Waders, Safety, and Drowning

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thank you guys I was just trying to make people aware of the dangers

Concrete Pete

You as well!

The boat is named Chatt 1, its an old retired national parks boat.

Wave me down next time if you want to hop on and check out some new areas.

Was good to see you out there today. I was the solo wader maybe a mile down river from the boat ramp.

Concrete Pete

Sorry about that, I didn't realize that was you! Hope you caught some fish

No worries! Just wanted to put my name to the face.

I will probably fish up stream closer to the actual steps on the Fulton County side this weekend. I need a break from all the hiking.

longrangedog

A 28 year old wearing waders drowned in the Chestatee river in the Turners Corner area of Lumpkin County. He left his fishing companion to fish a hole upriver and when he didn't return she called 911. A Sheriffs deputy spotted him submerged in the deep hole he was fishing. The coroner said that waders were a contributing factor in his drowning. This happened several days ago, so few details have been made available.

Concrete Pete

A 28 year old wearing waders drowned in the Chestatee river in the Turners Corner area of Lumpkin County. He left his fishing companion to fish a hole upriver and when he didn't return she called 911. A Sheriffs deputy spotted him submerged in the deep hole he was fishing. The coroner said that waders were a contributing factor in his drowning. This happened several days ago, so few details have been made available.
Praying for the family

longrangedog

Personally, I would much rather have water in my waders than trapped air. Water doesn't weight you down, contrary to the old wive's tales. It makes you neutrally bouyant. Trapped air, however, can flip you upside down with your head underwater.
I was a certified scuba diver when I lived in Tampa many years ago and understand that neutral buoyancy means you neither float nor sink but remain at the depth where you are. I had a spear gun that I could turn loose of at a depth of 100 feet (or any depth) and it would stay right there. Neutral buoyancy can cause you to drown if you're neutrally buoyant in water over your head. In the case of being under water you want to be POSITIVELY buoyant so that you float to the top. If you've ever had waders full of water and had to fight to get your head out of the water you know that trying to kick with your feet is like trying to swim with concrete blocks tied to your ankles. Flowing water makes getting your head out of the water even more complicated and thus dangerous. WEAR A PFD. The newer PFDs that inflate on contact with water or with the pull of a cord are much less bulky and easier to wear while fishing. It might save your life.

Concrete Pete

I was a certified scuba diver when I lived in Tampa many years ago and understand that neutral buoyancy means you neither float nor sink but remain at the depth where you are. I had a spear gun that I could turn loose of at a depth of 100 feet (or any depth) and it would stay right there. Neutral buoyancy can cause you to drown if you're neutrally buoyant in water over your head. In the case of being under water you want to be POSITIVELY buoyant so that you float to the top. If you've ever had waders full of water and had to fight to get your head out of the water you know that trying to kick with your feet is like trying to swim with concrete blocks tied to your ankles. Flowing water makes getting your head out of the water even more complicated and thus dangerous. WEAR A PFD. The newer PFDs that inflate on contact with water or with the pull of a cord are much less bulky and easier to wear while fishing. It might save your life.
I think what NC was trying to say there is that the waders, once full, are like another layer of clothes. I don’t want to speak for anyone else though.

I do have a question, if your waders fill with water and you’re already in water, how is that not like swimming in jeans or something?

I’m just struggling to see how the waders being full cause the drowning vs the boots.

cowhornedspike

I think what NC was trying to say there is that the waders, once full, are like another layer of clothes. I don’t want to speak for anyone else though.

I do have a question, if your waders fill with water and you’re already in water, how is that not like swimming in jeans or something?

I’m just struggling to see how the waders being full cause the drowning vs the boots.
If you have a wader belt on and it is tight like it should be then you are gonna get wet inside the waders but they are not going to balloon full of water like most seem to picture they will do. Don't panic and survive.

IMO panic probably is the real cause of most drownings with or without waders on.

longrangedog

Neutral buoyancy and waders full of water isn't a problem if your head is above water. When you're under water all effort is to get to the surface and that effort is hindered by waders or boots full of water. I nearly drowned after falling in a deep, swift hole while wearing calf high rubber boots. I found myself on my back on the bottom of the creek. My first effort was to stand up but when I pushed myself up to a sitting position the current pushed me back down. I abandoned the idea of standing up and rolled over to get on my hands and knees (head still under water) when my nephew waded out, grabbed my arm and pulled me to a gravel bar. Maybe I would have managed to get out without his help or maybe not. The 28 year old guy who drowned while trout fishing in the Chestatee river near Turners Corner in Lumpkin County was wearing chest waders. I don't know if he had a belt or not. He was a former cop who ran his own roofing business and from the picture in the paper he appeared to be in good shape. The coroner said that the waders were a significant factor in causing his drowning. My effort here is to encourage folks to wear a pfd. Things don't always go according to plan when you're around water and I'm confident that if the 28 year old victim had been wearing a pfd he'd still be alive.

cowhornedspike

Neutral buoyancy and waders full of water isn't a problem if your head is above water. When you're under water all effort is to get to the surface and that effort is hindered by waders or boots full of water. I nearly drowned after falling in a deep, swift hole while wearing calf high rubber boots. I found myself on my back on the bottom of the creek. My first effort was to stand up but when I pushed myself up to a sitting position the current pushed me back down. I abandoned the idea of standing up and rolled over to get on my hands and knees (head still under water) when my nephew waded out, grabbed my arm and pulled me to a gravel bar. Maybe I would have managed to get out without his help or maybe not. The 28 year old guy who drowned while trout fishing in the Chestatee river near Turners Corner in Lumpkin County was wearing chest waders. I don't know if he had a belt or not. He was a former cop who ran his own roofing business and from the picture in the paper he appeared to be in good shape. The coroner said that the waders were a significant factor in causing his drowning. My effort here is to encourage folks to wear a pfd. Things don't always go according to plan when you're around water and I'm confident that if the 28 year old victim had been wearing a pfd he'd still be alive.

I agree on the pfd and need to get a new one. Pull cord type.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m a kayak fisherman predominantly. I wear hip waders in cool weather as I’m wading shoreline after beaching my boat alot. Wear a PFD, I’ve gotten so used to fishing with it on its unnatural to wade water without it. Current is a powerful force, sweepers and strainers can be killers.

Every year there’s a tragic story of a new kayaker wearing waders for weather protection and drowning after a spill. A PFD would have saved most of them.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Could be worse ways to die... :huh:

I've used chest waders for most my life, all over this country and if I drown on the river, so be it. I'm not wearing a life jacket while Trout fishing. Stay closer to shore and don't put yourself in bad situations.

Tight Lines

The waders being full of water should be neutral buoyancy all things being equal. The issue is the weight of the boots and the wader top being open to catch water flows. If you've ever been pinned by hydraulic pressure you will know what I mean.

I do not wear a PFD unless I am required to by a guide, but I do keep a large flat belt with back support over my waders that keeps the bottom half dry for the most part if you get overextended. I also keep a stainless knife on my wading belt in case I ever need to vent my waders. Never have, but I've gone in over my head.

My boots are heavy as all get out when wet, or even dry, and that's your issue.

As a diver, we carry weight to descend but you are also carrying air, so you need the counter weight.

Sorry to hear about the young man, and glad that you were OK @Concrete Pete.

I went under on the angled stair steps at the Hiawasee once, those ankle breaker ledges are a bear...

Best thing to do is have a plan and not panic, sounds like you did that...

Concrete Pete

Yeah, honestly, I just wear one of those inflatable pfds when I’m on bigger water now.

I know people don’t like them, but it’s no more of an obstruction than the other crap we cary.

Staying out of the deep stuff is important too.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I'd say a lot of people who drown while fishing probably fall down and hit their head on a rock.
Some do. From my experience for most it’s just sheer panic. They get some water in their lungs when they make that first unexpected fall and it’s very quickly downhill from there. There was at least one drowning in my area (I wasn’t involved) where a guy fell in the water from his boat and drowned in waist deep water. He was too panicked to even try to stand up.