WiFi keeps dropping

shaggybill

I set up my wireless a few months after using the cable for a while, and every 20-30 minutes, it will drop out and I have to reconnect. This is pretty frustrating when I'm watching tv online because I have to rewatch the commercials to get back to where I was. I consider myself moderately pc savvy, but this has got me beat. There's a guy in the apartment above me with wifi who I get a pretty strong signal from, and I thought that might be causing it, but I don't know why that would cause my computer to drop my own internet.

Any idears?

shaggybill

What do you mean by the radio is going bad?

polaris30144

What wireless router do you have? I had a Netgear and it was junk, it did the same as yours after six months. I bought a Lynksys about a year ago and no more problems. The radio is the part of the router that transmits the signal to your 'puter. I researched on the net and found that Netgear was considered the worst of the inexpensive routers. Go to Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com and research the users opinions on different routers to see what kind of problems people have with different brands and models.

sbfowler

You should be able to log into your router. The instruction manual will tell you how to do this via an IP address within your Web browser, ie like 168.1.0.1 or something. You can then change the channel, which usually ranges from 1-7. It could be conflicting with another router close by if that's posssible where you live (ie a neighbor's wireless router). Also, go to the manufacturer website and look for a firmware upgrade. This is the software that tells the hardware inside the router what to do. Often, a manufacturer realizes a defect and releases an upgraded firmware package to fix/upgrade it. If you have Netgear, I have heard many problems associated with them. I personally use Linksys without a problem and have installed two additional Linksys routers for friends and family this weekend without fail.

Last edited:

shaggybill

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Belkin router. I'll try changing the channel and see if that helps.

Huntinfool

Yep....change the channel that it's running on. If that doesn't work (and try them all first), then you've just got a bad router IMO. Go buy a higher quality machine (Linksys preferably) and set it up.

sometimes they just go bad. BTW....I think Linksys routers have 11 channels. I just set mine up a few months ago and it was a bugger to set up. Finally changed the channel to 11 (I think) and that was the trick. No problems since then at all.

I think I've had to re-set it once in three months?

shaggybill

Well, I changed the channel and so far it's been working well. I had changed the channel from 11 to 1 when I first got it because it was dropping the connection. Yesterday I reset everything back to factory settings and started over at 11. It seems to be working fine. Thanks again everyone.

Huntinfool

11 is what worked for me as well. None of the "suggested" channels worked at all.

bear-229

if you have to change channels keep it on 1,6 or 11. those are the only non overlapping channels.
did you notice any thing else going on (phone ring, microwave, game system with wireless controllers) that would conflict.