6.5 creedmore vs 6.5 PRC

JR924

Sorry for long post, I highlighted the questions in bold, the rest is just background. I understand the differences in the 2 cartridges (6.5 Creedmore is well established with much more users, long term survival is better than the 6.5 PRC, 6.5 PRC goes 200 fps faster with same bullets but has more recoil, 6.5 Creedmore ammo has more choices in ammo and guns, 6.5 Creedmore is cheaper, either Ok for elk size but PRC has a bit more range but may not matter in hunting as accuracy will probably limit range and 6.5 PRC has longer barrel life although will not matter if shooting occasional which I will do).

I do not reload, the ammo cost not as much a factor as I will just shoot occasionally, recoil not an issue for me and I can get the gun I want (Sauer 100 is cheaper in 6.5 PRC although a minor issues). However the big factor is the use. I want it to shoot varmints (mainly coyotes at about 500 yards or less. But maybe go out west again for elk, mule deer and antelope which I think 400 yards would be my limit, maybe 300). My deer hunting is close range so not needed. Going to put on a high power scope. , I was leaning toward the 223 (which I cannot find a cheap Sauer 100 in that caliber) or a 6.5 Creedmore but the cheaper 6.5 PRC gun has peaked my interest and I reason the occasional shooting is not much of an issue with ammo costs and barrel life. Based on this information, which caliber 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmore do you think is right for me or is another caliber.

Also open to a well made gun (minimal plastic) of similar price (<$700) that can shoot as good as a Sauer 100
. (Blaser barrel with 1 MOA 5 shot group guaranteed with factory ammo at 100 yards per what the factory rep told me). My 8x57 Sauer 100 has met that requirement a majority of time with a 10X scope from a sand bag. I have ruled out the Tika because to much plastic although I believe it would shoot as good or better than the Sauer.

Gator89

I jumped into the 6.5 this offseason with a Bergara B14 in 6.5 Creedmore. I have found multiple ammo options on the shelf from 125 grain up to 140 grain.

I have some, 125, 129, 131 and 140 to check out in the next couple of months.

earlthegoat2

What other rifles do you have?

If you have a 308, 270, 30-06, or similar than you already have your elk rifle.

If you have an elk rifle already the choice is very very easy. 223.

If you must have a 6.5 cal then 6.5 Creedmoor and mostly because of factory ammo availability.

IF, elk hunting would be a truly viable option in the future, and a 6.5 is all you are willing to take then the PRC is the better tool. It is making a name for itself as an elk cartridge as well more recently. Factory ammo may be a bit more scarce but buy a bunch now in which you would be comfortable hunting elk with and find your factory loading. Do the same with your varmint round of choice. Then buy a bunch now.

FlipKing

Factory 6.5 Hornady eldx is listed at 2700fps 24" barrel. I order custom eldx that I'm getting 2781 out of a 24" barrel. Cuts into the prc speed advantage and my gun can shoot cheaper factory ammo when I want.

JR924

I have a 8x57 sauer 100 that I used for elk. Good for 350 yards. Thinking about it after your post, elk would be off the list but would like a flatter shooting cartridge if I go on my planned mule and/or antelope hunt. I did not catch my error that the 223 is not suitable for big game. My main need is for a long shooting coyote gun. 500 yard shots are possible and I would take a greater chance in shooting long range instead of for big game. Are the normal shooting distances for mule deer and antelope farther than for elk?

Last edited:

menhadenman

Antelope are generally farther shots but then again depends on the terrain you’re hunting. I’ve killed maybe 20-25 antelope and mule deer, most with my 25-06 but a few with other cartridges (6.5 CM, 300 WSM, 7 RM, 30-06).

For what you’re saying, I’d be inclined to grab a 223 with a 1/7 twist so you can shoot heavy bullets (69-77 grain) - better in the wind and easy to get your hands on.

Lot of guys talking about the new 6 mm (243) options these days, 6 ARC and 6 Creedmoor. But you can also get an old fashioned 243 with a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets.

6.5 CM isn’t really flat shooting at all, really just popularized higher BC/heavy for caliber bullets that handle the wind better. With scopes that dial reliably and a range finder it’s a whole new game.

I’d probably go Creedmoor AND 223 in your shoes but there are a lot of great options out there.

JR924

Maybe a 243 might be a choice. However for the 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creedmore and 243, can you get the same accuracy with a factory barrel std twist with light bullets for varmints and heavier bullets for bigger game or do you have to choose one and suffer poorer accuracy with the other bullet choice?

bullgator

Without it being needed for elk, I’d compliment the 8x57 with a 6 Creedmoor. It would be acceptable for mule deer, perfect for antelope, and more than enough for 500 yard coyotes.

HughW2

Based on your comments I would recommend the CR. The PRC only starts offering advantages after 300 + yards and starts showing real advantages after 400+ yards. As noted in other responses above the CR offers greater availability and cheaper ammo. The CR is a wonderful cartridge to shoot; minimal recoil and extremely accurate. It is easy to see why it quickly achieved such a following.

SC Hunter

I have a bergara ridge in 6.5 creedmoor that I like alot. It's a solid gun and I shoot it very well. If you aren't going to shoot it much go with the PRC and buy a case of ammo for it when you find out what the gun likes.

A 223 that can accurately shoot the heavier rounds would be fun as well. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot some large animals with a 77 grain bullet of appropriate construction.

JR924

Pulling out an earlier question for focus, does the 223, 6.5 CR, 6.5 PRC and 243 factory rifles use twist rates that will stabilize the range of bullet weights available in factory ammo (varmint to deer size + game) and shoot them all equally accurate? Is there a specific manufacture's rifle in any of these calibers that does that.? I am leaning toward the 6.5 CM but do I need to put my hair in a man bun and wear a hat to hide my shame?????:(

menhadenman

The 6.5s both were made to spin heavier bullets so twist will always be 1:8” or very close. The 243 and 223 were not so you have to look. (Check out the old 244 Rem and why it caved to 243 Win - slow twist couldn’t spin deer boolits).

Tikka makes a 243 with a 1:8” now, many manufacturers make a 1:7” 223 (especially Wylde chamber) that’ll handle the 77s. A regular ol 243 would still do the trick tho.

Check out the new Ruger American Gen 2… held one the other day. It’s no Tikka but has some nicer features over the Gen 1.

Dub

Sorry for long post, I highlighted the questions in bold, the rest is just background. I understand the differences in the 2 cartridges (6.5 Creedmore is well established with much more users, long term survival is better than the 6.5 PRC, 6.5 PRC goes 200 fps faster with same bullets but has more recoil, 6.5 Creedmore ammo has more choices in ammo and guns, 6.5 Creedmore is cheaper, either Ok for elk size but PRC has a bit more range but may not matter in hunting as accuracy will probably limit range and 6.5 PRC has longer barrel life although will not matter if shooting occasional which I will do).

I do not reload, the ammo cost not as much a factor as I will just shoot occasionally, recoil not an issue for me and I can get the gun I want (Sauer 100 is cheaper in 6.5 PRC although a minor issues). However the big factor is the use. I want it to shoot varmints (mainly coyotes at about 500 yards or less. But maybe go out west again for elk, mule deer and antelope which I think 400 yards would be my limit, maybe 300). My deer hunting is close range so not needed. Going to put on a high power scope. , I was leaning toward the 223 (which I cannot find a cheap Sauer 100 in that caliber) or a 6.5 Creedmore but the cheaper 6.5 PRC gun has peaked my interest and I reason the occasional shooting is not much of an issue with ammo costs and barrel life. Based on this information, which caliber 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmore do you think is right for me or is another caliber.

Also open to a well made gun (minimal plastic) of similar price (<$700) that can shoot as good as a Sauer 100
. (Blaser barrel with 1 MOA 5 shot group guaranteed with factory ammo at 100 yards per what the factory rep told me). My 8x57 Sauer 100 has met that requirement a majority of time with a 10X scope from a sand bag. I have ruled out the Tika because to much plastic although I believe it would shoot as good or better than the Sauer.

My thoughts are to let the intended use dictate the cartridge choice.

1) You don't reload, so choose among the cartridges that are readily available with solid factory ammo. Avoid niche stuff. Look for bread 'n butter stuff.

2) You want a cartridge that is toting the mail at 300yds+ with enough gusto to cleanly kill elk, mule deer and antelope. Any round that can do that could also be used to practice on varmints. I'd strongly advise not trying to kill elk with a varmint cartridge. If you find yourself wanting to specialize in varmint hunting....then buy an entirely separate gun for that.

3) Only you know on how you shoot and your preferences for rifle weight and acceptable recoil are.
Be realistic as you consider this.
You are the one who has to tote the rifle on hunts.
You are also the one who has to tote the recoil punishment, if any that the gun delivers. Good shooting form will minimize the punishment and make it a routine feel. Shooters get hurt when they slump down low on a shooting range bench and swear off a certain gun. Get them in a more realistic upright hunting position where their body will absorb the recoil and they'll develop better and find they can handle most conventional hunting rigs with ease.

4)Understand the history of the various cartridges and their original purposes when developed. The 6.5 Creedmoor, for example, was an excellent target cartridge when it was released. Embraced by long range target shooters for: fast twist that stabilizes those long high b.c. bullets, chamber dimensions that allow those long high b.c. bullets, schmedium-to-medium velocity that gives low recoil & long barrel life while being efficient as it retains downrange accuracy due to said high b.c. bullets.
It was first a target cartridge that appealed to long range lobbers. It became a buzzword along the way. At some point it crossed over to be used for hunting. I don't have any experience using it for hunting so I can't speak on it. I love shooting it at paper & steel....and plan to wear out the barrels on my 6.5CM rifles....and probably rebarrel them with same.

5)For deer hunting, I will be grabbing my .30'06's, .270 Win's and .308's. If somebody called and said, "C'mon....we are going to hunt "varmint".....I'll grab something different from the safe, .243 Win bolt action, AR-15 in .223/5.56 or 6.5 Grendel.

If I was going out West to hunt elk, mule deer and antelope....I'd probably work up or by some slightly different ammo for one of my existing deer rifles above......or if I was going to buy a new gun for Western big game hunting....it would a 7RemMag or .300WinMag in the classics....but I'd look dang hard at the 7PRC (having faith that Hornady will keep on rolling out their solid factory loads for it).

"Based on this information, which caliber 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmore do you think is right for me or is another caliber.

Also open to a well made gun (minimal plastic) of similar price (<$700) that can shoot as good as a Sauer 100."

For hunting purposes I wouldn't give the matter a second's thought....it would be the 6.5 PRC between those two choices. Velocity kills. You'll get the benefits of the high b.c. tips shared from the 6.5CM but faster & flatter. I'd try some of the Hornady factory hunting loads(not many to choose)...find THE ONE and buy up as much as you can for practice and those hunts.

For the budget you gave, the Sauer 100 you already know & like looks like a strong contender. Don't discount a walnut stocked Howa 1500, too. Those Howas have many aftermarket replacement triggers available. Buy a bedding kit from Brownells....get that action securely & evenly bedded into the stock, clean trigger, solid scope mounting (don't skimp on quality rings/mounts/rail/etc....you'll pay for it later on), good sling and good glass and you are ready to practice.

Browning X-Bolt perhaps ? Not sure on wood stock availability in 6.5PRC.

The benefit of the polymer/composite stocks are they often have integral bedding blocks that maintain consistency during changing temps, humidity, travel well, durable, etc. I've found a few that I really like, however, none have the longstanding character of a walnut stocked rifle that you'll enjoy remembering the adventures that brought on the dents, dings and scratches.

Long answer.....sorry.

It was fun spending your money while sipping my first cup of coffee this morning. :)

menhadenman

I drank beers with a native from western Alaska a few years ago… has killed dozens of moose and caribou with a 6.5 Grendel. BIG moose to boot. Guys that know how to shoot and kill seem to do just that.

But a varmint rifle makes me want to say 223. Varmint + deer = 243/6mm, 257, or 264/6.5 is where I’d be… preferably with the best BC (fast twist) I could get for wind drift.

JR924

Bud's gunshop has a sauer 100XT in 243 and several larger calibers for $603 cash w/ free shipping. Creedmore and PRC are a little more. I am close to buying the 243 as it has a 1:10 twist and my feeling that varmints may be all I will do for the next 5 years. . I think a Creedmore is close to $700 at Cabelas. That is less than I paid ($690) 2 years ago for a 8x57.

Dub

I was under the impression that a .243 would kill and Elk at 688 yards.

it may have been because it was a Custom Rifle:huh:

I have great respect for the .243 Win.....however, if spending the effort, money and time to travel for an elk & mule deer hunt my .243 Win is staying home.

Again, no disrespect for the cartridge, but it is not making my traveling squad. YMMV.

buckpasser

It’s nice getting to read through the opinions of some serious ballistics experts in threads like this. I’m not qualified to answer because of my lack of experience with the CM or PRC, but my little baby Grendel has killed the stew out of a bunch of deer with no negative consequence, so I can’t imagine CM with a proper bullet being everything that’s needed OP. I’d like to hear what you decide.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have great respect for the .243 Win.....however, if spending the effort, money and time to travel for an elk & mule deer hunt my .243 Win is staying home.

Again, no disrespect for the cartridge, but it is not making my traveling squad. YMMV.
I would leave my factory rifle at home too. If I had a 1:8 custom I might bring it.

Sometimes it is hard to have the best of both worlds with one caliber. If you make it shoot heavies really well it won't shoot lights very good or vise versa.