Norma Whitetail .308 150 Warning

Liberty

Could have been a factory misloaded box. Did you happen to buy 2 so maybe you could try more? Another thing to think about is bullet performance at longer ranges if velocity is 300-400 fps lower than average to start with. I don’t blame you in using a different brand. Good info
I’ll check into it next time we go out shooting. We have 4 slick tops in view right now. Hoping some antlers show up this evening at a reasonable range!

I've heard some people say that the bullet in the norma soft point load is an oryx bonded bullet. I don't necessarily believe that though. They are pretty destructive on deer at close range. Much like a traditional soft point.

Reactions: Kev

Philbow

Chronographed some Norma whitetail 308 Win 150 grain today. Recorded velocities at around 15 ft were 2795, 2772, 2693 and 2775fps, average of 2759. Used a 20 inch CZ 557 with slightly over a1 inch group at 100 yards (pretty much as good as I ever shoot with anything). No idea why the OP had such low velocities unless some of the Norma 180 grain cartridges got in the wrong box. The velocities would be about right for 180 grain bullets.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Interesting, my 308 shoots Norma very accurately. Killed a few deer with it, all pass throughs, all dead. All sub 100 yds though. I hope the OP just got a bad lot and I don’t have to find different ammo.

Liberty

Chronographed some Norma whitetail 308 Win 150 grain today. Recorded velocities at around 15 ft were 2795, 2772, 2693 and 2775fps, average of 2759. Used a 20 inch CZ 557 with slightly over a1 inch group at 100 yards (pretty much as good as I ever shoot with anything). No idea why the OP had such low velocities unless some of the Norma 180 grain cartridges got in the wrong box. The velocities would be about right for 180 grain bullets.
Thats a good point about the 180, I bought some when they first came out while they were the cheapest on the shelf at Academy. They might have been working the bugs out at the factory.. Glad to hear mine might be a 1 off box. I have another box bought around or at the same time that I'll chrono after the rut. We're killing good deer this week on my place. As a side note, I've remembered how good PowerPoints kill deer. I killed my first deer with one as a youngster.

Last edited:

rosewood

Hmm. I have heard that some folks will swap ammo around in boxes in the store for fun. It may be someone swapped the 150 and 180 boxes. Might answer that question if u can pull a bullet or recover one and weigh it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Hmm. I have heard that some folks will swap ammo around in boxes in the store for fun. It may be someone swapped the 150 and 180 boxes. Might answer that question if u can pull a bullet or recover one and weigh it.
My buddy dropped off a box of once fired factory ammo 300wsm empty cases that his Father had stashed away years ago. They were nickel plated.
As I was resizing them I got to one that was TIGHT. I looked at the die to make sure everything was as it should be and I finally pulled the case out of the shell holder and noticed the neck was much smaller than 30cal. Turned out that there were 5 270 wsm cases in that box. He never owned a 270 wsm.
He sent them down the barrel at some point 20 years ago.
Someone wherever he bought them at must have swapped some 270 for 300 either accidentally or on purpose.
But it also means that someone else may have gotten some 3000wsm in with the box of 270wsm they bought and I hope for their sake the ammo didn't chamber.
I am positive that this happens more than itt should in stores that keep ammo out where customers can fondle it.

HughW2

Thanks Liberty for original Post and starting this thread.

Very valuable insights from everyone and good to share our experience. Norma Whitetail came out when ammo was very scarce and NormaShooting.com was an outstanding resource during some lean times for ammo. Beretta just finished their acquisition of Norma and since then the deals seem to have dried up; Beretta is not offering deals as frequently and not as good a discounts when they do.

I have been very impressed with the accuracy of Whitetail and average sub moa in both .308 and .270 Win. It surpasses Remington Core-Lokt and Win Powerpoint in my rifles.

I shot a doe with it this year and got good but not great performance. The doe was young probably a 1 1/2 yo. I didn’t weight her but she couldn’t have been over 100 -125 lbs. She gave me a quartering away shot and point of impact was mid rib cage angling thru far shoulder. I would have expected a complete pass through, but found a lump on the far shoulder and sure enough it was the bullet directly under the skin. Bullet was beautiful perfect mushroom. But again I was expecting complete pass through on 100 lbs doe at 65-70 yards. Net result was load did it job, just not up to expectations.

I like the actual bullet Norma is using, just wish they would consider a little hotter load, but then it probably wouldn‘t be quite as accurate. Ohh well, the quest for perfect whitetail medicine continues.
IMG_0119.jpegIMG_0118.jpeg

Last edited:

Kev

Thanks Liberty for original Post and starting this thread.

Very valuable insights from everyone and good to share our experience. Norma Whitetail came out when ammo was very scarce and NormaShooting.com was an outstanding resource during some lean times for ammo. Beretta just finished their acquisition of Norma and since then the deals seem to have dried up; Beretta is not offering deals as frequently and not as good a discounts when they do.

I have been very impressed with the accuracy of Whitetail and average sub moa in both .308 and .270 Win. It surpasses Remington Core-Lokt and Win Powerpoint in my rifles.

I shot a doe with it this year and got good but not great performance. The doe was young probably a 1 1/2 yo. I didn’t weight her but she couldn’t have been over 100 -125 lbs. She gave me a quartering away shot and point of impact was mid rib cage angling thru far shoulder. I would have expected a complete pass through, but found a lump on the far shoulder and sure enough it was the bullet directly under the skin. Bullet was beautiful perfect mushroom. But again I was expecting complete pass through on 100 lbs doe at 65-70 yards. Net result was load did it job, just not up to expectations.

I like the actual bullet Norma is using, just wish they would consider a little hotter load, but then it probably wouldn‘t be quite as accurate. Ohh well, the quest for perfect whitetail medicine continues.
View attachment 1270628View attachment 1270629
The Norma soft point rounds are considerably hotter that the whitetails. The soft points also cause pretty extreme meat damage. I don’t know the difference in these two bullets but they are different.

Liberty

I went out to the shed today after church and inspected the whitetail brass. The head stamp is shallower and wider than some older Norma .308 brass that I have. The whitetail is lighter as well.

furtaker

I was thinking the same thing. There is so much trash out there that nothing the human race does surprises me any more. In the example bullethead posted, I'd be fine if the perpetrators got charged with attempted murder.

Dub

This is an eyeopening thread.

I never gave it a second's thought when grabbing a box of ammo off the shelf in a store. Not once have I considered some fool may have swapped ammo around.
People will do some low down things.

My favorite LGS keeps their ammo behind the counter. Hopefully this will safeguard against the dipsticks who'd attempt to do such things.

rosewood

I never gave it a second's thought when grabbing a box of ammo off the shelf in a store. Not once have I considered some fool may have swapped ammo around.

My favorite LGS keeps their ammo behind the counter. Hopefully this will safeguard against the dipsticks who'd attempt to do such things.
I spotted this punk trying to steal a box of 9mm one day. He had 2 other thugs with him cruising around Academy. He had the box sort of hid in his palm and was walking to the back of the store. I eased other where I could see him and saw him stuff it in his pants. Told the guy behind the gun counter, but I think his buddy may have heard me. Also told the guy at front door. Saw him later in the week, and he said that the kid didn't have it on him. Not sure how they checked, he must have ditched it or passed off to buddy.

Rosewood

Last edited:

rosewood

Just continue to roll your own and no worries. :) Just make sure you powder is sealed when you buy it.

furtaker

I spotted this punk trying to steal a box of 9mm one day. He had 2 other thugs with him cruising around Academy. He had the box sort of hid in his palm and was walking to the back of the store. I eased other where I could see him and saw him stuff it in his pants. Told the guy behind the gun counter, but I think his buddy may have heard me. Also told the guy at front door. Saw him later in the week, and he said that the kid didn't have it on him. Not sure how they checked, he must have ditched it or passed off to buddy.

Rosewoo
I saw an empty 380 ammo box stashed on a shelf at Academy a while back. Lots of scum out there.