Grandson's First Solo Buck!

Philnlucky

Walker turned 13 in August and completed his Hunter Safety course over the summer. So for the first time, he started hunting solo this year. We had several pictures of this 6+ yr old 8 point, and he was on the grand kids target list, so I told Walker to take him out of the herd if he got a chance. This afternoon he got in one of our stands located along an oak ridge where he shot his 10 pt. last year when I was with him. I was on a tractor loader on the other end of the farm cleaning up a field when he called me and told me he shot the target buck. I asked him to wait for me, as he said the deer had kicked and run out of the food plot at the 100 yd shot. I don't know which one was more nervous, me, my wife, my son (his dad), or Walker. We all wanted his first solo hunt to be a success. We all arrived at the stand and walked out into the field to the shot location. We were looking for sign where the buck had been standing at the shot, when I happened to look across into the hardwoods and saw him piled up around 40 yds. from the field. Walker was really excited, and covered the distance in no time. We are all proud of him, and granddaddy was really thankful that this benchmark moment in his young hunting life turned out so well!

Attachments

• 20231125_171252.jpg
    20231125_171252.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCN6809.jpg
    DSCN6809.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Blackston

Oh that’s awesome!!!! Congratulations I know yiur proud!!!

bullgator

Congrats to the young man!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Goodness look at the neck on that stud! Congrats Walker and all the rest of the family sharing such a great milestone! :cheers: