200 Yard Target Adjustment

SWAMPFOX

I shot this 5-shot group at 200 yards with my 7mm-08 Ruger Compact rifle. I was using a hand load of 40 grains of IMR 4064 powder and a 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip bullet. I want to move the group to the left to center it better but I can't figure out how many clicks to make the correct adjustment since it's at 200 yds instead of 100 yds. My scope is a Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40, with one click = 1/4 min at 100 yds.

Any suggestions as to the number of clicks/inches would be appreciated.

Thanks.DSC_0519.JPG

SWAMPFOX

Thanks for the information about 200 yard adjustments. That really helps my understanding.

Meriweather Mike, I appreciate your insight. I'm right handed and squeeze the trigger with my right forefinger. Over the years, I have gotten arthritis in it and it bends toward the middle finger. Obviously it has affected my shooting and I need to adjust and compensate for that. Thank you.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Let's be honest, we all like to see tack driving groups neatly stacked an inch high above the bullseye.
But
Center that group over the bullseye and a bullet is going to land within 2.5" of the aiming point at worst. For a whitetail or bear center vitals hold....it is going to kill a LOT of game.
My father's generation and earlier were happy to hit a pie plate with a single bullet at 100yds and they always had deer tied to the fenders.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I agree but I had rather be able to hit the end of a beer can if possible but things keep getting worse. I can't see the beer can at 100 any more. LOL

specialk

i'd move the 2nd hole to the right closer to the center and call it a day...if this gun was for hunting deer....

bullgator

Easy……..look at the adjustment knob of your scope to find the value of 1 click @ 100 yards. Figure out how many you need at 100 and then do half of that.

example: you want to move 2” left at 200

your clicks are 1/4” at 100……which equals 1/2” @ 200.

move 4 clicks left.

Darkhorse

Moving the group sounds perfect but I don't do it anymore because often the rifle moves while you dial the scope and I forget how many clicks I've moved it. Then I have to start over.
I firmly believe that to improve ourselves we must challenge ourselves first. And a 3.0" group is not acceptable to me. I am looking for a 1/2" group if possible. Question then becomes... can I and my rifle shoot a 1/2" group anyway?
Well, yes I can and so can my rifles. Because I won't be satisfied with over that and over the years have worked on my shooting and my rifles so they too can shoot that tight.
Don't be satisfied with being average. Work to be better.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Moving the group sounds perfect but I don't do it anymore because often the rifle moves while you dial the scope and I forget how many clicks I've moved it. Then I have to start over.
I firmly believe that to improve ourselves we must challenge ourselves first. And a 3.0" group is not acceptable to me. I am looking for a 1/2" group if possible. Question then becomes... can I and my rifle shoot a 1/2" group anyway?
Well, yes I can and so can my rifles. Because I won't be satisfied with over that and over the years have worked on my shooting and my rifles so they too can shoot that tight.
Don't be satisfied with being average. Work to be better.
Nothing you said is wrong as long as it works for you.
With a 12x or 14x scope on the OP's rifle the 200yd group may shrink with only that change. 9x at 100yds shooting at a 1" target is sufficient. 9x at 200yds becomes less ideal for target shooting but works for getting a bullet into big game sized vitals. His Rifle may shoot a 1.5" group at 100yds and open up to 5" at 200 just because of the magnification. Or it shoots 5" groups at 200 because that is what all factors involved are capable of.
If that was my only rifle as is, I'd still hunt with it.

Big7

The Oracle
1 click will equal 1/2" at 200yds.
5 clicks left (2.5" left) should do it.
^^^^^^^ yep

And that VX2 is an excellent scope.

I had one on a favorite rifle for around 20 years and had to take it off so I could send it back to the factory.

I never had to adjust it after I got it set like I wanted it. I have a few Leupold scopes and I like them.

Darkhorse

Nothing I said was wrong. And yes it all works for me.
Everything I said was reference to my own rifles with me shooting them. The example of 3.0 group was only to give a value to the idea I was trying to get across.
I don't think you grasped at all what I was saying, or trying to say.

Latest posts