Help save the duck factory!

7mm mag 06

helping out DU with the "duckfever" add. You can donate anywhere from 5$ to any amount of money. Money goes to save thousands of acres in the midwest called the praire pothole region. The Duck Factory.

<!--BEGIN DUCKS UNLIMITED CODE-->

<!--END DUCKS UNLIMITED CODE-->Help DU Rescue an Additional 2,500 Acres!
North America's most important waterfowl breeding habitat is being plowed under on a massive scale. Surging global demands for food, federal mandates for corn-based ethanol production and the new Farm Bill are encouraging cultivation of every available acre.

But we are making a difference thanks to supporters like you. So far, we've rescued over 10,000 acres, but we need to rescue an additional 2,500 now. For a one-time payment of only $360 per acre, DU can purchase easements in the Prairie Pothole Region and permanently protect this vital habitat for future generations.
By supporting DU's Rescue the Duck Factory campaign, you can make a real difference for the ducks and the future of our sport," says DU Executive Vice President Don Young. "It's imperative that we act now because powerful forces are converging against the ducks and their habitats. DU stands ready to meet this challenge, but we need your help. With your support, we can rescue the Duck Factory and fulfill DU's vision of filling the skies with waterfowl today, tomorrow, and forever."

Cadcom

Man check out DU - they pour something like 85% of the cash they raise back into the projects they say they support. One of the better dollar to dirt ratios out there! (WAY better than PETA or that Brady bunch) Plus its tax deeeducktable. Check out ducks.org or shoot me a PM and I'll do all I can to answer your questions. In my opinion, next to the NRA these guys should be on your list to give $$$ to if you can spare it. It's not just the Ducks that benefit....

7mag thanks for bringing this up!

big A 235

Is it better than DWF? I know a lot of guys have left DU for DWF and some have left because not much is done on the east coast. I went to 3 DU Ban. and they sucked this yr. and last yr. I have one more to go too because a friend gives me the ticket. Wont be going to any DU stuff next yr. more than likely. The money I've spent this year could have gone to a better cause than DU. Like my private holes.

7mm mag 06

85% of the money goes into the projects, i was reading over the duck factory article yesterday and i just wanted to give back to DU for helping out hunters and keeping vital land availible for the ducks. Yall can donate as little as five dollars and it goes to save duck habitat, i figured the gon guys would jump all over this. If anyone would like to get involved with the "duckfever" add go to Ducks.org and click duck fever to have your own add you can put on facebook, myspace, gon, ect...

7mm mag 06

how do you know that?

sorry i am trying to help out and try to save some land from being developed. Wow some of the guys on this forum are really dissapointing. all you can do when you see that people are trying to help is critisize? get a life....

hogdawg

sorry i am trying to help out and try to save some land from being developed. Wow some of the guys on this forum are really dissapointing. all you can do when you see that people are trying to help is critisize? get a life....

I have a life that consists of 40 hours of work a week, which I receive money for, which I don't like to throw away. All I'm saying is, show me some proof of where my money's going and I'll be glad to contribute to better our duck habitat.

I think I still have a couple of old DU stickers layin' around somewhere if you really want one:bounce:

pignjig10lb

If you're so worried put up some Wood Duck boxes in you swamps and creeks and then you know where you money is going. You can start at home but do give back tot he ducks to make sure you and your kids have more to hunt in years to come

chase870

Possum Sox
I hunt in Canada and have seen the DU projects and actually hunted on some of them. The land they protect is breeding grounds potholes etc. and I have seen the potholes that lack protection. Farmers will drain them and plow the cattails under and grow crops on the dirt. The same thing was happening in North Dakota as the potholes come out of the CRP program the dirt is put back in production. Its really simple lack of nests = lack of ducks and geese.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 272

7mm mag 06

If you're so worried put up some Wood Duck boxes in you swamps and creeks and then you know where you money is going. You can start at home but do give back tot he ducks to make sure you and your kids have more to hunt in years to come

dont worrY:) i have over 100 acres of swamp that i put up boxes and do all i can to enhance......

What makes you think they play fast with the numbers?

and it's up to 88%...not too bad, sure wish these guys ran the government...

I'm not anti-DU. I was a committee chairman couple of three times or so, but they still play fast and loose with that "88%" number.

I'll lay it out, and if you want to see someone hem and haw, try to bring this up with a DU official sometime.

First of all, each state publishes a "Blue Book" that lists every function in the state from the previous year, the gross income of that function, the cost of that function, and the "net net" to DU from that function. Unless you have looked and analyzed that "Blue Book", you really don't have any idea of the cost of fundraising for the "banquet system" that DU is so proud of pioneering.

The "net-net" from banquets (and a few other functions) ranges from a negative figure (the banquet actually lost money) to 60-70% profit. If a chapter reaches 60%, it gets special recognition from DU for being so profitable. That means the cost for a good chapter is 40%. There isn't one chapter in 100 that meets the DU 88%, and they only do that when there is someone who donates a lot of money to the chapter.

DU only books the income from the chapter. DU doesn't show the chapter expense of raising that money, which in many cases is 80-90%. In other words, if a chapter spends $2000 buying booze to loosen every one up enough to buy raffle tickets, and that chapter only sends in $200 to DU, DU only shows the $200.

The average "net net" for all chapters in Georgia (and I'm assuming based on what I've been told, across the country) is 35-40%

It's funny someone mentions IRS because the fundraising at the chapter level is virtually unregulated and unsupervised by DU or the IRS. There are many good chapters, but there are some that aren't, and these bad chapters would not survive an IRS review.

Again, I don't have problem (too much) with the mission of DU, nor the way they raise and spend their money. I just think trumpeting the 88% figure is a little specious and sanctimonious given the facts.

Now we could also discuss the push in the last few years to only have DU marketed items available at the banquets.

southGAlefty

Unbelievable...another otherwise helpful thread gone to crap due to a few guys that can't trust a well-known conservation organization enough to donate $5 to a worthy cause, and before you jump on my case, I'm a member of DU and NWTF. I appreciate what you're doing 7mm mag 06

big A 235

I'll tell ya'll what. Why don't we start something in ga. and the money that is spent on Du we will set it aside for our state (Ga.) only and the heck with the others. We use to have a ton of ducks here but not anymore. If your going spend money do it for Ga. It seems to me that everyone else is worried about some where else not us. This is not just about Du but everything. Why are we sending billions of dollars over seas for other countrys when that money could be spent here to help our own country. It is time to worry about ourselves and not what goes on in the pot holes

Benhillcountyhunter

Guys, I am a DU member in Jesup Georgia. Great organization. If you want to do some research on where the money goes, go to DUs website. It gives a breakdown on a state-by-state basis and list how much funds have been raised and what projects have been conducted in your state and also what projects are currently underway.

Latest posts