308 vs 270 vs 6.5

ucfireman

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Mossberg Patriot, wood stock with the vortex scope.
549.99 at Acadamy.
I like the idea of .308 for ammo availability and larger caliber
.270 is very available as well
6.5 is a little harder to find but may become very available in the future.
I want something without too much of a kick which I have read all 3 will fit the bill depending on bullet weight.
Any one care to tell me which one to buy? and your reason why?
I would like a .243 for the above reasons but for some reason that one is 100 more.
Would be for deer and possible something else but probably just deer or bear. South east.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I like the 308 for woods hunting and treestand hunting, but I would prefer the 270 if I mostly hunted big fields and power lines and longer shots.

Two great calibers but I am currently using a 7 mag for the latter slot.

ucfireman

I like the 308 for woods hunting and treestand hunting, but I would prefer the 270 if I mostly hunted big fields and power lines and longer shots.

Two great calibers but I am currently using a 7 mag for the latter slot.
I thought the 308 was pretty flat shooting. Truthfully I cant see myself ever taking a 200+ plus shot. I cant see that far first and then holding steady, probably not.

FlipKing

.270 is a great round, and very flat. It does have limited range of ammo and is expensive and kicks the most of the 3.

.308 is readily available, moderate kick. And can shoot a wide range of ammo. Less forgiving at range however.

6.5- mild kick, super accurate and easy to shoot distance. Not much bullet range however.

I have a hunting set up in .308 and 6.5 in the same rifle. I'm very happy with both. If I'm shooting a long range,.I grab the 6.5 with some hot hand loads. Woods I grab the .308.

I can give you the link where I buy my 6.5s from if you go that route.

Tight Lines

It depends on what you have already, and what you want to fill in...

I have all three...and the .243...

- .270 is a classic, and will always be my favorite...killed my first deer with that rifle...not as much ammo, kicks, and is a lot of round for deer...tears up too much meat for me...

- .308 will always be around, given it's military roots. Great round. Hard to beat it...

- 6.5CM is a great easy shooting round with plenty of killing ability in deer...love mine and it's my current go to round for deer...military has adopted it too due to long range accuracy so ammo will be available...

- .243 is great for deer too...have one of those...

So, if it were me, depending on what you have, I'd go 6.5CM because of all of those listed it is easy on the shoulder and smokin' accurate right out of the box...

Let us know what you do!

Last edited:

Dub

My favorite two deer cartridges are .270 & .308.

For the type hunting you described, I would say get the .308.

You will find hunting ammo on the shelves in 150gr, 165gr and 180gr. Buy a box of each and see what the gun shoots best.

You truly can’t go wrong between the three cartridges you named, however…..provided you can find HUNTING ammo not target ammo.

The 6.5CM will recoil a bit less than the other two.

Kev

Get the .308. It drops deer sized animals in their tracts. It’s a great all around gun and does fine at moderate ranges. I’m not the best shooter but don’t have a problem killing deer out of a deer stand at 250 yards with my .308

SC Hunter

The 270 kicks a good bit more than the other two. The 308 will kill whatever you want to kill especially if you never shoot past 200 yards. The 6.5 has the least recoil of the 3. 308 ammo is everywhere while 6.5 ammo got hard to find for a while.

HughW2

All three are deadly. All three will work well inside 200 yards.
Railroader summed it up well though: go with the .308 for the easiest to find, greatest selection to choose from and least expensive ammo for all three.

35 Whelen

308 Winchester. Ammunition availability, as others have mentioned, is an important decision now when deciding what to buy.

Reactions: Dub
Of the three listed, I'd favor the .308 Winchester too. If not for availability issues I'd put the .270 Winchester on equal ground with the .308. Coin toss.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is fine for whitetail hunting, but it wouldn't make my top three. Too bad the .260 Remington has all but disappeared from most manufacturer's lineup.

I like the .243 Winchester. It seems the Creedmoor craze has diminished its popularity among bolt action buyers too.