Which of these calibers would you shoot...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Jester896

Senior Clown
a .308 would be a Low Wall if it was a Browning. The last time I found one...it was a .22-250 in High Wall (they made them both ways in that cal) and it was 16 hunurd...had to pass

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
a .308 would be a Low Wall if it was a Browning. The last time I found one...it was a .22-250 in High Wall (they made them both ways in that cal) and it was 16 hunurd...had to pass
I seem to see a lot of high wall 7MM Rem, but I just can't bring myself to like that round. 7 x 57, shoot yeah. Mag... not so much

I did see a 38-55 once, but I was a bit skeptical about finding ammo for it.

pacecars

I have used every cartridge you mentioned and there ain’t a whole lot of difference when shooting deer unless you plan on shooting past 300 yards. When I am not using a handgun my go to rifle is a Steyr M Professional.30-06 with a Kahles 6x42mm scope with a #4 reticle in it. It is a tack driver and has killed deer from under 5 yards to over 400 yards.

Big7

The Oracle
270 imo of the calibers listed. And actually target practice at 350. But any of those will kill a deer at 350. Just be proficient with whichever you pick. 308 is my favorite of those listed but I’m picking up my 7mm rm or 300 wm if I’m shooting over 300.
Me too.

BriarPatch99

Any of those cartridges will kill a deer at 350 yards ....with a bullet than will expand well at 350 yards ....a fellow has to remember that velocity has slowed and some bullet need more velocity to expand... at that range.

I would use a "softer" bullet if 350 yards were the normal.... Just realize that at 50 yards expansion is gonna be violent....

My choice would be a .25/06

Dub

I have a ordered a 6x24x50 vortex with BDC reticle. I have decide to put it on my 270 to use.

That's more than enough magnification to zoom way in on the full effective range of the .270 Win. It'll be great when you are on a powerline or clearcut and trying to see out there.

FFP or SFP ?

Illuminated ?

How fine is the reticle ?

Arrow3

That's more than enough magnification to zoom way in on the full effective range of the .270 Win. It'll be great when you are on a powerline or clearcut and trying to see out there.

FFP or SFP ?

Illuminated ?

How fine is the reticle ?
Here's the scope I ordered. Academy is giving a $100 gift card as well.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thanks for making me look it up. They make it in Crossfire, Diamondback and a few of the higher ends.

Interesting read...the 4-12X50AO has a 1" tube and 50MOA of vertical travel and the 6-24X50AO has a 30mm tube and only 40MOA of vertical travel

tcward

So... I'm a bowhunter mostly but I do enjoy picking up a rifle for the last week of October till about mid November.

I recently picked up a new property that is really nice with a lot of buck sign from this past season. The kind of sign that a mature buck hunter as myself likes to see.

This property is 90% field with a power line running through it with the powerline splitting about 25 acres of woods.

I can position a tower stand where I can shoot about 350 yards in every direction.

I've never been a long range shooter. I've made 2 killing shots over 200 yards. One on a doe, the other a hog.

I have many calibers to choose from. 6mm Rem, 243, 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm-08.

I can make an argument for all of them .

Which one would you want in that situation?
Close your eyes and pick one.

Big7

The Oracle
I got a Crossfire II #CF2-31033
6X18X44 "DEAD HOLD" (whatever that means)
BDC with MOA Reticle.

Looks very promising and I got it to go on a target 10-22 I've been building for a "while" facepalm:
I got the base, BX trigger and everything else to complete the build- just lazy I recon but we will see about the Vortex scopes.

My Guru at Elite turned me on to it so I said I'll try it. That, and Vortex have a contract to provide the US Military with optics for the new SIG FURY they are working on. Vortex must be a solid provider. They have a very good podcast too.

Arrow3

Well... after leaving the range today the best shooter was the 6mm remington. Smooth as can be and I was busting the kill zone out to 400 yards.

The 270 was good but I think I need to get a different ammo and re-zero

The 308 and 7mm-08 were great but neither has the glass that I like at 350.

The 3006 (new gun to me) was the worst. The trigger needs some work and the glass needs to be upgraded.