Gravity feeder advice

Blackston

I’d have bet it woulda worked just fine ….

Blackston

You are write on both accounts - I bought the head and bolted it on and had some pipe welded on it to sturdy it up cause the head was heavy - had a piece welded at the bottom also to mount on the post
Gotcha i misunderstood I thought you made the feed tube “ thing”

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
May try that milkman

I would really like to make this work. I don’t want to have to go spin cast unless I have too
When I put sweet feed in one of my feeders, it filled up with ants.
May be a different story in winter...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I bought this attachment at Academy and the deer wear it out.
I have a problem with coons but we have been trapping like heck and I recently added bird spikes all around it but the feeder is empty till closer to deer season.

I have this one as well, it works great.

I have used it in 3 different locations. The deer learn to use it quickly. They will go through 300 lb of corn in 2-3 weeks.

Madsnooker

If you get tired of dealing with it buy a Banks feeder and problem solved. We have them as well as my friends that hunt near us as well as my sons friends that have 2 leases in Central Fl and they work great. Deer take to them quickly and never had any issues. We also built our own gravity feeders when we finally quit using the spin cast feeders and we were never satisfied with their performance. Someone told us how good the Banks feeders were and after buying the first one have never looked back. ;)

DSGB

I bought this attachment at Academy and the deer wear it out.
I have a problem with coons but we have been trapping like heck and I recently added bird spikes all around it but the feeder is empty till closer to deer season.

I have this one as well, it works great.

I have used it in 3 different locations. The deer learn to use it quickly. They will go through 300 lb of corn in 2-3 weeks.

I had the same one on one of mine and they took to it just fine. However, after loosing part of our lease and having to move to another spot on the opposite side, I went back to a spin-cast feeder because they would empty it in a week - mostly at night.

Madsnooker

I had the same one on one of mine and they took to it just fine. However, after loosing part of our lease and having to move to another spot on the opposite side, I went back to a spin-cast feeder because they would empty it in a week - mostly at night.
You can adjust the spouts on the Banks feeder and slow the feed down. With deer coming regularly it takes about 3-4 weeks to empty a Banks feeder on the lowest setting but only 1-2 weeks wide open. We keep ours on the lowest setting.

ddavis1120

Ddavis have you tried the post mount boss bucks - they look good
I haven't tried any of the post feeders. I like to move my feeders when it's wet because it gets so muddy around the them and makes a mess. I usually only spin the feeder on one of the legs and it helps keep from rutting up the place.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What do you guys think I should do? Just be hard headed and make them take to it or change it out?

The opening on the feed tube sold by Academy works. How wide is the square tube you have?
The Academy is about 4” square.

Have you tried Apple corn yet?

sghoghunter

You can adjust the spouts on the Banks feeder and slow the feed down. With deer coming regularly it takes about 3-4 weeks to empty a Banks feeder on the lowest setting but only 1-2 weeks wide open. We keep ours on the lowest setting.

Mine are closed up as much as it’ll do and they’ll empty in in 10 to 12 days

DSGB

Mine are closed up as much as it’ll do and they’ll empty in in 10 to 12 days
Yep. It has a collar that slides up and down and I had it set as far down as it would go and still allow corn to pass through. There'd be deer coming and going all night every night.

habersham hammer

Here is where I bought the head and they sell them all time. Just simply puzzling to me why it don’t work.

Attachments

• IMG_7197.png
    IMG_7197.png
    537.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7196.jpeg
    IMG_7196.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7195.jpeg
    IMG_7195.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 12

frankwright

1708705593711.pngI assume the squirrels and coons would just chew right through this and any plastic feeders like the Banks?

sghoghunter

That feeder and banks feeder are worlds apart in the kinda plastic they are made out of

The plastic is way thicker on a banks BUT squirrels will still chew a hole in the bottom of the feed ports and be sitting inside waiting on you to take the top off.

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 9

Sixes

I've had one out for 2 months now and the deer still act terrified of it. They will feed a little out of it but mainly where the coons have knocked it out.

The funny thing is that I had the same feeder on a different property across the county and deer took to it on the first night like the knew what it was and how it worked.