Digging a hole on full moons or different times of the year?

Handgunner

My buddy said something the other day while we were replacing the power pole that a pecan limb took out.

We didn't have enough dirt to fill the hole back up, even after putting the pole back in. He said something to the effect of "well, we dug it at the wrong time of the year".

What's the tale of that saying? And does it hold true? Why?

Havana Dude

I

Have seen it happen on numerous occasions. I can't explain it but know it does happen.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've saw it happen but don't know why either.

Woody's Janitor

I've seen it and believe it!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
My grandfather always said this. Most of the time it was about digging a grave and not having enough to fill the hole. I think it was something about the full moon.

Headshot

Delton, my dad was a utility lineman and he swore the moon's phases affected the amount of dirt used to fill holes, etc. On the full moon they had too much dirt; the other side of the phase they didn't have enough dirt.

LJay

Retired Mod
Yep, I've seen it and heard the grave story all my life.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
It has to be something to do with the gravitational pull of the moon...... :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

gordon 2

Uneducated guess: The full moon raises the H2O out of the soil faster that say in the black moon. In much the same way as the oceans rise highter at full moon, add the effect of evaporation and your soil gets slim and thin and therefore fills a smaller space than usual on a full moon.

Therefore grave diggers should somehow rehydrate the soil or dig and bury on wet days...and linesman cant really trickle down the pole hole cause of the live lines...So...we would shoot a couple of rock down the hole..when we were kids. This of course is all **.... ;)

7Mag Hunter

Digging holes

Never heard this one...Dirt out...pole in...seems you would
have dirt left over....
Full moon is close, so lets all dig holes and have survey
results....NOT....

7mag hunter

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
It sounds silly but it is true.

Handgunner

Gordon, I could see how that could happen I suppose. I could also see how one would have too much dirt. Beings that it's packed tightly and once taken out, breaks up, making it go back into the hole more loosely.

I suppose one could pack and pack.. But with the displacement of dirt by the pole, even packing shouldn't work. :huh:

GeauxLSU

Don't know why but it drives me crazy when it happens. :banginghe

Here's one for you, why does the moon look BIGGER when it's closer to the horizon?

Handgunner

GeauxLSU said:
Don't know why but it drives me crazy when it happens. :banginghe

Here's one for you, why does the moon look BIGGER when it's closer to the horizon?
The heat waves from the earth act as sort of a magnifying glass... ::ke: :bounce: The higher up it gets, the more they have an effect on it. :huh:

No clue, but a good question Phil...

gadeerwoman

Remember my Dad telling me that when I was knee high and then proving it to me. Having put in a many a fence post since then, I can vouch for it. Can't explain it, but it's true.

sentrysam

I also agree,after spending most of my life building and repairing power lines,I've planted hundreds of poles and at certain times of the month you can not fill the hole up with all the dirt you took out.Strange but true

Nugefan

We were discussing this yesterday ....

i think it's during waxing or waning of the moon , sometimes you don't have enough dirt to refill the hole ....

Mr.Vernon , where are you ....we need your help