Which of these calibers would you shoot...

Buford_Dawg

I wish I had kept my 6mm from way back in time, sweet shooter, but dummy me thought I needed a 7mm Remington, so traded it in on one. Goodness....

transfixer

Well... after leaving the range today the best shooter was the 6mm remington. Smooth as can be and I was busting the kill zone out to 400 yards.

The 270 was good but I think I need to get a different ammo and re-zero

The 308 and 7mm-08 were great but neither has the glass that I like at 350.

The 3006 (new gun to me) was the worst. The trigger needs some work and the glass needs to be upgraded.

You'll be more than fine with the 6mm, I've never owned one but they're ballistically a little better than the .243, little faster, which should give you more energy and range, the fact that its smooth to shoot means you'll enjoy it more,and recoil won't be a factor in making longer shots .

The 6mm remington is a phenomenal deer round with the right bullet. I usually use a 100 grain nosler partition because most of my shots are within 50 yards and in fairly thick cover. It usually drops deer in their tracks. The only negative is that factory ammo can be difficult to find.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
300 win mag/Mcwhorter. That’s what I shoot, it’s a custom rifle with Swarovski custom scope, zeroed at 200, good/comfortable shooting out to 800. Anything starting at 300 and out, you have a custom turret and move it to closest hundred yard increment number on scope and hold dead on. It’s a tack driver

Arrow3

The 6mm remington is a phenomenal deer round with the right bullet. I usually use a 100 grain nosler partition because most of my shots are within 50 yards and in fairly thick cover. It usually drops deer in their tracks. The only negative is that factory ammo can be difficult to find.
It worked well. 240 yards. 100 gr Federal Hydrashok. He jumped straight in the air and fell over.

Attachments

• 20231119_190840.jpg
    20231119_190840.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 28

buckpasser

Good job and great deer!!!

Gaswamp

It worked well. 240 yards. 100 gr Federal Hydrashok. He jumped straight in the air and fell over.
good caliber, heck of a thread my friend

AjaDog

So... I'm a bowhunter mostly but I do enjoy picking up a rifle for the last week of October till about mid November.

I recently picked up a new property that is really nice with a lot of buck sign from this past season. The kind of sign that a mature buck hunter as myself likes to see.

This property is 90% field with a power line running through it with the powerline splitting about 25 acres of woods.

I can position a tower stand where I can shoot about 350 yards in every direction.

I've never been a long range shooter. I've made 2 killing shots over 200 yards. One on a doe, the other a hog.

I have many calibers to choose from. 6mm Rem, 243, 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm-08.

I can make an argument for all of them .

Which one would you want in that situation?
30-06 all day everyday, maybe a occasional 300 WM, and for dessert nothing heavy but a .223

AjaDog

personally... 06.

I would choose that one because of the abundance of ammo, and if you plan on being consistent @ 350, you are going to be using lots of ammo. And not just at 350, but all 300, 250, 200, etc

Don't expect to pick a rifle, zero it a 200 or 250 and be a consistent, ethical killer just by shooting 10 or 20 rounds thru it.
Absolutely you are correct, I have two 5 gallon buckets of brass, 06, 308, 223,300WM,30-30, I used to shoot at least a couple hours a day on the weekend, and pop off a couple rounds in the evening, this is the way I look at it, if you're a professional football player what do you do???? Practice, a baseball player???? Practice, I've noticed from time to time, if I haven't shot in a week or two, my fundamentals get out of wack, I have a gun range at my house anywhere from 350 yds to the target burm, indoor ranges, do not give you real weather conditions a nd drift, elevations, there is quite a bit that goes into shooting, I will say the heavier the bullet the more consistent, just adjust for bullet drop,

Latest posts