New scope, cloverleafs and bears

TJay

I posted on here not too long ago that I'd done a scope swap on my Tikka, swapped out a Swaro Z3 for a Leupold VX5 HD. I went to the range today to get it sighted in and once I had it shooting where I wanted I shot this little "cloverleaf" 3 shot group. I don't like to brag (except for fish, and deer, and my wife, and my grandkids) but this is certainly the tightest little group I have ever shot. I usually load 43.5 grains of Varget but this time around I loaded 43.6 grains just to see if a tenth of a grain would have any impact at all on muzzle velocity. I had my friends little Garmin chrono (it's so cool) but couldn't really discern any difference in velocity or if there was it got lost in extreme spread. Anyhoo it was a great day, had the range all to myself and my little Tikka shot lights out.
Before I left I went down to the new multi distance range that has targets from 100 out to 500 and something just to do a look-see. While I was standing there I looked down and there were these bear tracks in the mud. Bears have been spotted at the range before so it's not really a big deal but kind of neat nonetheless. I didn't have time today but when I get my turret installed I'm going to give this new range a whirl. Fun day!

Attachments

• IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 45
  • RNFU8017.JPG
    RNFU8017.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 45
  • HSHH8644.JPG
    HSHH8644.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 44

fatback

Glad your new scope is working out for you. I’ve got a couple on the way to put on a couple of rifles. Sounds like you had a pretty good day.

bullgator

Love it when a plan comes together

SC Hunter

Tikka rifles have developed a cult like following on another forum I visit and seem to be serious business. I have a 22-250 T3 that shoots good but that is all the experience I have with them other than what I see others post. Good shooting for sure!

HughW2

Tikka rifles have developed a cult like following on another forum I visit and seem to be serious business. I have a 22-250 T3 that shoots good but that is all the experience I have with them other than what I see others post. Good shooting for sure!
Great comment SC. Tikkas are the “Easy Button” for a quality deer rifle right now. But don’t buy one and expect it to shoot like that. Every Tikka I have shot is an easy MOA rifle; but not much better than moa. That group that TJay shot is the result of some excellent reloading skill and some very good shooting skill. Tikkas are good, but not that good!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I shot 1 the other day for the first time also in .22-250 quiet. It shot pretty good for me. One more shot (3rd shot) and I'm sure I could have put the round in the other hole he made. The guy that has the rifle is from S. Africa and said he would only use a Tikka or Sako action to build a custom rifle...made one of my eyebrows raise up

TJay

Great comment SC. Tikkas are the “Easy Button” for a quality deer rifle right now. But don’t buy one and expect it to shoot like that. Every Tikka I have shot is an easy MOA rifle; but not much better than moa. That group that TJay shot is the result of some excellent reloading skill and some very good shooting skill. Tikkas are good, but not that good!
I would tend to agree with that. This rifle will not shoot better than moa with factory ammo. It has a long throat such that when I started loading for it I seated the bullet as far out as I could within the confines of the factory mag and it was still moa at best. I bought a mag from Mountain Tactical that afforded a little more space and once I seated them out as far as I could using that magazine the accuracy was finally there. That being said they are a great rifle and accurate, but like a lot of rifles out there some shoot better than others.