Putnam County Questions

marknga

GONetwork Member
We are leasing some property due west of Eatonton down Hwy 16 about 5 or 6 miles (at the intersection with 142). I was wondering if any of you guys are familar with that area? I know it use to be part of the Oconee Nat'l Forest.
We are one of three clubs there and I believe there is some potential. Have to say that I have only seen does while bow hunting but some of the other members have seen bucks.
The high winds pretty much have blown all of the acorns out of the trees but the deer seem to be ignoring them. Our food plots are getting hammered! The ironclad peas didn't have a chance!
I have never hunted Putnam county before ( grew up hunting in Houston/Twiggs mainly. Hunt some in Franklin county) so I'm not real sure about what to expect this season. Regardless I am ready for the gun season to start.
Good luck this season.

Mark

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Mark, Putnam County has always carried a large number of deer along with some gooduns as well. You are in a real good area where you're at as you are close to the Morgan County line which is also known to have some gooduns.

How many acres and how many hunters are in your club?

marknga

GONetwork Member
I have heard that there are some gooduns around there. We have 350 acres with 7 members (plus family members, etc.) We are leasing the property from Talmage Holder who has a farm/hunting plantation a few miles away; "Talmo Farms" I believe. There are clubs on each side of us, one 650 acres and the other about 300 acres.
Lot of potential. I am excited for the first time in along time.
Good luck to you and thanks for the reply.

Mark

"aim small, miss small"

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Thanks Mark! Sounds like you got it going on! Good luck to you also.

Btw, I killed my first two 8-pointers in Putnam County back in the early eighties and seen one of the biggest bucks that I've ever seen there... ;)

Rebel 3

I have hunted Putnam going on 4 years now and I love it. I do not see the numbers of deer as I did 4 years ago, but I continue to see large bucks and that is what I want anyways. I have shot or had one or more shots at an 8 pt or bigger each year. I have seen deer that would score over 140 in Putnam. Last year I got a tall 12 pt in Putnam. Rut is usually around end of October to about Nov 15, but we have seen them chasing does at Thanksgiving last year. There have been two booners killed in Putnam and several 160 class deer. One scored 215 nontyp I beleive. Eventhough this was several years ago there are some really nice ones there. Two booners were killed last year in neighboring Hankock.

Last edited:

duke13

I am in my 7th year in my Putnam lease. It is a great county. I see good numbers of deer every year and have killed my biggest buck to date there. there is always a lot of sign but the limiting factor on my lease is that it is mostly thick pines. Of course this year :clap: :clap: :clap: that has changed since they select cut about 1/3 of the lease. I'm really expecting some good bucks to go down this year. I hope one of them is in my sights! :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: