Which of these calibers would you shoot...

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
just calculating for 400... if you are sighted in at 100, you would have over 18 ft of drop at 400. that is a world of elevation you would have to crank into your setup.

It would be a challenge for sure. I looked at a ballistics chart, leaving @1280fps, it would be traveling right at 750fps @400, with a flight time of almost 2 seconds. That is a lot of time for wind to move things around out there
It's in FL, put up or shut up as the saying goes

they do it often we'll just say :cool:

rosewood

just calculating for 400... if you are sighted in at 100, you would have over 18 ft of drop at 400. that is a world of elevation you would have to crank into your setup.

It would be a challenge for sure. I looked at a ballistics chart, leaving @1280fps, it would be traveling right at 750fps @400, with a flight time of almost 2 seconds. That is a lot of time for wind to move things around out there
My Buffalo Classic in 45-70 with my cast 416 grain boolit drops about 20' at 500 yards and once I get my iron sights adjusted properly, I can hit the 30" steel plate regularly. :)

Rosewood

rosewood

I am also a big fan of the 7mm-08, however, I believe the .270 was the original "bean field" gun. It is quite capable at longer distances. And has an extremely good BC so you can get a greater maximum point blank range over most other cartridges listed. With proper bullet selection of course.

Rosewood

Mauser

270 imo of the calibers listed. And actually target practice at 350. But any of those will kill a deer at 350. Just be proficient with whichever you pick. 308 is my favorite of those listed but I’m picking up my 7mm rm or 300 wm if I’m shooting over 300.

tcward

Any of the calibers you mentioned. Just be sure you can shoot that far accurately. Big difference in 100 and 350 yards..

rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
I might choose the .270 too someone else mentioned the 200 yard zero and the drop was pretty spot on too depending on the speed.

they sure do shoot good @Nicodemus ...must be that long octagonal barrel...there is no up to it...just straight back and soft feeling.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I might choose the .270 too someone else mentioned the 200 yard zero and the drop was pretty spot on too depending on the speed.

they sure do shoot good @Nicodemus ...must be that long octagonal barrel...there is no up to it...just straight back and soft feeling.

28 inches of barrel. Unheard of in todays society. I know you, old Friend, you love these antique High Walls too. :cheers:

WishboneW

Balance the flattest shooting at that distance while maintaining high impact energy at that distance. My 243 is a killer out of 200 yards but at 350, while my 243 will kill, I'd go get myself a 270 or 30-06 if I had to regularly shoot at that distance. They both have plenty of commercial ammo options that will perform great, with -06 maybe being more widespread in availability?

I'd also focus as much, or more so even, on the glass that rides the rifle. Being able to hit the target in a kill zone reliably is more important than exactly which rifle / ammo combo you go with.
I would also recommend you buy and install an aftermarket trigger set on 2lbs with no creep.

Jester896

Senior Clown
28 inches of barrel. Unheard of in todays society. I know you, old Friend, you love these antique High Walls too. :cheers:
I sure do like mine. I need to get the scope back on mine so we can have a shoot out:cool: I think I only have 4 bullets left for mine. Might have to twist some up.