308 vs 270 vs 6.5

furtaker

I'm thinking about selling my 25-06 to try something else just for the sake of trying something else. 6.5CM interests me but have always wanted to try a 6.5x55 Swede. An oldie that those across the pond swear by for groundhogs to moose and everything in between!

Funny thing about recoil. I don't seem to notice much recoil when shooting my 7mag at a deer but I get up from the target bench crying!
I have a Howa 6.5x55 and it's one of my favorite calibers.

I didn't even hunt with it last year but I was actually thinking today about hunting with it this year.

It's accurate and deadly with light recoil and noise. I handload for mine using the 140 Accubond.

FlipKing

Exactly. I'm not a big dude and I have little interest in a lot of recoil when less recoil can do the same job. Lol

@Dub I agree that a 270 has a significant amount more recoil than a 6.5 creedmoor in identical rifles. The OP was asking about the three chamberings in identical rifles originally. I've shot a bergara ridge in 270, 7mm mag, 308 and 6.5 since pretty much all my friends bought one after shooting my 6.5 Ponytail. The 270 is obviously more recoil over the 6.5 to me and everybody else shooting it. Some people say recoil doesnt bother them some it bothers more. I have gotten to where I don't care for it and can place a bullet where I want it with a small chambering.

ucfireman

Funny thing about recoil. I don't seem to notice much recoil when shooting my 7mag at a deer but I get up from the target bench crying
I sat next to a guy at Charlie Elliot shooting a 7mag. The concussion was significant.
That said he had a muzzle brake on it and said the recoil wasn't bad. He offered to let me shoot it but I declined. Never had a desire for one so why shoot it.
Probably should have looking back.

I have a tendency to flinch if I know the recoil is coming, so I like easy on the shoulders. I love the .35, I shoot 150 grain mostly.

furtaker

I sat next to a guy at Charlie Elliot shooting a 7mag. The concussion was significant.
That said he had a muzzle brake on it and said the recoil wasn't bad. He offered to let me shoot it but I declined. Never had a desire for one so why shoot it.
Probably should have looking back.

I have a tendency to flinch if I know the recoil is coming, so I like easy on the shoulders. I love the .35, I shoot 150 grain mostly.
I have no desire for a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle. I like my ears too much.

buckpasser

My ranking:

1).308 - tried and true, available
2) 6.5 - too trendy to disappear, more available than .270 lately and probably forever
3) .270 - good but no better for a SE deer gun than the other 2, plus least available

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The 308 and the 6.5 are pretty much the same woman wearing different shoes and a different shade of lipstick. The 270 is a different animal, but if she gets a party invitation, I can't help but wonder why her older sister with the bigger cup size didn't get hers.

Spit coffee on that one! ?

Baroque Brass

I recently went through this, my findings were the same as above 308 is the route to go. I have a 270 but would have gotten another. As for the 6.5 had numerous people tell me the pass through is so fast the deer end up running off. Don’t get me wrong they die, but you very well might have to find them! I have no experience with a 65 just from asking around! I ended up with the Begara B-14 Hunter in 308.
The deer I’ve shot with 6.5 didn’t go anywhere until I loaded them in the truck.

rosewood

seven oh eight!
Well, big fan here. However, you can find the Manbun ammo in about every store that carries ammo. Can't hardly even find seven oh eight on the internet right now. If you reload, it is a moot point.

Rosewood

Dub

I got a chuckle out of that, as I did when I first heard the 6.5 called the man bun gun. I retired my 30.06 in favor of the 6.5. The 6.5 is a very accurate, effective, and light recoiling rifle. And I don’t have a pony tail!?

Not yet, anyway....keep on chootin' that 6.5 and see what happens.

:rofl:

Just kidding, man. Just kidding.

It's always funny when people get wrapped around the axle over the various cartridges in these type discussions. Pretty soon someone will come along with with a pile of kills with a Kentucky long rifle and make us all look silly.

If my current self could go back and talk to my younger self....I'd ask why in the world was I toting heavy rifles in magnum calibers into the same woods where guys had been stacking them up with .30/30's for longer than I'd been alive. Same woods. Same deer.

I'm all for anything that keeps the firearm industry firing on all cylinders.

If that means accepting....and ultimately trying the 6.5CM then so be it. I'm all in. They sure are sweet shooting....and I hope the brass life is long. I'll never part with my .270's or .308's.....but I do enjoy the 6.5CM and it's little brother the Grendel.

My hair is thinning on top too much to have any worries over growing a man bun.....but I may be able to use some Ballistol as beard wax and grow out a mullet.

My younger self would've looked at my older self and answered that question simply, "Because I can".

Older, slightly wiser....just slightly.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve deer hunted with shotguns, 30 06, 243, 50 caliber real muzzleloaders-both percussion and flintlock, and for the last 30 years with a single shot 270, which is probably the only centerfire rifle I will use till my dying day. No matter what you use, bullet placement and a good bullet are the keys.

And I have a ponytail that hangs halfway down my back.

killerv

I recently went through this, my findings were the same as above 308 is the route to go. I have a 270 but would have gotten another. As for the 6.5 had numerous people tell me the pass through is so fast the deer end up running off. Don’t get me wrong they die, but you very well might have to find them! I have no experience with a 65 just from asking around! I ended up with the Begara B-14 Hunter in 308.

those numerous people you hang around with have no idea what they are talking about, pass through is about bullet construction and shot placement, has very little to do with caliber.

I have allot of experience with the 308/ 7.62 nato. I have killed deer with both rounds. I killed a Korean Water Deer with an M60 machine gun while on guard duty on the Korean DMZ . Took basic training with a M14. Actually carried an M14 for a while in Vietnam. Then I got an m16. I have a savage model 10 in 308 that I have killed so many deer with I have lost count. I also owned a Ruger model 1 270 that I killed a bunch of deer with. I killed a German Roe Buck with a Remington 760 game master in 270 while I was Stationed in Germany. I have watched The U.S. Army 8 th Army marksmanship team shoot consistently at 1000 meters on the Known Distance range in Korea shooting a Rock Island special 762. M14 With open peep sights and hit the bullseye every time the trigger was pulled . Most police sniper rifles in the west and Japan are 308 rifles of some brand. The 270 is a true killer and a good long range round and it’s a very good hunting round. The Military still uses the 7.62 nato round and still uses it in sniper rifles. Now the 7.62 is not a 308 but you sure can buy allot of FMJ ammo to target practice with cheap . Now will it shoot the same as your Deer and hog ammo probably not but you can tell the difference when your target practice. Do not shoot 308 ammo in a gun chambered for only 762. Chamber pressures are different. But you can shoot that cheap 7.62 all day long in your 308 . Make sure your ammo does not have corrosive primers . Now I have talked about the two guns that I know and have used. Currently I don’t own a 270 but I have. Goodluck!

Last edited: