Waders, Safety, and Drowning

Concrete Pete

Hello all,

I’m knew to the forum, but had something happen yesterday.

I’m adding a post about it just in case someone finds it helpful someday.

I was wading near Jone’s Bridge maybe 2 miles down the trail from the parking lot.

Everything was going normally until I decided to go for an impromptu swim in my waders.

I was convinced that there were more trout on the other side of the river. I would later find that this was a delusion.

So I began making my way across. I like to go crab style with my back to the current. This lets me keep my weight on my back foot while I probe with the leading foot. I also feel like I’m not going to get pushed onto my back if the current knocks me over in this position.

I haven’t been wearing a pfd (unless required like between the dam and highway 20) and I usually use a stick I find in the woods.

Yesterday my stick broke really early on so I had no aid when crossing to the other side of the river.

I got across fine and was with a streamer close to the other bank. I was crabbing from rock to rock parallel to the bank with my body positioned sideways to the current.

After working from rock to rock for a bit I got overconfident and started taking longer steps.

At one point, I got chest deep and then made a bad step. Down I went.

I’ve never gone in like that before and always believed that getting water in your waders was a death sentence as many have stated.

Despite this I was able to remain calm. This is crucial. I found that my belt slowed the filling of the lower portion of my waders enough to leave some air in the legs.

I was able to keep my head up with back strokes and get my feet pointed down stream. The biggest hinderance to my swimming was actually my boots. Swimming in waders was like swimming in normal clothes.

I was able to reach a point in the river where I could stand after maybe thirty seconds (thank God).

The one nearby angler watched the whole show with what I imagine was disgust. I deserved it and felt the requisite amount of shame.

I made my way back over to the other side safely. The weight of the water trapped in the legs of my waders was a significant hinderance when it came to getting up the bank and I had to crawl in the mud on all fours. My shame intensified as the mud squished through my clawing fingers.

According to my wife, I’m a stubborn person. I secretly agree with her. This was the only way I was going to learn.

To make matters worse this was one of the few times I was able to talk my wife into going with me. She saw the whole thing and is now mandating that I wear a pfd at all times. I am in no position to issue a counter argument so it looks like I am wearing one from now on.

Had it been December, I feel like I would’ve frozen to death given the distance I was from my car and the heater therein.

I’m going to keep a mylar blanket, towel, and extra clothes stream side this winter just in case.

In sum:

1. Don’t go in past your waist.

2. A real, folding wading stick is a good idea.

3. The waders aren’t going to weigh you down like cement shoes and will become buoyancy neutral when full.

4. Know where you’re putting your feet and your limits.

5. If you go in, tuck up like you’re doing a cannonball. Keep you legs above the water high and the air trapped in your waders will help you float on your back (see Youtube for videos).

6. Stay calm.

I hope the results of my little experiment are helpful to someone.

fishmonger

Great job staying calm!

I like to wade sideways to the current when possible, that cuts your cross sectional area exposed to the current in half (the water only hits the side of your upstream leg, except when you step). Your reason for wading with your back to the current is not a good one, as being "on your heels" is a decidedly non-athletic position. If you have to wade with both legs exposed to the current, try and do it facing upstream, as then you are able to bend your knees and use your toes. Also, I wouldn't wade past my butt or waist in heavy current, versus up to your chest, as you have no room left for error when the water is up to your chest, as you discovered. Lastly, remember that no fish is worth dying for, and you can most definitely die in waders if you are not careful and sometimes lucky too.

I have been in your situation. What else I learned was to always think about being able to retreat, and to do it if it gets too hairy.

You did good given the situation, so just learn from it, and grow into an old fisherman!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Get chest waders? Wear a belt.
Personally, I would much rather have water in my waders than trapped air. Water doesn't weight you down, contrary to the old wive's tales. It makes you neutrally bouyant. Trapped air, however, can flip you upside down with your head underwater.

Concrete Pete

Personally, I would much rather have water in my waders than trapped air. Water doesn't weight you down, contrary to the old wive's tales. It makes you neutrally bouyant. Trapped air, however, can flip you upside down with your head underwater.

I believed the old wive’s tales about waders ‘drowning’ people.

The belt did help, but ultimately water is getting if you go under.

I just need to be more cautious and respectful of the bigger water (especially from December to February).

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I believed the old wive’s tales about waders ‘drowning’ people.

The belt did help, but ultimately water is getting if you go under.

I just need to be more cautious and respectful of the bigger water (especially from December to February).
People keep believing that for some reason. Lee Wulff jumped off a bridge once long ago wearing chest waders to prove that it isn't true. Folks still believe it.

I just don't try wading big heavy deep water, period. A fish isn't worth it.

Concrete Pete

People keep believing that for some reason. Lee Wulff jumped off a bridge once long ago wearing chest waders to prove that it isn't true. Folks still believe it.

I just don't try wading big heavy deep water, period. A fish isn't worth it.

I need to check that video out.

You’re right about the fish not being worth it.

I’ve just never gotten into any kind of trouble and I think I let myself get a little careless.

Athos

I’m glad all ended well and it’s always good to have a reminder that wading is serious business.

I’ll agree with most here in that the only hard and fast rule I have when wading any serious depth or current is never, never put your back to the current.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m glad all ended well and it’s always good to have a reminder that wading is serious business.

I’ll agree with most here in that the only hard and fast rule I have when wading any serious depth or current is never, never put your back to the current.
Yes, it is. We lost a good member on here a few years ago to drowning.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I need to check that video out.

You’re right about the fish not being worth it.

I’ve just never gotten into any kind of trouble and I think I let myself get a little careless.
I doubt if there is a video, this was a long time ago, in the 1940s.

Concrete Pete

Arguing with a moron about waders drowning you got me my final warning on pierandsurf before I was ultimately banned from there...

⚠️:rofl:

I guess most people who drown wading are wearing waders so maybe people think the waders caused it?

I used to think like that until I tested it myself.

I don’t think it’s the waders after trying it out. I think it’s the current, the rocks, the cold, etc.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Our topic revolved around winter time surf and kayak fishing, and getting dumped, or knocked down by a wave...

I guess that none of them could grasp the fact that IN the water, waders weigh nothing.

A guy nearly killed himself trying to drag his fat outta shape self AND some waders with some water in them back into a kayak.

When I asked WHY he didn't just unclip, it went downhill from there...:LOL:

Concrete Pete

Our topic revolved around winter time surf and kayak fishing, and getting dumped, or knocked down by a wave...

I guess that none of them could grasp the fact that IN the water, waders weigh nothing.

A guy nearly killed himself trying to drag his fat outta shape self AND some waders with some water in them back into a kayak.

When I asked WHY he didn't just unclip, it went downhill from there...:LOL:

Why don’t the surf fishing guys just use full neoprene wetsuits? Why aren’t we just using neoprene wetsuits for that matter?

I feel like a surfer wetsuit isn’t going to fill up at all.

fishmonger

Why don’t the surf fishing guys just use full neoprene wetsuits? Why aren’t we just using neoprene wetsuits for that matter?

I feel like a surfer wetsuit isn’t going to fill up at all.

When I first moved to GA, I used to fish at JB in my surfing wetsuit, and just wear my surfing booties (cold, smashed toes were a problem). That wasn't terrible in the Fall until I slipped and went in up to my neck, on New Years Day. Yikes! I had that same walk back that you described, and was pretty near frozen by the time I got to the truck. That persuaded me to get some waders. BTW, a wetsuit IS wet inside, and is fairly restrictive, so they suck to fish in, especially when it is cold.

Concrete Pete

When I first moved to GA, I used to fish at JB in my surfing wetsuit, and just wear my surfing booties (cold, smashed toes were a problem). That wasn't terrible in the Fall until I slipped and went in up to my neck, on New Years Day. Yikes! I had that same walk back that you described, and was pretty near frozen by the time I got to the truck. That persuaded me to get some waders. BTW, a wetsuit IS wet inside, and is fairly restrictive, so they suck to fish in, especially when it is cold.

Ah ok. Being from Georgia, I don’t know much about surfing or how wetsuits work.

Is it true that neoprene wetsuits allow some water in which is warmed by your body temperature?

natureman

Count yourself very...very...very lucky. I authored the downstream safety plan for the COE for the stretch of river from the dam to Hwy.20. Researched fatality reports going back to 1975. In every incident the deceased was not wearing a PFD.

Last edited:

TomC

Glad you are OK. Fly fished the hooch a lot over the years and I've got to say never really enjoyed it much. Always uneasy and a bit paranoid due to current, holes, etc. IMO some of the slickest rocks I've ever stepped foot on.....even with aluminum bars on my boots. Simms wading staff is worth every penny and then some!

b5fish

I floated through that section on my boat Saturday. Was surprised to see everyone wading where they were. Saw a young kid struggling to wade up stream to unhook his lure with about 2" of his waders above water. I tried to yell to him but he marched on, got a lifejacket ready and waited for him to complete his mission. That area can go from 6" to 6 feet. Freaked me out, no adult within helping distance.