favorite tripod?

danmc

Anyone have a favorite tripod that's heavy enough for a DSLR with a moderate weight lens but not so heavy that you'll be miserable packing it around on a long hike?

DRB1313

Most everyone here has Bogen Manfrotto.
Look them up on B&H Photo. Lots of models and all are great!!!

rip18

I have mostly Bogen tripods with some Bogen heads and some other heads, such as Wimberley and Really Right Stuff. I really liked the Bogen mid-weight tripod with a good ball head for most of my photography.

Bogen does a "webinar" every now & then to discuss tripod selection, but I can't find an "old" one online, and I don't see a new one listed anywhere. (The same tripods are marketed as Bogen in the US and Manfrotto in Europe...).

You might try their Interactive Configurator - http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/site/bius/cache/off/pid/17218 - to get an idea of what might work well for you. You could then look at comparable products by other manufacturers.

Good luck!

Razorback

....not so heavy that you'll be miserable packing it around on a long hike...

Look at;
Induro's carbon fiber/graphite series
Gitzo's basalt or carbon fiber/graphite series
Manfrotto's carbon fiber/graphite series
Giotto's carbon fiber/graphite series
Slik's carbon fiber/graphite series

The Basalt, Carbon Fiber, Graphite are the light weight tripod materials. Like any other performance equipment you get to pay a little extra money to save some weight.

Like rip said Bogen/Manfrotto is real good at giving you ALL the info (weight of tripod, weight it will support, folded length, leg spread, maximum leg spread, lowest height, height of platform w/ just the legs extended & w/ the center column) related to their tripods & related accessories.

If I was in the buying mood for the latest & greatest geewiz lightweight legset, I'd look at the Manfrotto 190BPROX-I believe that's the correct name/number for the carbon fiber sticks w/ Manfrotto's new center column design. As for the head I would go w/ a ball head w/ QR maybe the 458 series.

I could suggest more but Hoss will slap my hand. There are several stores in & around Atlanta that have all the above.

Razorback

Hoss

I could suggest more but Hoss will slap my hand. There are several stores in & around Atlanta that have all the above.
Razorback

Only if you need it. :whip:

I have a Bogen with a ball head that works great. Normally, I have the Sigma 50-500 on the camera which makes for a pretty fair load. I have a shoulder strap on the tripod and that in conjucntion with the camera strap around my neck balances pretty nicely and I can carry it for a good while. Don't know that I'd care to tote it all day, but it's not bad for most of the shooting I do.

Hoss

Jake Allen

I have been looking at the Manfrotto 190Pro legs, (aluminum instead of fiber). Just not that much weight difference.
The 190 is tall, (60" i believe before extending the center; much better n the back), but will go almost to the ground. Pretty good prices on Evilbay.

I am using a Manfrotto 3265 Joystick head with a quick release plate. Man, that is great! I have it attached to a mammoth set of aluminum legs. I have been hauling all over the lease.
I will have it in the truck on the next hunting trip(s). You are welcome to give it a try.