Ghost story

buckpasser

So, not sure if this is the proper sub for this, but here goes:

When I took my job five years ago on the plantation, I was warned by the current employees that the lodge was haunted. I don’t buy in much or maybe even care enough to get interested in that sort of thing, but I did ask what the first hand accounts were.

The previous owner was holding a dinner with the weekend’s hunting party and all the lights apparently started blinking/dying/etc. It made some guests get uneasy, but who cares really?

Next was the fact that small items seem to be moved or dropped when no one has been in the house. Throw blankets, cabinet doors and dishes seem to be the items of choice. I have seen some of that, but who can prove we didn’t get an unseen human visitor?

Next are the unexplained noises that occur. Both owners have had zero sleep nights from the framming, hamming and rattling. It is strange to hear. I use the restroom on occasional at odd times and there is very rarely a time I don’t hear pots and pans slam in the kitchen while I’m there alone. It just helps with the process! Lol

The final two events are more concerning. I pulled in late one night to show my wife some landscaping I had installed to see if she liked it. It was black dark inside and out with no lights on. When we pulled up she asked “who lives here?” “Nobody” I said. It’s just a hunting lodge. I walked around with my flashlight showing her, then when we got back around front she said “someone’s here!”, to which I replied, “no human is here”. Sure enough, the lamp in the foyer was on! It had definitely been off upon arrival. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went in first thing in the morning to check the lamp. Possibly the power was off at the time we arrived, then came back on??? Nope, the lamp, on a manual twist switch was in the “off” position! No one had driven in or out since my tracks.

Lastly, the other morning I was taking my kids on a hunt. We pulled into the lodge to borrow a tripod that’s in the closet. My son waited in the dark doorway as I used my phone light to go in and out. Upon returning to the door, my 11 year old son was muttering “dad, someone’s here!” I was looking down the driveway for whoever he must see coming while I walked out. I soon realized my son was fairly upset and he revealed that he had seen a dark figure step out of the guest bedroom, into the doorway, and I had walked right by him without noticing! I said, “what did they look like?” He said it was around my size (6’4”), but when I went by I had a face and it didn’t. To get to sleep that night, he convinced himself that there must be a black homeless man that was forced to use our lodge in the woods to avoid the elements and that’s why my face was more visible than the squatter. I just went with it.

Any thoughts?

buckpasser

Yeah. There be haints at the lodge...Just adds to the fun, and the charm.

I’m with you on the charm, but I think it has resulted in the owners using the thing far less than they probably planned to. It’s a beautiful six bedroom house, but I literally can’t remember the last time an owner stayed there without bringing enough guests to basically fill it up.

My kids asked me if I was scared. I told them I’m immune to ghosts and they are too. We belong to Jesus!

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
... I think it has resulted in the owners using the thing far less than they probably planned to. It’s a beautiful six bedroom house, but I literally can’t remember the last time an owner stayed there without bringing enough guests to basically fill it up...

That's a crying shame.

If I was Well Dun enough to own a plantation with a six bedroom lodge, and hire you full time to caretake it, ain't no way no haints would run me off... :bounce:

People never cease to amaze me.

jaydawg

When I took my job five years ago on the plantation, I was warned by the current employees that the lodge was haunted. I don’t buy in much or maybe even care enough to get interested in that sort of thing, but I did ask what the first hand accounts were.

The previous owner was holding a dinner with the weekend’s hunting party and all the lights apparently started blinking/dying/etc. It made some guests get uneasy, but who cares really?

Next was the fact that small items seem to be moved or dropped when no one has been in the house. Throw blankets, cabinet doors and dishes seem to be the items of choice. I have seen some of that, but who can prove we didn’t get an unseen human visitor?

Next are the unexplained noises that occur. Both owners have had zero sleep nights from the framming, hamming and rattling. It is strange to hear. I use the restroom on occasional at odd times and there is very rarely a time I don’t hear pots and pans slam in the kitchen while I’m there alone. It just helps with the process! Lol

The final two events are more concerning. I pulled in late one night to show my wife some landscaping I had installed to see if she liked it. It was black dark inside and out with no lights on. When we pulled up she asked “who lives here?” “Nobody” I said. It’s just a hunting lodge. I walked around with my flashlight showing her, then when we got back around front she said “someone’s here!”, to which I replied, “no human is here”. Sure enough, the lamp in the foyer was on! It had definitely been off upon arrival. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went in first thing in the morning to check the lamp. Possibly the power was off at the time we arrived, then came back on??? Nope, the lamp, on a manual twist switch was in the “off” position! No one had driven in or out since my tracks.

Lastly, the other morning I was taking my kids on a hunt. We pulled into the lodge to borrow a tripod that’s in the closet. My son waited in the dark doorway as I used my phone light to go in and out. Upon returning to the door, my 11 year old son was muttering “dad, someone’s here!” I was looking down the driveway for whoever he must see coming while I walked out. I soon realized my son was fairly upset and he revealed that he had seen a dark figure step out of the guest bedroom, into the doorway, and I had walked right by him without noticing! I said, “what did they look like?” He said it was around my size (6’4”), but when I went by I had a face and it didn’t. To get to sleep that night, he convinced himself that there must be a black homeless man that was forced to use our lodge in the woods to avoid the elements and that’s why my face was more visible than the squatter. I just went with it.

Any thoughts?
I was just funnin….I’ll stop… can’t have nuthin nice!:p

Redbow

Interesting story, Loretta Lynn's house and most people of any age knows who she is was haunted by Civil War soldiers. There was a documentary on TV one time about Loretta's house and the spirits who lived in it with her and her husband.

My Mothers house our old home place is haunted my Sister has twin girls my Niece's they told me several years back that my old room that I grew up into a man in had something in it that they were scared of. As small children they saw something in my old room that they did not understand and never played in my old bedroom again. My Mom their Grandmother thought the girls were very foolish when they mentioned to her that something was living in my old bedroom that should not be there.

I found out one night a few years ago what the girls were scared of in my old room when I was staying with my Mom for a few days not long before she died. One day I will post a story about my encounter in my old bedroom three times in the middle of the night.

Cool Hand Luke

Interesting story, Loretta Lynn's house and most people of any age knows who she is was haunted by Civil War soldiers. There was a documentary on TV one time about Loretta's house and the spirits who lived in it with her and her husband.

My Mothers house our old home place is haunted my Sister has twin girls my Niece's they told me several years back that my old room that I grew up into a man in had something in it that they were scared of. As small children they saw something in my old room that they did not understand and never played in my old bedroom again. My Mom their Grandmother thought the girls were very foolish when they mentioned to her that something was living in my old bedroom that should not be there.

I found out one night a few years ago what the girls were scared of in my old room when I was staying with my Mom for a few days not long before she died. One day I will post a story about my encounter in my old bedroom three times in the middle of the night.
Rise and shine!!!! Don't leave us hanging ;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been on earth well over half a century now, and never seen a haint. :)

earlthegoat2

Even though I like ghost stories and I want to believe them, I have unfortunately educated myself in the history and lore of most of the ghost stories in SE GA. What I have found is origin stories often involve substance use, a superstitious upbringing, or attention seeking behavior.

Even the only first hand account of a ghost or spirit I had ever heard began with “I was sitting on my porch drinking whiskey.”

Like so many other paranormal situations, folks will say that if you don’t believe in it to begin with then you will never see it. Pretty convenient if you ask me. A lot like religions. :rolleyes:

I live in a 120 year old house. When I walk around in it, the floors creak. The house groans when the wind blows a bit. Sometimes, I just hear a loud snapping noise in the middle of the night….or middle of the day.

Once for a period of several weeks we kept blowing a breaker on a certain circuit in the house. It was an AFCI so I figured it was getting tired. I replaced it and it continued to randomly pop off for a few weeks whenever we hit a light switch on that circuit. Then one day, it stopped without me doing anything and has been fine ever since. That was 3 years ago. All that is to say that old buildings have funny problems that can cause funny noises. Electrical problems are wide and varied and sometimes don’t make sense at first.

I have seen strange seemingly supernatural things even but at least in my own head, I can justify them as being an anomaly.

If I had a superstitious upbringing I would interpret these things much differently.

“Haunted” places like the Allegheny Lunatic Asylum have made big business on keeping the stories alive and as such would discourage any critical analyses of the haunting a that occur there. TV programs do not count unfortunately for the same reasons. That wouldn’t stop me from going there still. As I said, I like the stories.

Resica

Any thoughts?
What's the history of the place?

buckpasser

What's the history of the place?

Well, there was a civil war era mansion on the property (very close to the lodge) and the lodge was the barn. The mansion house burned thirty plus years ago and is now gone. The lodge as it stands today was built around the old pole structure of what was the barn. It has a “new” area that is an addition to the footprint. That’s about all I know.

Resica

Well, there was a civil war era mansion on the property (very close to the lodge) and the lodge was the barn. The mansion house burned thirty plus years ago and is now gone. The lodge as it stands today was built around the old pole structure of what was the barn. It has a “new” area that is an addition to the footprint. That’s about all I know.
Thank you. Did it see combat, not that that really matters?

SarahFair

I've had experiences my whole life of varying degrees, but my current house has something like your son saw.

We were seeing it so frequently, to see if there was any correlation, I began keeping a log of time, weather, room location, who experienced it, what happened, etc.
It's become less and less frequent as the years have gone on, but when we first moved here it was very frequent.

My son and I saw it at the same time once, plain as day.
We were sitting at the kitchen island doing his homework when it walked from the back hall into the backroom, which is open to the kitchen.
The movement caused us both to stop, look up, and turn around just in time to see it walk in and dissapate.
We both looked at each other and asked if we just saw what we saw.

Best I can describe it, it looked like vacuum dust. It wasn't solid, but it wasn't exactly see through either, almost static-y. It wasn't black in the light, but a darker brownish shadowy color.
It seemed masculine and to be wearing a hat and coat with a high collar, but it was just a silhouette, no features.

Before that happened I used to see it peeking around the corner from the same back room, through the back hall, and into the livingroom a lot.
I also used to see it on the front porch every now and again when I got home really late from work. It was usually just standing on one end or the other, leaned against a column.
It was dark out, but there was enough light to see the darker silhouette moving around before just being gone.

My oldest son has probably seen it the most. He said sometimes it would just stand in a doorway and watch him before disappearing, or just walk through whatever room he was in.

It's never been threatening, no one is scared of it, and like I said, it's become less and less.
It's just here.

But we do have the knocker (how we refer to him) and I do not think it is something pleasant.
The first time it happened we hadnt long lived here. My youngest was home alone and it started banging on the front door. My son went in another room and tried ignoring it thinking it was maybe a neighbor, but it kept happening, then moved to the window, then back to the door.
My son called me in a absolute panic, so I called the neighbor to look out and she told me she didn't see anything, so I told her I was leaving work and asked her to go get him. Nothing there or out of the ordinary :huh:

About a week or so later both my son's were home alone at night with the dog inside when the banging started on the backdoor. It scared both my sons, even our GSD reacted to it. We have a 6' privacy fence and when no lights are on its DARK back there, so it's not like people were simply strolling around, wondering up a flight of stairs without a flashlight.

I've heard it banging on the front door so hard it rattled the glass, in the middle of the day. My GSD was inside at the time and reacted to it, so I know Im not crazy.
No one was there.

It has also knocked REALLY loud on the walls at night.
Once about 4:45am it banged/knocked so loud the SO and I both jumped out of bed...
When I tell you my heart was racing, I was almost dizzy with adrenaline. :hair:
We checked the whole house, front door, back door, boys room, trying to make sense of it, but there was nothing..
It sounded like knuckles on dry wall, but LOUD, and it came from the top of the wall, which is about 12' up.

Like I said, I dont like the knocker, but thankfully we haven't experienced him in a long time.

pjciii

As long as they are mischievous and not intent on harm. Live and let live. But I would have had a heart attack if my heart was racing as fast as @SarahFair.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Probably the closest I've come to seeing or hearing a haint was at the Old Post Chapel on Ft Myer right by Arlington National Cemetery.

Would be in there at night planting explosives or narcotics to train/certify dog teams and you would hear footsteps, doors opening, locked doors that you just unlocked.

It was always interesting with the new OJT MPs :rofl: