2nd bow doe ever.

greendawg

I have a big group of deer that are all does behind my house, so I have to bow hunt if I want to kill one this time of year. I have a storage building I use as a blind with the window taken out. Yesterday morning, after I dropped my son off at school, I just climbed in there and waited. About 8:15, I peaked out of the building to my right and didn't see anything. Then I looked to my left and there were two deer, but one busted me and took off. About 8:30 I saw my target deer, a 2nd year doe with no fawns. She came by exactly where I thought she would. I let an arrow fly and she just hopped off like nothing happened and the rest of the deer took off. I gave it a few minutes and went to find my arrow. I looked down about and about 10 yards from where I shot, there the doe was. I was really confused and for a second thought that maybe a neighbor or someone else shot a doe with a gun the night before and it ran there and died. I looked just past where the doe was standing and there the arrow was coated in blood. I mean it was dripping in blood, but not bright red blood, just regular blood. I looked at the blood trail and there wasn't much there, up until the place where she fell and died, and there was a ton of blood there. It was bright red, and I could see my entrance would high and back just under the tenderloin. I'm like okay, she must have jumped the string and the arrow angled in and hit her heart, since she fell with 30 seconds and went less than 10 yards. When I started skinning her, there was blood all down her right side all the way down past her shoulder. I thought I was right, but once I washed her off there was no wound there. Turns out the exit wound was right at her back right leg, I got very lucky, but I still don't understand how she died so quickly. I guess I hit an artery and she bled out internally super fast and by the time she figured out she was hit, she was dead.

Last edited:

greendawg

Congratulations.

Thank you. The first deer I shot 2 years ago was the exact opposite of this one. I hit an artery and broke it's back and you could see it's blood trail from 20 yards away and it still wouldn't die for 30 minutes, until I snuck up behind it and got another arrow in it. With this one, I have never seen a deer on a hunting show go down that fast with a bow even with heart shots.

greendawg

@greendawg What did she do after the shot? Hop off a little ways and stop to try and figure out what had just happened?
She hopped off the side of the hill to where I couldn't see her, and then I thought she took off down the hill. About 30 second later I thought it was another deer taking off, but it must have been her crashing. It was a fixed blade 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. I can see what guys who bow-hunt all the time love it so much, getting close to hear them breathe but I can't go that route right now because of my neck and shoulder. This bow was set at 50 lbs and I hurt every time I pull it back.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Way to go! I bet she had no idea she was even hit. Great bow kill, but you gotta get your camera out next time! Congrats!