Local cable appears to be dropping TV.

Artfuldodger

WOW! Cable must be dropping our cable TV. I guess we will just have internet service with them. If we switch to You Tube TV, we save $15 a month for 12 months. We will then get Live TV and local programming. What the heck is live TV?
Oh, and we then pick up free cloud DVR which seems like what all the companies are going too. It's nice that it's unlimited but they drop your recording after 9 months. Plus I'm reading that you can't automatically delete a show after you watch it. You just have to wait 9 months for them to delete it.
I think Hulu TV and Direct TV have or are going to Cloud DVR as well. I'm sure that's the wave of the future.

Anyone else hearing their cable company is dropping TV?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Who is your cable company and do you mean that they will now only offer cable internet service without any cable TV at all?
I've been reading that pay TV services have been declining since 2009. Maybe the cost for your cable company has finally reached a point that they can't recoup their investment. I cut the cord years ago and have an outdoor antenna. If you're in the Augusta area, you should consider an antenna as well and I bet you'd be surprised at how many over the air channels you'd get in addition to what you'd get with Youtube TV.

sinclair1

We just dumped xfinity and went with our local fiber internet and a Fire stick. We bought the METV app for the year for $85 and stream our Prime, Netflix and a few others my wife already had us doing. Saved a ton as the Xfinity went over $200 when we said enough and dumped it.

oldfella1962

Wow! I understood only a fraction of what you guys are talking about. I'm going to have to get my kids to explain all this to me - and help me out setting any of this up if how I now watch cable TV goes extinct - since I am way behind the power curve on technology. :(

Artfuldodger

Who is your cable company and do you mean that they will now only offer cable internet service without any cable TV at all?
I've been reading that pay TV services have been declining since 2009. Maybe the cost for your cable company has finally reached a point that they can't recoup their investment. I cut the cord years ago and have an outdoor antenna. If you're in the Augusta area, you should consider an antenna as well and I bet you'd be surprised at how many over the air channels you'd get in addition to what you'd get with Youtube TV.
We tried the antenna for a few months but it didn't work for us as we missed the shows that were on cable. Well my wife did, lol. All we could get on the antenna were the 3 local networks. She had trouble watching her live shows. Some she could find later in the week to watch on the internet.
My wife would also miss her DVR recording. When we were on the antenna I actually thought about buying one.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

August 2, 2023. Starting today WOW! Cable TV has stopped selling its traditional TV service and will now only offer YouTube TV to its customers.
“By bundling YouTube TV with WOW! Internet, we continue to execute on our broadband-first strategy and further uphold our commitment to deliver an exceptional WOW! experience for new and current customers,”
Current subscribers can stay on WOW!’s TV service for now, but the company is offering specials to migrate them over to YouTube TV.
We got a letter the other day that we have until January 31, 2024.

Looks like most folks go with You Tube TV or Hulu TV. The letter did say we could get local broadcasting channels on You Tube TV. I'm not sure if you get those on Hulu TV.

Last edited:

Baroque Brass

WOW! Cable must be dropping our cable TV. I guess we will just have internet service with them. If we switch to You Tube TV, we save $15 a month for 12 months. We will then get Live TV and local programming. What the heck is live TV?
Oh, and we then pick up free cloud DVR which seems like what all the companies are going too. It's nice that it's unlimited but they drop your recording after 9 months. Plus I'm reading that you can't automatically delete a show after you watch it. You just have to wait 9 months for them to delete it.
I think Hulu TV and Direct TV have or are going to Cloud DVR as well. I'm sure that's the wave of the future.

Anyone else hearing their cable company is dropping TV?
We have DirecTV stream and they do have a cloud DVR. We can protect a show and it won’t be deleted and we can delete a program at any time.