Scope help

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
So....

I've been hunting with a Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag for 15 years. Simmons 6-18x40 scope. It has served me well, and I have successfully taken deer out to 300 yards. Never shot/practiced beyond that. Very happy with it...1-inch groups (seated, off a bench/bags) at 100 yds, and pretty consistent 2-inch groups at 200 yds.

Planning a NM elk hunt this fall, and GF got me a Vortex Crossfire 6x24x50, as everything I've read said I should be ready to shoot out to 400 yds, and I'm thinking the extra magnification will certainly help.

Due to the increase from 40 to 50mm objective lens, I had to switch out to some Vortex Pro Series 'high' mounts, for the scope to clear the barrel and action. Installed on my weaver rails, and torqued to factory settings.

Initial trip to the range, sighted in at 100 yds, and was able to get about a 2-inch group (using both factory Federal accushock 150 gr SP, and hand loaded Hornady Interlock 154 gr SPs).

Stepped out to 200 yds, and my group goes to 6-8 inches, and is very scattered. My initial thought was poor/inconsistent cheek weld, so I ordered a Beartooth Comb raising kit, and put on a 3/8-inch pad. That gave me a very consistent and quick full-scope acquisition.... back to the range.

Went to a friends place that allowed me to set up targets at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yds.

100 yds - 1.5 inch groups (factory & hand load)
200 yds - 7-8 inch groups
300 yds - couldn't land a shot on a 12-inch splatter target
400 yds - Hit an 18-inch circle splatter target, but with about an 12-inch spread (one hit at 3 o'clock, right on edge of target, one hit at 5 o'clock, right on edge of target.

At this point, I reached out to Vortex tech support. Only other suggestion they had was to check the torque on the action screws. Those were just under spec, but barely.

I mailed the scope back to Vortex to see if there's something wrong with it, or what...

Any thoughts? While I have a few months to see how this plays out, my number 1 option is to put the simmons back on, and make sure it's zeroed and get comfy with it again, and just return the Vortex.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
It kinda sounds like the scope is a little out of alignment.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Maybe a parallax issue

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Your not giving me hope DW, I have a similar model sitting on the bench to mount on my .308.

Robust Redhorse

I've owned one Vortex, and it was a dud, so I decided to cut and run then and there.

I am not a fanboy of the brand.

I used a Leupold 3.5-10x50 for my NM Elk.

I would suggest getting a scope that was less than 6X on the lower end.

You never know when you will be trying to find one in timber.

dwhee87

Your not giving me hope DW, I have a similar model sitting on the bench to mount on my .308.
If it helps, Ruger, my buddy has a AR10 with an older version of the same scope I have (except his is 6-18x), and when all this was transpiring, I picked his up, and drilled the 400 yr target, 2 shots, about a 2.5 inch spread on the group. So 1) seems to work fine on his, and 2) I ruled out user error.

dwhee87

Maybe a parallax issue
I'm thinking that may be at least part of it. Not being used to a high mounted scope makes it difficult to get a consistent cheek weld, and if that's not consistent, then my eye is off center. I'm hoping that's my issue, and I just need more practice. Good thing I reload, as I've been through +80 rounds in the last month and a half trying to get this worked out.

dwhee87

I’m not a fan of vortex scopes but their Bono’s are pretty good
Bass Pro had a special a month ago...I couldn't pass up. Crossfire 10x50 HD's, with a bino harness/case, for $129.

Robert28

My first suggestion would be to try some different mounts. I’m not familiar with Vortex scope mounts, wonder who makes them or are they made in house? The crossfire scopes are good scopes for the price point.

menhadenman

If you know the rifle shoots well (especially with a Simmons) it’s definitely the scope. Good on ya for getting it sorted out now. I’d personally quit wasting time and ammo on that scope.

SWFA makes some bomb proof scopes and usually had a Memorial Day sale. You can get a fixed 10 or 12 for $200 (30 mm tubes). Guys on two other forums got me onboard and I’m there.

Hillbilly stalker

That 110 in a 7 mag kicks like a mule. They had a reputation for it. I’m really surprised that ol Simmons held up as long as it did. I’lll bet it’s more recoil than the Vortex can handle.

menhadenman

Forgot to mention, I’ll also be hunting elk this fall with a 7 RM and reload quite a bit. If you’re ever up towards Blairsville give me a shout and we can get sorted out at Chatuge gun club. I’ve got enough mounts and scopes to make both our wives faint simultaneously.

dwhee87

That 110 in a 7 mag kicks like a mule. They had a reputation for it. I’m really surprised that ol Simmons held up as long as it did. I’lll bet it’s more recoil than the Vortex can handle.
Yeah...you can imagine after 80 rounds down the tube, what my shoulder feels like.

dwhee87

Forgot to mention, I’ll also be hunting elk this fall with a 7 RM and reload quite a bit. If you’re ever up towards Blairsville give me a shout and we can get sorted out at Chatuge gun club. I’ve got enough mounts and scopes to make both our wives faint simultaneously.
Appreciate the offer.

Latest posts