Opening weekend at my Alabama Property

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
That's awesome brother!! Keep posting in here!

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Congrats Dutch. Glad "cull buck acres" is producing protein in accordance with your dreams for the place. Keep up the good work.

Congrats Dutch, I have many fond memories of tagging along with my best buddies to their grandparents land in Pike County, AL growing up. Hopefully you get another opportunity to close the deal on the big boy.

sprewett

I know this is a Georgia forum, but maybe some of ya'll will enjoy this.

I had one of the best opening weekends I have every experience at my property I bought in February, 33 acres fully wooded with creeks located in Pike county Alabama. I was doubly excited not only for the new property, but also having missed the complete season last year due to shoulder surgery. To say I was excited was an understatement.

Got on stand about 5:45, camera showed 2 pig pigs in plot, but they moved off before shooting light. Nothing moving after shooting light breaks, around 6:50 I am looking down the road to my right and see a deer walking toward me at about 70 yds. Pick up rifle and swivel into position, doe sees me and is like what is that? Get deer in scope for neck shot and send it....and I miss.:banginghefacepalm:

Deer stands there going what was that noise??? I try to rack a round quietly (shooting a Rem. 760), but deer says "I'm out of here". So there I sit thinking 1st deer in 2 years, 1st deer on my new property and I miss like a noob. So while I'm sitting there kicking my self for not waiting for a more sure shot, I see movement down the road again...sure enough this heifer is peeking at me from behind a small pine...she steps out and catches a 150gr 30-06. She drops and flips back into the woods. I get down, walk that way a 2nd deer runs off tail up blowing like crazy. Get to spot and no blood...What the? I am sure I hit her the 2nd time...can't be the one that just run off...is my scope off...I'm starting to wonder.

Well, I was pretty sure she was hit as to how she acted, so I was into the woods in the direction she went, about 10 feet in was a huge splash of blood...heck yeah! Look around and see her down about 20 yds away.
View attachment 1271070

So go to cabin and take care of her, so that afternoon I am buck hunting as one can kill one doe and one buck(up to 3 limit) a day. See a bunch of does but no bucks

Sunday Am...get in stand again at 545am and about 630am a deer crosses the road to my right but doesn't pause long enough to identify it other than a deer. 30 minutes later I looked down the road to my front and see a doe step out and stop, looking back toward the stand. I put the binos on her and determine she is a shooter (I try not to shot yearlings) pick up my rifle and neck shoot her. Missed a chip shot the day before, nailed a neck shot at 110 yds this morning. So for a second day in a row I have a deer down by 715am.
View attachment 1271075

So that afternoon I seen 8 deer, including the buck #1 on the hit list, but it was to dark for me to make a clean shot, so I let him walk. Hunted Monday seeing deer every sit but not the buck I was waiting for. Hunted this Morning in the rain, but nothing was moving, but it was washing the frogs out from under the stand, so I don't blame them.

all in all it was an exceptional opening weekend, and I eagerly look forward to being there in 2 weeks for a whole week. And the whole month of January for the rut.
View attachment 1271079

View attachment 1271080
Buck I let walk. Killed me to do so but I didn't have a clean killing shot at near dark.
View attachment 1271082
Good stuff right there! Congrats @Dutch

georgia_home

Nice! Love the PA rifles … 760/7600 Remmy pumps

fatback

Good times for sure. Congrats on your property and being able to bring home a couple of deer of the new place.

bany

That’s great Dutch! looks like your property has everything you could ask for, congratulations!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Brother your as much a part of this campfire as anyone! Congrats on the shoulder recovery and I hope things continue to improve! Mine definitely feels like it! Great does you got X2!! and I too hope you get the big boy, but regardless I know your enjoying the chase! Keep us updated and good luck! :rockon: