for $90 because Rocky marked em as 400gram. I used em last year for the first time and LOVE em.

For warm weather I have a pair of $60 Redheads that are waterproof, nothing fancy, just waterproof. My feet can handle the heat but not the cold!!

Iv never owned a pair of snake boots; they look so hot!!

dixie

duckbill, I think the brands Brama, its the waterproof, insulated ones they run sales on.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Atlsooner said:
Milton, I can't afford the big bucks like you :D My wife hides my wallet when I go shopping for hunting stuff.

You're just not sneaky enough... :bounce: I go shopping during the day on my lunch hour, then again I ain't married either...:D Been there done that and got the t-shirts, though that's another whole different thread.

Seriously, if my toes get cold my whole body gets cold. The Timberlakes I've got have 1500 grams of thinsulate in them I believe it is and they keep my feet warm and dry even in the coldest of weather. What had happened was that I had bought a cheaper pair and they leaked terribly even though they were suppose to be water proof so I took them back and I upgraded to the ones i now have. A good boot is an investment IMO as a good boot will last me for many many years when used primarily for scouting and/or hunting.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Lacrosse alpha burly non-insulated and alpha burley insulated for cold. (just now buying the insulated version). Have used Rocky Buckstalker 1000 gram insulated rubber boots for sold last 3 years and never a cold morning, but they weigh about 30lbs.

Jim

Dough

Venting

Years ago, In Alaska, I bought a top line pair of Rockys that would not keep my feet dry. I sent them back, etc... and got shafted in the deal. Long story short, I'd go barefoot before I give Rocky a penny of my hard earned money. I'm not trashing any company or boot, but I told them at the time, if ever my opinion was asked, I would definately NOT recommend Rockys because the 100% waterproof guarentee does not hold, well,, water, but the boots sure did!

I use and swear by Wolverines and Herman Survivors.

For Real cold, I use Lacrosse Pacs, they're very warm, just not comfortable for alot of walking, sitting in a stand, they can't be beat.

Just my opinion.

huntfish

Jim Thompson said:
Lacrosse alpha burly non-insulated and alpha burley insulated for cold. (just now buying the insulated version). Have used Rocky Buckstalker 1000 gram insulated rubber boots for sold last 3 years and never a cold morning, but they weigh about 30lbs.

Jim
I use Alpha Burly boots, but as Jim says, well actually documents,..... See his feet photo. :fine: