Strange Encounter

Dub

Like to share my experience from last night.
Well I hunt bow only public land kinda in the middle of nowhere. I went yesterday afternoon to a new spot on the far end of the property where I saw a few deer last Sunday afternoon. Ok this is where it gets weird. First time sitting there after I get down I am getting my stuff together for the walk out and its dark now and I see a light shining through the trees from a walking trail above me. No big deal hey its public. He has no idea I am there and continues down the path which leads to the property line and goes out of site in the private. I walked back to my truck and went home.

Next time I hunted this area I got down and started out without my light at first to see if my buddy with the light showed up and sure enough there he was on the same trail again. This time I turned on my head lamp and walked out never thinking about the other guy. Half way back to the truck which is about 1.5 mile walk all together I look to my left and can see a light about 75 yards in. When I shined mine on him he turned his toward me. Now I am on a dirt road steady walking and he has fallowed me a half mile or more through thick woods and kept up with me. Once again I shook it off and finished off my walk got to my truck and went home.

Now last night I will never forget. I hunted seen one little deer and got down and started walking out in the dark with no headlamp. Got to about the same spot as other two times and sure enough I see that light. It was an old looking light. Had a orange tent to it like the old school flashlights had. He is moving so slow and my mind is thinking crazy things like what if he has thermal imaging and he is actually out here night hunting. About that time I step on a stick and CRACK. His light goes black. O crap he knows I'm hear now. I reach for my pistol and I don't have one in the chamber so I go to rack it and my clip falls out. Yes it did. Hands and knees feeling around and ok got it. With one in the chamber I decide to just turn my light on and get out of here. Turned mine on started walking and looked to my left and there he was light on walking step for step with me. my path and his meet ahead about 100 yards and I decide I will just talk to this guy. I get to were they meet and he is no where around.

Ok I am out of here. I start fast walking on the road leading to my truck. I just had to look to my left and my heart dropped there was his light in the thick wood keeping up with me. I would walk a bit turn my head and there he is. After a few more looks I didn't see the light any more. Started feeling a little relief till I looked closer and could see the glass from his light that was off shinning back at me from my headlamp. We went step for step for over half a mile. I even started yelling whats your problem man. I honestly thought this is it. I didn't want to shoot the guy but yes it crossed my mind. Got to my truck and flew out of there.

Any idea what or why someone would do this. I am going back today and put up a few cell cameras. You can bet I will be out of there way before dark.

Two questions instantly came to mind after reading your post....

1) why did you draw your handgun ?

2) why are you carrying a pistol without a round chambered ?

Now....I'm going back to read the rest of the replies.

Oldstick

I might have been tempted to "accidently" let go a round into the dirt. To see how the light reacted to that.
OK, sorry about that guys. I assumed the OP was a troll post. Trying to get rise a out of folks like so many times before.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
In situations like this, it helps to have been taken out in the woods 'rakoon hunting' as a youngster couple times and left behind by your uncles til day break.
Seems all kind of funny to those jokers but it teaches you a few things...

Oldstick

OK, sorry about that guys. I assumed the OP was a troll post. Trying to get rise a out of folks like so many times before.
But for the record, I did not mean a round anywhere near the direction of the presumed person with a light. Only near my own feet, just like trying to scare away a coyote or wild dog heard or seen approaching. Ground I can remember and they can come dig up the bullet later if needed proof.

buckpasser

@Danuwoa

I’d like to put our sports forum banter aside for a minute and ask, have you seen a jack-o-lantern? I’m being serious for a change, BTW. My wife’s grandfather (80) claims they were a fairly common occurrence in his NC Appalachian childhood. He said they would rise up over a swampy spot and eventually disappear. He doesn’t believe them to be a purely natural phenomenon. I’ve never seen one, and in the world of cameras, I guess my belief is waning a bit.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
@Danuwoa

I’d like to put our sports forum banter aside for a minute and ask, have you seen a jack-o-lantern? I’m being serious for a change, BTW. My wife’s grandfather (80) claims they were a fairly common occurrence in his NC Appalachian childhood. He said they would rise up over a swampy spot and eventually disappear. He doesn’t believe them to be a purely natural phenomenon. I’ve never seen one, and in the world of cameras, I guess my belief is waning a bit.
Yes. Saw one this past November. A good buddy of mine was with me. I figure it’s natural but dont claim to know what it is.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
So the story is, sitting around the barracks at Ft. Stewart one Saturday afternoon, talking smack I told my buddies about the Frogmore light, my Dad had seen while stationed at Parris Island and I had been with him a few times to see it and never had. So, we (me, Rowe, Sutherland, Starky and Scott) loaded up in Sutherlands 1970 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with a 12 pack of cool beers (or two) and headed for Beaufort.

Sutherland being from South Carolina had heard of said light and wanted to see it. Anyhoo, we arrive around 11pm that night and start down the single two-lane road in the absolutely middle of nowhere, find the old oak tree (supposedly hung slaves there in the 1800s) turned around and parked.

We sit there in the deep dark (dark like the inside of your colon) talking trash as its probably all made up bull hockey and we ain't going to see a thing. So after about a hour or so, we are out of beer and decided to was time to head back to the barracks, when Sutherland says what is that red light up the road? We all get to looking and shure enough there was a dull (but getting brighter) red light coming, which then proceeded to turn a somewhat bright white light and come toward us... Sutherland and Starky (he was from Mississippi) start yelling "its a haint! its coming fer us! I'm sitting there dumbfounded and saying to myself " Dang it is REAL!" Scott is in the floorboard crying and hollering for us to pop smoke and skedaddle out the AO, Rowe has his hands over his eyes and babbling what sounded like a prayer...all the while the light is getter what seem brighter...about this time Sutherland cranks the car and punches it...the light disappears and as we scream down that dark country road, we never passed another car.

So this how the story ends... a unexplained light in rural South Carolina that routed 5 tough Infantrymen in July '89.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@Danuwoa

@buckpasser

I've seen it a few times in my life, and back at post #99 I explained what it is as it was explained to me.

Based on what I've seen, it would be very hard to successfully get a picture.

It's there, and then it's gone in seconds.

When fishing in the Okefenokee during the daytime, it is pretty common to see a big bubble of gas rise from the water, and disturb the silty bottom. My Dad told me that these "eruptions" are what causes the spook light. But several different conditions have to line up just right in order for it to "ignite". And it is near impossible to predict.

Ain't nothing supernatural about it, but it'd take a smarter feller than me to explain it fully.