"Crab Claw" done messed up

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
So this buck I dubbed "crab claw" was one of 2 bucks at CBF I was hunting this season. I have been getting pics of him all season, mostly night but occasionally daytime.
So anyhoo, last night him and "tall boy" were harassing does all night on camera, so I figured this morning was going to be a good one.
So I get into the stand at 545am and the wind was starting to kick up, lucky for me it was blowing into my face and away from the area I expected to see deer. Sun comes up and around 7am a doe comes out and was acting all nervous, looking back the way she come. About that time an Apache flys over slowly at tree top level (my property being near Ft. Rucker, the helo pilots train low level flying along the creek/swamp on the backside of my place)
20240119_120044.jpg

So naturally spooks the doe, well 5 minutes later she comes back down by the big oak at the end of the road...still keeps looking over behind her, a few minutes later I see antlers through the grass, pick up my rifle and see its crab claw, he gets clear of the grass/brush with his neck extended smelling the doe. Tuck the crosshairs tight behind his shoulder (no fancy shots this morning, going for the double lung guarantee) pull the trigger, he mule kicks and takes to the brush.
I knew that I had hit'em good, so I get down and go look...found bright pink frothy blood where he was standing. Blood trailed him standing up, one of the best blood trails I have ever had (Norma Whitetail 30-06 150gr is some good stuff). So he ran about 40 yds curling back to the road to pile up 10 yds from said road.
It was a great morning and a quick hunt in South Alabama at Cull Buck Farm.
20240119_121447.jpg
20240119_121529.jpg
20240119_121408.jpg
20240119_121338.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on a fine buck from your own dirt, Dutch!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on a great buck and hunt ! One heck of a first season on your new place

turkeykirk

It cool to be sitting in the stand and have an Apache slowly pass by.
Good thing he didn’t beat you to the shot. :rofl:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations!
I too have thoroughly enjoyed you sharing your land purchase & 1st season with us.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Congrats, brother! Cool story.