Good idea?

nhancedsvt

Banned
I only have 1 pistol and that is a XD .40. I am a pretty good shot with it but I don't know anything about the ballistics, etc. of it. Would it be possible to harvest a deer with this pistol or is it not a good idea? I usually carry it everywhere anyways and thought it might be fun to take a deer with it this season if possible. Thanks!

Forkhorn

Possible, Yes. Good idea, probably not with defense ammo. I'm a fan of the .40 for PD, and carry a Clock 23 everyday. Typical hollowpoints won't give you the consistent penetration you would need for ethical kills (IMO). Not ideal, but if you must....I would recommend you find some of the hotter loads like Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC Bullet :

200gr. Wide Flat Nose Gas Checked

Ballistics : 200gr. @ 1050fps / 490 ft/lbs- Glock 23 (4.0"bbl)
Glock 22 4.5" bbl - 1106fps
Glock 27 3.5" bbl - 1009fps

Just be ready to do a lot of cleaning. Its a lead bullet, not FMJ and can lead to some serious fouling in your autoloader.

www.Doubletapammo.com

Last edited:

guitarwes

seems to me you really need to be at a close range for an ethical kill with a .40. You stand a good chance of a bad runoff imho. I would think a head shot at <25-30 yards would be the best option, but a body shot at any greater distance than that would not suffice. I don't know, just go get a S&W .500. :D

-wes

hawgrider1200

Sounds to me like it would be a bad idea, but a good reason to buy another handgun.

nhancedsvt

Banned
Thanks guys. That's kind of what I figured but wasn't 100% sure.

Gote Rider

I only have 1 pistol and that is a XD .40. I am a pretty good shot with it but I don't know anything about the ballistics, etc. of it. Would it be possible to harvest a deer with this pistol or is it not a good idea? I usually carry it everywhere anyways and thought it might be fun to take a deer with it this season if possible. Thanks!

Your .40cal should do good on deer if you keep your shots 30 yds. and less. To find out how it will do take it on a hog hunt. If you can kill a 150+lb. hog a deer will be easy to get with your .40cal. hogs are alot tougher than deer. I have killed 5 hogs with my .44cap and ball pistol this year and it does not pack as much punch as your .40. Shot placement is the key. It is not what you shoot its how you shoot..Good Luck..