Boot Conditioner?

SWAMPFOX

I have a pair of Orvis leather boots that have a built-in Goretex liner. I need to recondition the boots but I recall reading something about not using a conditioner that will clog the pores of the leather because that will reduce the effectiveness of the Goretex.

Anybody got any suggestions of what brand/type of conditioner would be best for what I want to do?

Thanks

Toliver

I was told at the Red Wing store to use mink oil on mine but gortex was not a factor. It's definitely good for the leather part but I'd do a search on the effects of mink oil on the gortex.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I just use kiwi saddle soap and a horse hair brush for application. A couple drops of water in the soap. Lather with the brush and apply until brush is dry and repeat until all the leather is treated.

Elkbane

I have one pair of Russell Boots that's 20+ years old, on the second set of soles. Uppers are worn but fine. Have a replacement pair ready IF they ever wear out.

The Only thing I've ever used on them is the leather preservative Russell suggest's, Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative.

Elkbane

earlthegoat2

Leather treatments only effect the Gore Tex by not letting it breath through the leather.

Don’t use SnoSeal or Fiebings snow proof. Anything designed to enhance water resistance is not something you should use.

The Gore Tex is the waterproof part of the boot so the leather doesn’t need to be.

Latest posts