Feeding/Feeder Question

Big7

The Oracle
When hand feeding from a bag or bucket, is it better to put the feed in handful size little piles or strow it about like a barrel feeder would?

I'm trying to put put a little feed out without having to run it on the feed site no more than absolutely necessary so I'm not disturbing the site and also not "wasting" feed. In other words, making them work for it- but I definitely want them to want use it.

Zero hogs in the area but a fair amount of squirrel but I ain't worried about feeding them a little. Field mice, coon, etc, are probably around but how much can they eat? Not much. I just don't want the deer walking in there and eating it all in one sitting. There are a LOT of deer in the area where the feed sites will be.

Will be using feed corn and might try some of that sweet horse feed I posted from Social Circle the other day.

Thanks For The Replies.

Liberty

Just an opinion, but I think that a knee-high pile of corn where there has never been any may look a little suspicious to more intelligent mature animal.

SC Hunter

I take a bucket, tilt it sideways under my arm and rake out corn and "throw" it out scattering it about. They mill around eating it and don't just stand at a pile and eat.

specialk

cut a corner out the end of a bag, hold that end toward the ground, then start walking, they'll find it.....deer are browsers, they wont camp out on top of a pile till its gone....they'll nibble on it and move on........ but will come back later.....

Blackston

To answer question this should do it 586DC18D-B354-4B65-8F39-5FA226CBF251.jpeg

Kris87

Do as one poster said, tilt bucket sideways and rake them golden acorns as far as you can scatter them. Don't pile them up. You'll get much longer and better results making them work for them. Its not like they're in there eating and getting mad at how you threw it out. ;)

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
When hand feeding from a bag or bucket, is it better to put the feed in handful size little piles or strow it about like a barrel feeder would?

I'm trying to put put a little feed out without having to run it on the feed site no more than absolutely necessary so I'm not disturbing the site and also not "wasting" feed. In other words, making them work for it- but I definitely want them to want use it.

Zero hogs in the area but a fair amount of squirrel but I ain't worried about feeding them a little. Field mice, coon, etc, are probably around but how much can they eat? Not much. I just don't want the deer walking in there and eating it all in one sitting. There are a LOT of deer in the area where the feed sites will be.

Will be using feed corn and might try some of that sweet horse feed I posted from Social Circle the other day.

Thanks For The Replies.
I’ll also add that if you are putting it out on the county land you were talking about poaching on I’d for sure scatter it ! Good luck , hope you catch a big one

Blackston

Dang I went to church and the thread disappeared…. What I miss :pop: :pop: :pop:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
IMG_1640.jpeg