Cutting the cord...sort of

DannyW

Like many others, I decided to break up with my cable company after 36 years. My cable bill has slowly swollen to $240 a month and it was time to go.

Since Spectrum is my only choice for internet, and they knew it, I was going to have to continue paying them $90 per month for that service. My plan was to add an off-air antenna for locals, and YouTube or Fubo for streaming content. This would make my total bill roughly $170 per month, saving me around $70 a month. Sweet.

When I called to disconnect, the rep asked what my plans were for TV. When I told her, she said they could do better than that. She then quoted me my same cable package channel line-up, including off-airs and a bump in internet speed to 400 MBPS, for $140 a month. The only difference was I would receive it via streaming vs traditional cable plant.

I didn't even know they offered a streaming service! I went to their website and eventually found it, but they sure weren't highlighting it. So now I have EXACTLY the same content, including local broadcast channels and guide, for $100 a month less. And $30 a month less than by using a streaming service. It's a pretty tough learning curve using a streaming device vs a cable box (mostly the remote control), but I can learn it.

Of course, this option will not be available to everyone. My cable provider is Spectrum but I'm pretty confident other providers will have some version of streaming. Or they will fall in line soon on streaming...they have no choice...the total number of traditional cable TV subscribers has fallen from 100 million subs to 65 million subs over the last 10 years.

BTW...I don't work for Spectrum. I did work in the cable TV industry for 35 years, but on the supplier side. Just in case you're wondering.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Good info. Might help quite a few folks. Thanks.

BeerThirty

Seems like a wise choice because $240/month sure is a heck of a lot to pay for TV.

I'm in at around $85/month for internet, landline and Netflix. Spectrum does offer "retention" discounts to longstanding customers, just FYI. We learned about this recently and you specifically have to speak to someone in their "retention" department. But as 10+ year customers, we've had our bill reduced by $30/month going on several months now...

DannyW

Seems like a wise choice because $240/month sure is a heck of a lot to pay for TV.

I'm in at around $85/month for internet, landline and Netflix. Spectrum does offer "retention" discounts to longstanding customers, just FYI. We learned about this recently and you specifically have to speak to someone in their "retention" department. But as 10+ year customers, we've had our bill reduced by $30/month going on several months now...
You got that right, we had been planning a move for a couple of years but hadn't taken action due to laziness, complacency or stupidity - you pick one, or all three.

ryanh487

I never waitch cable TV, but the cost difference between having the 140 channel basic package and internet only for my xfinity is like $15 so i keep it. I use their streaming app though, no cable boxes hooked up in my house. For streaming, I have the top tier unlimited data plan through Verizon since i use my phone for work from home, and it includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Because of my 10+ years with Xfinity/comcast, they give me Peacock for no extra cost. I pay Netflix and use amazon enough for online shopping that the amazon streaming service included in my prime membership is just a bonus. at this point most of the streaming platforms have added ads unless you pay extra, but i still like the ability to watch the shows i want and as many episodes as i want any time day or night instead of being on the cable company's schedule, plus the ability to pause for any amount of time and continue at my convenience.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Comcast still wants to bill me 100.00 a month for just internet. I'm fix'n to go with AT&T

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Changed back in August, got rid of cable and house phone, $60 a month for internet compared to $240, plus it's faster.

We liked the house phone, but if the internet was down so was the phone.

Shantel is who we have

pjciii

They go up on their regular customers so they can provide new customers those savings. I have good agents like @DannyW I have also had them say I had to disconnect for 90 days to get the lower rate.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Comcast still wants to bill me 100.00 a month for just internet. I'm fix'n to go with AT&T
T-Mobile wireless internet for $55.00/mo. It has been flawless. Also: outdoor TV antenna that I really don't use because I don't want to see two fellers talking about some prescription med with dangerous side effects and more.

DannyW

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, I don't have an alternative choice for internet. I have called ATT, Verizon, Xfinity, Google and none of them offer service for my area.

Which is surprising considering I live in a modestly affluent, densely populated area of Gwinnett County (the Sever Road corridor just above the I-85 and Hwy 316 split.)

Redbow

We had a spectrum repair man out recently to check our cable box. It was bad and the box was replaced. The repairman told us spectrum is going totally streaming within a year or so. Our internet bill with spectrum is way too high but what we have pleases the wife, sooooo....

Headshot

Have Spectrum.....cut the cable tv last summer and went to Roku and Youtube tv. Overall, my bill lowered around $40/month. I talked with Spectrum people on three different occasions to see what other plans they had to reduce my monthly cost but "I had their best plan for me." Wife demands we keep house phone so we have that in addition to Spectrum internet. If/when AT&T brings fiber into my neighborhood and with a good pricing plan, I'll go with AT&T.

LTZ25

HEADSHOT it don't matter who you get it from , it's always the same end . I've got Spectrum and AT&T at home and lake and spectrum is maybe 25 percent less than at&t . If half of Americans quit this stupidity the price would drop by 75 percent . We pay hundreds for T V and have to watch commercials , with out us financing this it would become free again .

BeerThirty

The one thing you can get that will greatly improve your situation is: someone else's directTV account info. Don't ask me how I know...

DannyW

The one thing you can get that will greatly improve your situation is: someone else's directTV account info. Don't ask me how I know...
I went out on repair call with cable technicians a few times in my career at Scientific-Atlanta. On one call, we went to the side of the house to check the incoming line.

I looked up and saw a RG6 cable about 8-9 feet in the air, coming out of one house, and going into an upstairs window of the house next door.

The tech was bent over checking the outside box on the wall and I said "I think that I have found your problem".

I pointed up and the technician just sadly shook his head. :rofl:

sinclair1

A few months in on our Comcast dump. Went with a local fiber for internet and Netflix, Fire stick is fine for us.
We don’t watch sports, which is where they get a lot of people today.

transfixer

Check into Verizon wireless home internet, if its available in your area its very fast, and if you happen to have Verizon cell phones you get a better price, I pay $50 a month for unlimited internet, but I think its only $70 or so if you aren't already a Verizon customer , the wireless modem is about a 5in by 5in square, extremely easy to set up. I watch movies on Prime without any buffering whatsoever , its as fast or faster than the business internet we have at work

specialk

I went out on repair call with cable technicians a few times in my career at Scientific-Atlanta. On one call, we went to the side of the house to check the incoming line.

I looked up and saw a RG6 cable about 8-9 feet in the air, coming out of one house, and going into an upstairs window of the house next door.

The tech was bent over checking the outside box on the wall and I said "I think that I have found your problem".

I pointed up and the technician just sadly shook his head. :rofl:

early 80's i was in college splitting rent with a guy living in a small apartment complex, our next door neighbors had cable and rommy climbed up in the crawl space that was in our closet, found the incoming wire and spliced into it when he knew they weren't home....