best gas milage small truck xtra-cab

elwood22165

I am thinking of selling a full size regular cab chevy 4X4 2000 model. was trying to see which small pick up gets the best milage. can't stand these gas prices
thanks

CAMO84

it really isn't much better with the small trucks. I have a 1998 s10 and I get about 22 miles to the gal. If you dont go off road much stick with a 2w drive Toyota, or Ford would not recomend the nissan or chevy and dodge dont have anything close

CAL

CAMO is correct! The difference in the mileage is not all that good.My full size Ford with a 4.6 v8 gets 16.5 to 17.0 just during normal driving.I don't think the small trucks will do much better considering the loss of room and ride.To me 3 more miles to the gallon isn't worth it!

dixie

yup, I have a full size GMC with the 5.3 and a S-10 blazer with the 4.3 in it, there's not enough difference in the gas milage to spit at.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the others. I have the 4.3 S-10 ZR2 4x4. Gas mileage was okay stock. I put larger tires which dropped it more. The only thing that is going to make it better for you is 2 wheel drive.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Elwood, I was thinking along the same lines as you a few months back when I traded my full size Silverado Z71 4.8 V8 for a crew cab Colorado Z71 3.5 inline 5. I was averaging 15.9 in my Silverado. I am now averaging 17.8 in my Colorado (after seven full tanks). Not worth it in my opinion. I will be moving back up to the full size on my next trade-in. :eek:

jeclif

just had my 1998 s10 4.3 hp that got 23 mpg totaled and got a 2005 serria 4.8 that gets 19-- mpg but I havent added the k@n air filter yet or the sy. oil to the rear and tranny that helped on the s10 mabe it will help with this one its worth a try for me I don't know about you

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!
i moved from a ranger(16mpg) to a f250(20mpg) and i will never look back.

cmahunter

Dodge

Stay away from Dodge, my 1500 gets 11.5 mpg city... From what I understand none of the Dodge vehicles get good mileage.

Bigslick

I have a1988 dodge ram 50
(small truck) and it gets about 40 miles to a gallon!!!
great truck! :yeah: :cool:

Last edited:

short stop

leadoff said:
Elwood, I was thinking along the same lines as you a few months back when I traded my full size Silverado Z71 4.8 V8 for a crew cab Colorado Z71 3.5 inline 5. I was averaging 15.9 in my Silverado. I am now averaging 17.8 in my Colorado (after seven full tanks). Not worth it in my opinion. I will be moving back up to the full size on my next trade-in. :eek:
wow -----LEADOFF I GET 21 PLUS IN MINE --ITS NOT A 4X4 BUT A LOOKALIKE -----ITS 2 WHEELDRIVE SAME MOTOR --- STRANGE -??? SHORT STOP

red dirt

I have a 99 Chevy EXT cab with the 4.8 . Gas milage has always ran close to 22 mpg. highway or city. i have been very pleased for the 150k miles.

Mrbowdeadly

I don't know about 4x4's, but I did some web searches for best gas mileage trucks and got the ford ranger 4cyl several times. Seems like the numbers were 26/29 mpg

MBD

GeauxLSU

Had a '95 Nissan King Cab and it got about 21 mpg didn't matter city or highway and didn't matter how I drove it.
Great truck but NOT a long distance machine.
Avalanche gets 18mpg on the highway (at a rather 'brisk' rate of speed) and about 14 in the city. 8 foot bed when needed, enclosed dry bed and REAL seating for 5 adults.
Now way I'd go back.
If you really need something for MPG get a small commuter and keep the truck for when you need a truck (if that's an option)

elwood22165

Mpg

I am guessing i get about 16 in mine. but it is a regular cab and i was thinking of buying somthing to seat 4 comfortable. I refuse to buy new and with gas price the way they are i see no need to spend the extra to buy a 4X4 i have not put the one i have in 4 wheel drive in over a year.except to move it through the ranges just to maintain it. I was curious to see which truck in the 2000 - 2002 range would get the best milage before i start hunting one.
thanks

B Young

I have an 01 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 V6. I have found that if you keep it under 2000 RPM's you're ok. It does great just cruising. Above that it seems to cut the mileage in half. :( :hair: I deffinately don't recomend dodge unless it's a diesel.

raghorn

B Young said:
I have an 01 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 V6. I have found that if you keep it under 2000 RPM's you're ok. It does great just cruising. Above that it seems to cut the mileage in half. :( :hair: I deffinately don't recomend dodge unless it's a diesel.
I have an 02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 I just bought with the 3.9 V6 and am really diappointed with it period. No power and 16mpg highway:banginghe Anybody else have this power problem? Won't hardly pull itself up a small hill on the interstate without dropping out of overdrive. Sorry to hijack your thread.

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
cmahunter said:
Stay away from Dodge, my 1500 gets 11.5 mpg city... From what I understand none of the Dodge vehicles get good mileage.

I beg to Differ boys !!!!!.....My 05 RAM 2500 Cummins puts out 20 mph without camper......and 15 mph with 28" camper !!!!!...... :banana: :banana:

Why would I want a small ar mid-size truck !!! :huh: :huh:

PS....325 HP!!!!.....610lb. Tourqe !!!!!... :pop: :pop: