Scope help

Dub

The upside that many people praise Vortex for is their no questions asked replacement warranty.

The downside that many people ding Vortex for is their no questions asked replacement warranty.

Vortex appears to be quick to send out replacements....but what about the time and opportunities that are blown due to the failure of the original.....who among us has time for that ?????

Their Razor line has a loyal following....and also exist in market where some highly vetted competitors exist.

Outside of the Razor line it seems to be a coin toss with Vortex.

I have one of their budget models on a gun, but haven't used it yet. Even if it works out okay at the range....I don't know that I'll trust it on a hunt, as rare as those are these days.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I find the Viper PST pretty good too and have several. The Diamondback is OK for what I use them for and I have several of them as well. I think the Diamondback has a closer focus than the lower end units too. I doubt that I would use any of the others for anything I needed. I don't normally shop for budget on rile scopes either. I also don't normally shop for 34mm tube scopes either. I don't normally shoot at distances that I need that much travel.

Long Cut

The upside that many people praise Vortex for is their no questions asked replacement warranty.

The downside that many people ding Vortex for is their no questions asked replacement warranty.

Vortex appears to be quick to send out replacements....but what about the time and opportunities that are blown due to the failure of the original.....who among us has time for that ?????

Their Razor line has a loyal following....and also exist in market where some highly vetted competitors exist.

I have one of their budget models on a gun, but haven't used it yet. Even if it works out okay at the range....I don't know that I'll trust it on a hunt, as rare as those are these days.

Agreed. I own a pair of the Diamondback binoculars. I’ve DOGGED them out. They’ve fallen out of trees, get covered in sweat, bark and have sustained numerous 3-4’ drops... Toss ‘em in the back seat of the truck, get piled up with junk on top of them... Still going strong.

That being said, the precision of holding Zero is much more important. An animal’s life (and potentially yours depending on the uses for the weapon system) are at stake.

Some may scoff at the price tag of Nightforce, S&B, SWFA, Kahles, Swaro..... BUT you’ll see the value when you go to shoot that buck of a lifetime, on an out of State hunt and you’re shooting 3’ Left.

Want to test your equipment?
Zero that scope, put the rifle in its case and leave it hidden in your vehicle. Go drive around for 1 month. Go shoot the rifle again and see if your Zero has changed.

BriarPatch99

I kinda have the same thoughts about Vortex and the warranty(as Dub)... I am not really worried about quick and how good your warranty is ....I am more interested in a product that does not need a warranty....

Never cared for Vortex due the short eye relief ... I guess Leopold is the reason for that ....

Big7

The Oracle
Not following …are you saying a Savage 110 is a Bentley and a Swarovski is a bumper sticker?…
Savage makes good hunting rifles but I can't see putting a $2000.00 scope on a $600.00 rifle. For those that do, more power to them.

I bought my step son a wood 110 in .270 Win. around when he turned 17. He's almost 40 now and that's his only centerfire rifle.

He's killed a lot of deer with it especially before he took over a big company. He takes it every time he goes.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for myself IF I could get a good deal.

menhadenman

I missed a stud buck at 100 yds with a Leupold VariX 3, one of “the best.”

Haunted me for at least 15 years then finally shipped it off to learn the erector system was broken. They took care of me but I’ll be a dog if that happens to me again.

I’ve had a Nikon and cheap Bushnell fail on me too. Used to think Nikon was the best cheap scope out there.

Dub

Savage makes good hunting rifles but I can't see putting a $2000.00 scope on a $600.00 rifle. For those that do, more power to them.

I bought my step son a wood 110 in .270 Win. around when he turned 17. He's almost 40 now and that's his only centerfire rifle.

He's killed a lot of deer with it especially before he took over a big company. He takes it every time he goes.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for myself IF I could get a good deal.

Savage is actually making rifles that MSRP for over $2K.

Regardless of price paid....if a rifle is capable of consistently shooting sub MOA then I'd say it's a worthy host for great glass.

To each his own.

Unrelated.....try buying a new Ruger in .270 with a wood stock.

Jester896

Senior Clown
They took care of me but I’ll be a dog if that happens to me again.
I have only sent 2 scopes back in my life for repair...both Leupold. Yes I have/had Nikon, Pentex, Bushnell, and still have a Tasco on the shelf.

I emailed Vortex because I lost the zero stop shims for my Gen I Viper to buy some more. The shipped them N/C with swag...refused to let me pay.

Big7

The Oracle
Savage is actually making rifles that MSRP for over $2K.

Regardless of price paid....if a rifle is capable of consistently shooting sub MOA then I'd say it's a worthy host for great glass.

To each his own.

Unrelated.....try buying a new Ruger in .270 with a wood stock.
Last Ruger I saw in walnut was $1700.00. Field.

I never said anything was wrong with a Savage.

Long Cut

673D4C1E-AF13-470B-B615-13849DEB797A.jpeg

Pictured are 2 groups during ladder testing from my ~$300 CVA Scout in 6.5 CM, shot at 100 yards.
This rifle hasn’t even been broken in yet, that’s just a couple of the first 48 bullets through this barrel.
The scope on this rifle cost 2x the price tag of this gun, but SWFA’s punch WAYYY higher than their price tag.

To each their own. The rifles only as good as the optic that “guides” it.