Waders, what do y'all use?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
While I normally wet wade if I can get away with it, now that I am moving into the semi-retired mode and have recently built my dream vehicle, I intend to spend more time on streams (and pursuing all the other outdoors activities that I love). Being in Georgia, I know we can wet wade for the majority of the year, but I have the desire to chase fish all over the country/western hemisphere with my fly rod. I just got back from the Pink Salmon run in Minnesota and it was fun, but it was not cold enough to need waders, but I plan on chasing some Great Lakes Steelhead this winter/early spring and then a Merriam's Turkey trip to southwestern Colorado in April (and I hope to tag out early enough to get in some fly fishing) and I know I will need a good set of waders for those trips. I am also planning a trip to the "Great White North" making my way to Hudson's Bay (they now have a road to it) and the Arctic Ocean in both the N.W. Territories and Alaska with the goal of catching Arctic Char DIY (along with hopefully gobs of Arctic Grayling and huge Brook trout, they would be on the way to Hudson's Bay)

I have a pair of Orvis Waders that have worked good, but it is probably time to get a new set. I have been looking at the Simms models with a zipper, which now that I am old and getting fat, sounds like a good idea. I am also looking at the boots that go with these. While I know many like felt soles, I have seen a number of streams that have signs not allowing felt soles, specifically out west. I am thinking about getting two sets of boots, one with the screw in cleats and one with felt soles.

The waders I am going to need are gonna have to be rugged and easy to repair and be easy to store out of the way. I am fortunate enough that money is not going to be a major issue and I certainly do not want to "go on the cheap" because in my 60 something odd years of life, most of it outdoors, I have learned it is much better to "spend once, cry once" than to spend multiple times and cry a lot.

Have any of y'all used the Simms waders that have the zipper? If so, I would really appreciate your thoughts on them, or any other really rugged waders for that matter.

flyrod444

About any name brand wader are going to be good. As far as boots I wear, korkers devils canyon. They are extremely comfortable and you can change the soles from felt to rubber are anything else in about 60 seconds. They make replacement soles with about any combo you can think of.

Djangofly

I just bought a set of Simms G4 Pros (non-zipper version) to replace some 10 year old G3 Guides that I bought used on eBay and used for the last five or six years without issue to the point where I was reluctant to even bother buying a new set. I haven't had a chance to use the new G4's yet, but you really can't go wrong with Simms waders. I beat the **** out of my G3's for years and they never had any noticeable leaks. They were also breathable and comfortable in warmer weather. Even though I hadn't bought the old set new, I sent them into Simms and for $75 they replaced the booties and patched them up. They make a solid product and stand behind it.

I prefer good breathable waders over wet-wading because I can break brush and not get scratched up. I also don't have soggy feet all day and/or blisters. I am less concerned about critters like snakes too.

I use the Vibram soled guide G3 boots without cleats. I am just careful with my footing. I have owned felt soled boots, but one outing with those in the snow was enough for me. Plus, there is the contamination issue you highlighted. Felt also doesn't hold up well if you are hiking into streams, which I do frequently.

Regarding the zipper version, they are probably worth it not to have to take all your stuff off to pee. Especially if you are planning on spending a lot of time in the next few years wearing them.

almoore

I think Simms makes the best waders (and they charge for it). I particularly like the size options as I tend to undertall (as opposed to overweight). For non-felt, I like the Orvis Pro with the boa system (much easier for an older person than bending down to struggle with laces) and studs. Buy a size bigger boots for winter fishing. Your feet will stay warmer. I like to wet wade in Ga and NC but started fishing yesterday morning with temps below 40 and was glad I brought the waders.

Concrete Pete

Bring some extra laces if you go with boa lacing. Will probably be fine, but never hurts to be prepared.